2018/2019 Announced at Spencer Theater For The Performing Arts
Follow the yellow brick road to the theatrical wonderland of Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts in Alto, N.M. where some of the finest touring productions come to full flourish on stage this autumn 2018 through spring 2019.
Kicking-off October 3rd, the season includes 13 outstanding shows, 8 of which are major theatrical productions. The performances run the gamut from internationally acclaimed cultural gems of old world Mexican, Spanish & Celtic music and dance traditions plus beautifully choreographed displays of Chinese acrobats; record-breaking Broadway musicals and grand illusionists; sizzling 1940's era big band and swing tributes with tap and jumping jive action, a classic country superstar, an acapella beatbox styled holiday concert and a beloved classical ballet - a true Christmas favorite. It's all available at the Spencer Theater, the award-winning state-of-art performance hall located just north of Ruidoso in beautiful Lincoln County. Get your seats, join the fun, and help to further our mission to enhance the cultural lives of all.
Single show ticket sales begin September 11. Series sales of tickets start September 10 (if four or more shows are purchased).For ticket sales and information, visit www.spencertheater.com or call the Spencer Theater Box Office at 575.336.4800. Make sure to view Spencer website video clips of each show to further appreciate how talent-packed and elaborate some of these coming productions are!
What's on stage this season:
• Benise - Fuego! The Spirit of Spain - Wednesday, October 3 at 7 p.m. ($39- $75). The prince of Spanish guitar takes us on a romantic and exotic journey into the heart of Spain with the Emmy-winning guitarist Benise performing blazing arrangements of classical, traditional and nuevo flamenco rhythms with a cast of dancers and band of musicians. Beautiful choreography, elaborate costuming and scenic drops help set the celebratory scene. Side note: it's the Spencer's 21st anniversary this very night. Come on out to share our worldly success! Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• Ballet Folklórico de México - Wednesday, October 10 at 7 p.m. ($39-$65). Considered the crown jewel of Mexican culture, this internationally touring showcase of 40 folklorico dancers & 20 mariachi musicians unveils a rich tapestry of national traditions. The production's cascading lines of movement, swirling costuming, eye-popping colors and ornately choreographed dance reflect ancient pre-Columbian civilizations through the modern era. Chicken Enchiladas & Rellenos Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The New Chinese Acrobats - Tuesday, October 23 at 7 p.m. ($39 - $65). These acclaimed acrobats mix fresh acrobatic techniques with ancient traditions in a captivating 2,000-year-old folk art of inner-harmony and daring-do: award-winning displays of high-flying trapeze arts, aerial balance, dance, juggling and acrobatic comedy. Ginger Cashew Chicken or Mongolian Beef Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• "The Sound of Music" - Monday, November 12 at 7 p.m. and Tuesday, November 13 at 1 p.m. ($79-$85). Based on the true tale of Maria and the Von Trapp Family Singers in pre-WWII Austria and their spirited, romantic adventure amidst Nazi aggression, this beloved musical features a cast of Equity actors, singers, dancers, musicians, and a Tony, Grammy and Academy Award winning Best Score: "Do-Re-Mi," "My Favorite Things," "Edleweiss," "The Sound of Music" and more. Buffets, $20 each: Herbed Brined Pork Roast at 5 p.m. Monday; Quiche Lorraine, Soup & Salad Bar at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
• VoicePlay, A Holiday Special - Friday, November 30 at 7 p.m. ($39-$65). Doo Wop-styled and acappella, these five vocalists (two tenors, a bass, baritone and vocal percussionist) share Christmas Classics and holiday favorites with imaginative harmonics and lighthearted antics. Tempura Cod Filet Buffet ($20) at 5p.m.
• THE NUTCRACKER featuring Ruidoso's Dalí Ballet Company - Saturday, December 22 at 2 p.m. & 7 p.m. and Sunday, December 23 at 2 p.m. ($30). This adaptation of Tchaikovsky's Christmas classic is true eye-candy with outstanding dancers, lavish sets, special effects and gorgeous costumes. Performance proceeds benefit the nonprofit Dalí Ballet.
• Gene Watson, Country Classic - Saturday, February 9 at 7 p.m. ($39-$65). With a powerful voice, multi-octave range and searing steel guitar, Gene Watson and his band share his many smooth country hits including "Fourteen Carat Mind," "Paper Rosie," "Farewell Party" and more. Southern Fried Chicken Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• Murphy's Celtic Legacy - Saturday, February 23 at 7 p.m. ($69-$75). This Irish company features more than 20 musicians and dancers with some of the quickest, most expressive legs in the world. Most of the cast previously starred in "Riverdance" and "Lord of the Dance." Traditional Beef Pot Roast Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Wizard of OZ - Sunday, March 10 at 1 p.m. & 7 p.m. ($79-$85). Based on the 1939 MGM movie classic, this treasured musical follows the yellow brick road from Broadway to the technical wonderland of the Spencer with a stellar cast of 30+ singers, actors, orchestra musicians and plus awesome sets and breathtaking special effects. Produced by one of the most respected touring Broadway companies in the country. Glazed Spiral Ham Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Illusionists Live >From Broadway - Tuesday, March 19 at 7 p.m. ($79-$85) Broadway's biggest selling magic spectacular, this mind-blowing, high-tech extravaganza features a cast of five individual artists with titles that bely incredibly specialized skills: The Daredevil, The Deductionist, The Grand Illusionist, The Manipulator and The Trickster. Shrimp & Beef Kebabs Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Satin Dolls "Sing, Swing and Sizzle!" - Saturday, April 13 at 7 p.m. ($39 - $65). This ensemble of entertainment beauties sing and tap-dance big band classics in a costumed stage show reminiscent of a 1940s USO tour. Joined by a 5-piece band, the night of music includes "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," "In The Mood, "String of Pearls" and more. Roasted Red Chile Turkey Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• "Jump Jive & Wail" Starring The Jive Aces - Saturday, April 27 at 7 p.m. ($39 - $65). Decked out in brilliant Zoot suits and armed with big brass horns and strings, this 6-man British swing band is renowned for its infectious arrangements of big band classics and rockabilly rhythms: "Sing, Sing, Sing," "That Old Black Magic," "Boogie Woogie Country Girl" and more. Special guest actress/vocalist Makinna Ridgway adds a satiny finish to a number of tunes. Homestyle Angus Beef Meatloaf Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• CATS - Tuesday, May 14 at 7 p.m. and Wednesday, May 15 at 1 p.m. ($79-$85). This Andrew Lloyd Webber stage phenomenon features an utterly unique story about a magical tribe of cats gathering at its annual ball. Winner of 7 Tony Awards including Best Musical, CATS features an Equity cast of performers, outstanding singers, dancers, sets and costumes, and one of the most treasured melodies in musical theater, "Memory." Buffets, $20 each: Italian Sausage or Chicken Pasta Bar at 5 p.m. Tuesday; Fried Chicken & Waffles at 11 a.m. Wednesday.
Get your season tickets now! Series tickets (four or more shows) will be processed beginning September 10. Single tickets and phone sales begin September 11. For tickets or information call the Spencer Theater at 575.336.4800 or go online to www.spencertheater.com. Fax: (575) 336-0055. By mail: Donna Clarke, Box Office Manager, Spencer Theater, 108 Spencer Road, Alto, NM 88312.