Comscore
Advertisement

Page:

English National Opera to stage muscicals

Eurotrash Profile PhotoEurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
Stand-by
Stand-by
Exciting news today, great interview with artist director John Berry in today's Independent. Great opportunity for shows that would benefit from a big orchestra.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/the-london-coliseum-a-revolution-at-the-opera-9298766.html

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This is indeed good news, and I will be excited to see what they come up with.

Would be good to see some large-scale productions of the more "classical" Sondheim pieces like A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC or even FOLLIES.

RAGTIME would be a great one for them to do!

However, I think they will stick to more traditional Rodgers and Hammerstein type pieces.

This may be a good platform for a new production of Lerner and Loewe's CAMELOT for example.

Looking forward to the Summer announcement!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Their Pacific Overtures was utterly sublime.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They will want to open with something well known, just to get a foothold, like The King and I, Oklahoma or Showboat.

No point opening a new venture, with stuff not very well known, tickets don't get sold as the piece is too obscure the whole idea gets scupper end and it disappears into thin air. The more ambitious pieces can be done further down the line, once the whole idea gets legs.

This could be a British version of Encores (except our version would have to do both British and American musicals).

TBFL Profile PhotoTBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
An ENO production of Titanic would be spectacular, with the full orchestra, chorus, and set.
hanschens Profile Photohanschens Profile Photo
hanschens
Stand-by
Stand-by
Oooh, I'd love for them to do Anything Goes!
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
How about a big production of Kiss of The Spider Woman??
Eurotrash Profile PhotoEurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
Stand-by
Stand-by
All of those would be good. And I wouldn't say no to Sunset Boulevard...
Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
They're planning to do what the Chatelet theatre (Paris) has been showing and producing for 5 years :
- On the Town (ENO production)
- Show Boat (South African production)
- My Fair Lady
- West Side Story (Sadlers Wells production with a big orchestra)
- A Little Night Music
- Sweeney Todd
- Sunday in the Park with George
- Follies (Toulon/Metz opera production)
- The Sound of Music
- Carousel (co-produced with Opera North)
- Into the Woods
- The King and I (which will be played in June 2014)
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where did you get your information from?b
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ooooops, I miswrote what I thought :
"They're planning to do THE KIND OF THINGS that the Chatelet theatre (Paris) has been showing and producing for 5 years"
Sorry !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know your sources, it is possible you could be making this all up, but I think you know more than you actually let on.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nosferatu, are those actual shows which they plan to do or just an example of what the Chatelet are doing?
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Phantom and Clap : I'm not giving you any information about their plans. I'm just saying they're not the first people to have had the same ideas elsewhere in the world... Nothing more !
chrisv2 Profile Photochrisv2 Profile Photo
chrisv2
Swing
Swing
The production they did of ON THE TOWN a few years back was very run-of-the-mill
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
That was the ENO production starring Caroline O'Connor !
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well Nosferatu, thank you for the hints you've provided so far!
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The less said about their Kismet, the better...

Fingers crossed for something big and flashy like 42nd Street
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think 42nd Street is unlikely much as I'd want to see it done, I imagine they'll go for the Rodgers and Hammerstein or Lerner and Loewe first, Brigadoon and Camelot haven't been revived in nearly 30 years so they'd be my choices.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm guessing West Side Story, The King and I, Brigadoon, Camelot, Candide or Follies... Definitely something of the more 'classical' sphere
Whileshesleeps
Understudy
Understudy
Kristina?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to say I'll be somewhat disappointed if all they come up with is a list of revivals. To me, that would make the whole thing a pointless exercise. Surely this is a chance to produce something new rather than churn out the kind of revivals that the West End stages anyway.

Much as I would enjoy lavish new productions of Camelot, etc - and much as I adored the fantastic production of A Little Night Music at the Chatelet - I would much prefer to see the ENO premiering something like The Light In The Piazza or The Bridges Of Madison County or, as Whileshesleeps suggested, Kristina.

Don't get me wrong - if they were to stage Follies or Showboat, I'd be booking my ticket for sure and would no doubt love the productions. But I think that would be such a wasted opportunity.
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie*****
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If the ENO are going to produce musicals because opera's dont create enough revenue, I doubt they'll go for a new, unknown piece. It will definitely be a revival.
FireFingers Profile PhotoFireFingers Profile Photo
FireFingers
Stand-by
Stand-by
It's not a case of operas not making money. They have always had gaps in their season, which have traditionally been hired out to other people. They are putting musicals in these gaps. The number of operas isn't going down. Or so they say.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Staging musicals and potentially transferring them will add money to the coffers, the fact they're teaming up with Michael Grade and Michael Linnit suggests this is the case.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
An ENO production of The Light in the Piazza would be glorious.

However it would not be a premiere. The Curve already had it!
Delightful performance from Caroline Sheen as Clara and I was fortunate enough to see Jasna Ivir play Margaret.

Its one of the best shows written this century and sad that it doesn't get more productions in the UK. Don't think I will ever forget Vicky Clark's performance on Broadway.

That said I would love to see more regular productions of the classic Broadway musicals that demand legit voices, large chorus and an actual orchestra.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to: