Did you EVER think we would see this day?

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you EVER think we would see this day?#1
Posted: 12/21/07 at 8:07am
Sweeney Todd opens in MOVIE THEATRES! Who would have thought that nearly 30 years after it opened on Broadway, at a time when movie musicals were pretty much dead, that after all these years of imagining how WE would make this classic into a film, that this day would ever arrive?

I just had to say that. I know it is being hyped beyond belief and by now people may be tired of hearing about Depp and Burton, but I think it is important to reflect on this for just one moment.

Swing your razor wide!
PEACE.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I never thought we'd see Dreamgirls or Chicago as films either. Especially NOW. Those shows are all roughly 30 years old!

The usual perception is that if it isn't made into a movie shortly after it closes (or even while it's running), the "train has passed it by," and it's pretty much done for.

A lot has changed now. They're not looking to adapt recent musicals OR Tony-winners only. Or even blockbuster shows.

Come up with a cinematic script, get a reputable director and a box office star or two attached, and anything is possible! I love it! (...to quote Lilianne La Fleur from the forthcoming "Nine").

I wonder if we could see film versions of:

The Most Happy Fella
Big River
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Ragtime
Into the Woods
Sunday in the Park

or (improved) remakes of:
Mame
Guys & Dolls
Brigadoon
The Wiz

Anything is possible.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
EponineAmneris Profile PhotoEponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
After all the hype, I was FLOORED by the movie when I was able to see it at a sneek peek and can say it truly lives up to and deserves the hype.

I'm excited that the genre seems to making a comeback.

best12bars, I'd LOVE to see INTO THE WOODS on the big screen re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?
"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Ivan the Wonderful Profile PhotoIvan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I want to be inside Johnny Depp. Or visa versa.LOL
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
Becky2 Profile PhotoBecky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm beaming with pride and joy. :) Then again, that might change if I end up not liking it, I'm not seeing it until 4:00 today.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm alive at last!
And I'm full of joy!
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I was at the Uris in Jan. of 1980, I never would have thought there would be a movie version of Sweeney Todd. It amazes me that it happened.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MOST HAPPY FELLA would just be a glorious film. Shoot the entire thing in Napa during 'magic hour' and it would look fantastic.

I always thought a television film with Audra, Megan Mullaley and (until I actually saw him do the role) Paul Sorvino would be magnificent.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Rosalind Profile PhotoRosalind Profile Photo
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think one of the most exciting aspects also is there are so many people out there that see musicals in one light. Having a show like Sweeney be released with a director as (in?)famous as Tim Burton, and an actor as popular as Depp will have all SORTS of audiences going to the theatre, and they'll see a type of musical they didn't know existed.

I know my boyfriend basically thought all musicals were Oklahoma until I took him to a production of Urinetown and he thought Little Sally and Officer Lockstock were amazing.

I'm really excited to hear the opinions of people who DON'T often enjoy/attend musicals.
"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
With the successes of Phantom Of The Opera, Chicago, and Dreamgirls recently the sky is the limit for Stage shows to make a huge comeback and I hope they will. I can't wait till later on today to see Sweeney Todd, it has to be one of my all time favorite shows.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#10
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:50am
I think Most Happy Fella works on so many levels for a film adaptation. It's not widely known by the general public, yet it has a handful of "oldies" hits ("Standin' On the Corner" was a #1 hit). The story is controversial enough even for today's movie audiences. The score is brilliant and by most "undiscovered," it's hugely romantic, the roles are meaty, and (as you said) the location photography could knock our eyes out.

Stock it full of movie stars, a solid adapted script, with killer cinematography and the right director... and it could be wonderful and very successful.

I feel the same way about "Brigadoon" (except that it's much more widely known). Shoot it on location in Scotland with the right cast and director, and it could clean up.

Same thing with Big River. A beautiful location shoot with big-name stars (some film stars and a few big country music stars)... and watch the tickets sell.

EDIT: And the crazy part (to tie it back into this thread, and get me out of my "tangent") is that all of these projects could realistically happen! Something I never thought I'd see again on the big screen in my lifetime.
Updated On: 12/21/07 at 10:50 AM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#11
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:52am
At last my right arm is complete again!
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#12
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:53am
Brigadoon has such great music in it, but I agree the original was not well done. The scenery was just awful.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#13
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:56am
The "magic" of Brigadoon lies in the story and the acting... not in storybook sets or special effects.

