WAKE UP with BWW 3/13/2015 - AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, SKYLIGHT, ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: It's a weekend of beginnings - AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, SKYLIGHT, HAND TO GOD and FINDING NEVERLAND all start previews, and ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY opens on Sunday!
Next up in our series of stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Tom Galantich (portrait by Walter McBride), currrent star of off-Broadway's CLINTON THE MUSICAL, who has appeared on Broadway in DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER, DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, MAMMA MIA! and CITY OF ANGELS!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and SKYLIGHT begin previews on Broadway tonight!
- Sutton Foster makes her solo debut at Carnegie Hall with the New York Pops this evening...
- Norbert Leo Butz and Caissie Levy join Jason Robert Brown at SubCulture tonight.
- SWITZERLAND, starring Laura Linney, opens tonight in Los Angeles!
- Broadway's HAND TO GOD (more here) and FINDING NEVERLAND start performances this weekend.
- And ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, with Kristin Chenoweth and Peter Gallagher, opens on Sunday!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Audra McDonald is returning to Broadway in the new musical 'SHUFFLE ALONG' next spring!
- Lea Salonga and Telly Leung will star alongside George Takei in Broadway's ALLEGIANCE.
- Disney has officially announced plans for a FROZEN sequel!
- Lenny Henry has been tapped to host the 2015 Olivier Awards.
- Casey Nicholaw could be directing DREAMGIRLS in the West End...
- BEAUTIFUL's Rebecca LaChance will star with Michael Ball MACK & MABEL in the UK!
- We got a sneak peek (right) at GLEE's two-hour series finale.
- And Princess Cruises is partnering with composer Stephen Schwartz!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Sunny with a high of 47 today, rainy on Saturday but warm at 56 degrees, and overcast on Sunday with highs in the low 50s. The temperature is climbing - wear that lighter coat to the theatre!
Quote of the Day: In honor of her return to the Great White Way, a word from Tony winner Audra McDonald...
"I feel a connection to many songs that I won't sing because I don't think they are right for me! There is something in my gut that immediately responds. There's no science to it."
-- Audra McDonald (via BrainyQuote)
And a Happy Birthday shout-out to William H. Macy, who turns 65 today!
Macy last starred on Broadway in Speed-the-Plow in 2008; the actor made his debut in Our Town in 1988. He founded the St. Nicholas Theater Company with David Mamet in 1971, which led to him originating roles in and directing several of Mamet's premieres. A prolific off-Broadway star, Macy has appeared in American Buffalo, Oleanna, Mr. Gogol and Mr. Preen, Life During Wartime, Bobby Gould in Hell, Bodies, Rest and Motion, The Nice and the Nasty, Prairie du Chien and The Shawl, Baby with the Bathwater, The Dining Room, The Beaver Coat, Twelfth Night, The Man in 605 and The Cannibals. He also directed The Joy of Going Somewhere Definite, Three Sisters and Boys' Life. Macy has starred on the big screen in Bobby, Seabiscuit, Magnolia, Pleasantville, Boogie Nights, Psycho, Fargo, and more. Among his TV credits are the series Shameless, ER, and several award-winning TV movies.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!