Times Says No Broadway this Season for SCOTTSBORO BOYS
The New York Times is reporting that the Off-Broadway musical 'The Scottsboro Boys' will not be transferring to Broadway as expected, at least for now.
Two theaters were being considered for the possible transfer, but the producers felt neither site was a fit for the show.
From the New York Times: "Barry Weissler, one of the commercial producers attached to the musical, which is sold out through its closing at the Vineyard Theater on April 18, said neither theater was an ideal fit for the show, inspired by historical accounts of a group of young black men who are falsely accused in the 1930s of raping two white woman."
"Henry Miller's Theater is "too glamorous and sprawling" for the emotionally intimate story, said Mr. Weissler ("Chicago"). And Circle in the Square would require the show's director and choreographer, Susan Stroman, to quickly re-stage it for an in-the-round production if there was any hope of opening the show before the April 29 eligibility cut-off for the 2010 Tony Awards."
"It looks like a foregone conclusion" that the musical will not move to Broadway this season, Mr. Weissler said, given the bookings at most theater houses this spring. He said he is continuing to look at theaters that might be available for the show during the 2010-11 season. He declined to name those theaters."
'The Scottsboro Boys' officially opened on March 10 Vineyard Theater and is running thru April 18.
With music and lyrics by John Kander and Fred Ebb, and a book by David Thompson, THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS is a stirring new musical that explores the infamous 1930's 'Scottsboro Case', in which a group of innocent African-American teenagers are falsely accused of a terrible crime -- ultimately provoking a national outrage that sparked the American Civil Rights movement.
THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS reunites Vineyard Theatre with John Kander, book writer David Thompson and Susan Stroman -- who along with the late Fred Ebb -- previously collaborated on TheVineyard's revival of FLORA, THE RED MENACE in 1987.
The 13-member cast of THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS will feature two-time Tony winner John Cullum, Colman Domingo, Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon, Sean Bradford, Josh Breckenridge, Derrick Cobey, Rodney Hicks, KendRick Jones, Forrest McClendon, Julius Thomas III, Sharon Washington, Cody Ryan Wise and ChristIan White.
THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS has set design by Beowulf Boritt, costume design by Toni-Leslie James, lighting design by Kevin Adams and sound design by Peter Hylenski. David Loud is music director; orchestrations are by Larry Hochman.
Vineyard Theatre is the recipient of the Tony Award for the musical AVENUE Q and continues as producer of the musical's current production at New World Stages in New York. The Vineyard has also produced the musical [title of show] on Broadway. One of the nation's leading non-profit theatre companies dedicated to new plays, new musicals and bold programming, The Vineyard has produced the Pulitzer Prize-winning productions of Edward Albee's THREE TALL WOMEN and Paula Vogel's HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE. The Vineyard has consistently premiered provocative, groundbreaking works and developed innovative educational collaborations. Recent productions include Tarell Alvin McCraney's acclaimed WIG OUT!. The Vineyard opened its 2009-2010 season with the enormously popular play A BOY AND HIS SOUL, written and performed by Colman Domingo, which The Vineyard has announced is expected to receive a commercial Off-Broadway production later this season. This spring, The Vineyard will produce the world premiere of Adam Rapp's THE METAL CHILDREN and the new musical THE BURNT PART BOYS by Mariana Elder, Nathan Tysen and Chris Miller, directed by Joe Colarco, in co-production with Playwrights Horizons.
THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS will perform Tuesdays at 7 pm., Wednesdays through Fridays at 8 pm; Saturdays at 3 and 8 pm and Sundays at 3 pm.