Shoot it on location in Scotland, and let the misty Highlands take over... then cast killer actors who believe honestly in what they're doing... and watch the magic unfold.
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#14
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:58am
best12bars, In a dream world, who do you think would a be the perfect director?
"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#15
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:02am
If I weren't seeing it in two hours, I wouldn't believe it myself. Movie musicals again! And Sweeney of all things! I always thought of Sondheim as a private treasure that the masses were missing out on, mainly because they had neither the opportunity nor the interest. I wonder if musicals will ever become part of mainstream popular culture again, without the theatre geek stigma attached?
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#16
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:05am
Though I'd sell my mom and a kidney to hear Audra sing the score of MOST HAPPY FELLA, Anne Hathaway is really making her way to leading-ladydom. A titch young for it, she still might be able to make it work. Hell...even Zellwegger could work as Cleo. But who who who as Tony?
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#17
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:09am
For Brigadoon?

God, I don't know. Someone who believes in it as much as I do. Brigadoon has a "darkness" to it. It's mysterious... It's a legend... and it's quietly and intensely romantic.

My short list would include Scorsese, Condon, Marshall and Pollack... but I'd like to see an established director, maybe of a darker or quieter genre, come forward with the passion to guide it. Someone like Sophia Coppola.

And casting?

So many possibilities for the leads and supporting leads...

Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johannson, Renne Zellweger, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe

Many great choices with either younger or slightly older actors.

EDIT: Ann Hathaway would make a wonderful Fiona too.

And for Tony in Most Happy Fella? "He's an old man, an old man..." First name that popped into my mind who might completely GO for it would be Nicholson.
Updated On: 12/21/07 at 11:09 AM
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#18
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:17am
Of the 'old guard' (Nicholson, Pacino, Deniro) Nicholson is really the only one who has given a really revelatory performance about what it means to be an old man (ABOUT SCHMIDT...I can't watch that movie without thinking about my dad). Lord knows what he'd sound like singing it...but it could be magnificent.

Eastwood? Too virile? Peter Fonda? Not a big enough star probably. Alan Alda? He actually has sung in his life.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#19
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:47am
I thought about Eastwood and had the same reaction you did, Robbie.

Tony needs to be a bit repulsive at first, to both Rosabella and the audience. He's fighting the odds. He's fighting convention. And he's fighting our preconceived conception of who this person is.

Nicholson could face those battles head on, both as a "star" and as "Tony." And I have no doubt he would win us over. OH, did I mention he's a big, fat, f*ckin' movie star?

The only thing about Rosabella (at least) is that you can't go TOO young with her or it would be unsettling to the audience. I'm thinking someone like Nicole Kidman would be right. She should be still "fairly" young, and pretty. But also realizing that her days as "the sweet young thing" are numbered. She's a waitress in a diner and this may be as far as she goes in life. Nicole could play that beautifully. And it gives her a great motivation to be with Tony.

And Renee IS Cleo. She'd be perfect with her Texas roots! The only other actress that came instantly to mind was Toni Collette.

And I can see Jake Gyllenhaal as Herman, but he'd be a tad young for Renee. They would tear up on Big D, though!

And someone like Hugh Jackman or Russell Crowe for Joe. Or (don't shoot me!) Michael Buble (sp?) because he could sing the sh*t out of it. Wait! Harry Connick Jr., even better.

And Meryl Streep for Tony's sister Marie! (Just put her back in her Bridges of Madison County get-up.)
Updated On: 12/21/07 at 11:47 AM
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#20
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:48am
Anne Hathaway would be great, yeah.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#21
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:58am
God, I would love to see beautiful big-screen adaptations of Most Happy Fella and Big River as well as Once On This Island (though I've always thought it would be beautiful as an animated film). I've been waiting forever for a film of Les Miz and I think Miss Saigon really lends itself well to film. Chess could, too.

I've got my tickets for Sweeney on Sunday and I'm really looking forward to Nine. I just hope they keep 'em coming!
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#22
Posted: 12/21/07 at 12:01pm
How about Winslet as Rosabella? She's over thirty and can sing (a little, right?). And she hasn't deadened her face with botox!

Gyllenhal as Herman is perfection. As is Connick, Jr. as Joey. And Zellwegger's OH, MY FEET would be a divine way to start the film.
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#23
Posted: 12/21/07 at 12:04pm
She's a pretty good singer. Have you seen Romance and Cigarettes?
She acts songs well.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did you EVER think we would see this day?#24
Posted: 12/21/07 at 12:07pm
I'm right there with you Sue!

And a film version of Most Happy Fella would be GLORIOUS!

I'm very excited!

Leave it to Ivan to turn this into smut.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2