WAKE UP with BWW 7/10/2015 - PENN & TELLER Opens Sunday and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: Penn & Teller officially come back to New York this Sunday, a crazy cat lady invades 47th Street and more!
Next up in our series of stars introducing BWW's morning feature are Penn Jillette and Teller (portrait by Walter McBride), who just returned to Broadway with their mind-bending illusions and humor!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- THE LION KING welcomes a new 'Mufasa' and 'Simba' tonight!
- MRS. SMITH'S BROADWAY CAT-TACULAR! begins tonight off-Broadway!
- The cast of ALADDIN performs today at the Kids' State Dinner in D.C.
- THE VISIT Original Broadway Cast Recording hits stores today.
- Married stars Keir Dullea & Mia Dillon lead ON GOLDEN POND, starting tonight at Bucks County...
- And PENN & TELLER ON BROADWAY officially opens on Sunday - check back for our live Review Roundup!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Bryce Pinkham is returning to A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER this month!
- Aaron Tveit is set to star as 'Danny Zuko' in Fox's GREASE LIVE!
- Broadway's KINKY BOOTS is headed down under.
- We got a first look (right) at magical duo Penn & Teller at the Marquis, plus a peek in rehearsal for Encores! THE WILD PARTY!
- Glenn Close could be reprising her role in SUNSET BOULEVARD at ENO, while MATILDA's Bertie Carvel will star in THE HAIRY APE at the Old Vic this fall...
- York Theatre Company will honor the legendary Angela Lansbury at their 2015 gala.
- On the regional front, Sandra Oh & André De Shields are headed to Chicago, while Glenn Howerton & Rory O'Malley will do Shakespeare in San Diego!
- And finally, Patti LuPone got a taste of this month's "cell phone hell" on Broadway...
Broadway Weather Forecast: Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 80s all weekend. And none of that pesky rain!
Quote of the Day: In honor of Jerry Herman's birthday and the weekend, here are some our favorite lyrics to HELLO, DOLLY!'s "Put On Your Sunday Clothes"...
Put on your Sunday clothes when you feel down and out
Strut down the street and have your picture took
Dressed like a dream your spirits seem to turn about
That Sunday shine is a certain sign
That you feel as fine as you look!
Beneath your parasol, the world is all a smile
That makes you feel brand new down to your toes
Get out your feathers
Your patent leathers
Your beads and buckles and bows
For there's no blue Monday in your Sunday clothes!
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!