BMI Announces Musical Theatre Workshop Showcase
The BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop will present its top works at this year's showcase on Monday, April 1st at 3 PM and 6 PM. The shows will be held at The Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater in New York City (10 West 64th Street) and will premiere performances of the best of songs written and composed by recent members of this Drama League, Drama Desk and Tony honored workshop.
"BMI is thrilled to present these new works written and composed by our highly talented workshop members," said BMI Director of Jazz & Musical Theatre, Patrick Cook. "We're extremely proud of the musical talent that has come through the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre workshop over the years and will continue to develop and support rising talent in the musical theatre community for years to come."
The showcases will feature new music written by several of the workshops esteemed composers and lyricists for shows that are in development. Performances include:
- Laura Kleinbaum & Willem Oosthuysen: "Back to My Arms" from #MARS
- Janine McGuire & Arri Lawton Simon: "I Could Get Used to This" from Borders
- Jessica Fleitman & Rick Bassett: "What Even" and "No Big Deal" from The Average-Sized Mermaid
- Sam Wessels & Marc Chan: "You'll Always Be My Little Boy" from George
- Tia DeShazor & Andy Roninson: "Going to the Moon, Mama" from The Rocket Thrower
- Phoebe Kreutz & Dan Israel: "Close Your Eyes" and "Fifty Good Men" from Holy Crap: The Worst Parts of the Bible
- Erin Murray Quinlan: "What I Mean" from God Save Queen Pam
- Jae Broderick & Dylan MarcAurele: "Knock Knock" from The Santa Clause
- Benjamin Velez: "Wanna Go Out?" from Borderline
- Oliver Houser: "Chris-Becca Land" from XY
- Christian Duhamel & Ayumi Okada: "Every Day" from The Uncivil Ones
- Jack Coen: "Ah, Well" and "The Phenomenon of 'I'" from Joe Jenkins Before the Galactic High-Court of Consciousness
- Sami Horneff & Ben Diskant: "We Could Be" from The Pirate Princess
- Jae Broderick & Andre McRae: "Encyclopedia Brown" from Speechless
BMI's Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop has helped develop top talent for half a century. Lyricists and composers behind award-winning productions such as A Chorus Line, Little Shop of Horrors, Nine, Once on This Island, Ragtime, Avenue Q, Next To Normal, and The Book of Mormon are past members of the workshop as well as steering committee members like legendary talents Alan Menken, Frederick Freyer, Nancy Golladay, Adam Mathias, Jane Smulyan, Sarah Wordsworth, Maury Yeston and David Spencer.
To RSVP for the event please email BMIMusicalTheatre@bmi.com and note your name, show time and the number of tickets. For more information on the workshop and its history, visit https://www.bmi.com/theatre_workshop.
Celebrating over 78 years of service to songwriters, composers, music publishers and businesses, Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) is a global leader in music rights management, serving as an advocate for the value of music. BMI represents the public performance rights in over 14 million musical works created and owned by more than 900,000 songwriters, composers, and music publishers. The Company negotiates music license agreements and distributes the fees it generates as royalties to its affiliated writers and publishers when their songs are performed in public. In 1939, BMI created a groundbreaking open-door policy becoming the only performing rights organization to welcome and represent the creators of blues, jazz, country, and American roots music. Today, the musical compositions in BMI's repertoire, from chart toppers to perennial favorites, span all genres of music and are consistently among the most-performed hits of the year. For additional information and the latest BMI news, visit bmi.com.