English National Opera to stage muscicals

Eurotrash
Chorus Member
Exciting news today, great interview with artist director John Berry in today's Independent. Great opportunity for shows that would benefit from a big orchestra.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/the-london-coliseum-a-revolution-at-the-opera-9298766.html

AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
This is indeed good news, and I will be excited to see what they come up with.

Would be good to see some large-scale productions of the more "classical" Sondheim pieces like A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC or even FOLLIES.

RAGTIME would be a great one for them to do!

However, I think they will stick to more traditional Rodgers and Hammerstein type pieces.

This may be a good platform for a new production of Lerner and Loewe's CAMELOT for example.

Looking forward to the Summer announcement!
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ****
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Their Pacific Overtures was utterly sublime.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
They will want to open with something well known, just to get a foothold, like The King and I, Oklahoma or Showboat.

No point opening a new venture, with stuff not very well known, tickets don't get sold as the piece is too obscure the whole idea gets scupper end and it disappears into thin air. The more ambitious pieces can be done further down the line, once the whole idea gets legs.

This could be a British version of Encores (except our version would have to do both British and American musicals).

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel****
TBFL
Featured Actor
An ENO production of Titanic would be spectacular, with the full orchestra, chorus, and set.
hanschens
Stand-by
Oooh, I'd love for them to do Anything Goes!
TBFL
Featured Actor
How about a big production of Kiss of The Spider Woman??
Eurotrash
Chorus Member
All of those would be good. And I wouldn't say no to Sunset Boulevard...
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
They're planning to do what the Chatelet theatre (Paris) has been showing and producing for 5 years :
- On the Town (ENO production)
- Show Boat (South African production)
- My Fair Lady
- West Side Story (Sadlers Wells production with a big orchestra)
- A Little Night Music
- Sweeney Todd
- Sunday in the Park with George
- Follies (Toulon/Metz opera production)
- The Sound of Music
- Carousel (co-produced with Opera North)
- Into the Woods
- The King and I (which will be played in June 2014)
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Where did you get your information from?b
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel****
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Ooooops, I miswrote what I thought :
"They're planning to do THE KIND OF THINGS that the Chatelet theatre (Paris) has been showing and producing for 5 years"
Sorry !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I don't know your sources, it is possible you could be making this all up, but I think you know more than you actually let on.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Nosferatu, are those actual shows which they plan to do or just an example of what the Chatelet are doing?
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow *****
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Phantom and Clap : I'm not giving you any information about their plans. I'm just saying they're not the first people to have had the same ideas elsewhere in the world... Nothing more !
chrisv2
Swing
The production they did of ON THE TOWN a few years back was very run-of-the-mill
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
That was the ENO production starring Caroline O'Connor !
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Well Nosferatu, thank you for the hints you've provided so far!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow *****
TBFL
Featured Actor
The less said about their Kismet, the better...

Fingers crossed for something big and flashy like 42nd Street
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I think 42nd Street is unlikely much as I'd want to see it done, I imagine they'll go for the Rodgers and Hammerstein or Lerner and Loewe first, Brigadoon and Camelot haven't been revived in nearly 30 years so they'd be my choices.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
I'm guessing West Side Story, The King and I, Brigadoon, Camelot, Candide or Follies... Definitely something of the more 'classical' sphere
Whileshesleeps
Chorus Member
Kristina?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I have to say I'll be somewhat disappointed if all they come up with is a list of revivals. To me, that would make the whole thing a pointless exercise. Surely this is a chance to produce something new rather than churn out the kind of revivals that the West End stages anyway.

Much as I would enjoy lavish new productions of Camelot, etc - and much as I adored the fantastic production of A Little Night Music at the Chatelet - I would much prefer to see the ENO premiering something like The Light In The Piazza or The Bridges Of Madison County or, as Whileshesleeps suggested, Kristina.

Don't get me wrong - if they were to stage Follies or Showboat, I'd be booking my ticket for sure and would no doubt love the productions. But I think that would be such a wasted opportunity.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures *****
TBFL
Featured Actor
If the ENO are going to produce musicals because opera's dont create enough revenue, I doubt they'll go for a new, unknown piece. It will definitely be a revival.
FireFingers
Stand-by
It's not a case of operas not making money. They have always had gaps in their season, which have traditionally been hired out to other people. They are putting musicals in these gaps. The number of operas isn't going down. Or so they say.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Staging musicals and potentially transferring them will add money to the coffers, the fact they're teaming up with Michael Grade and Michael Linnit suggests this is the case.
mrkringas
Broadway Star
An ENO production of The Light in the Piazza would be glorious.

However it would not be a premiere. The Curve already had it!
Delightful performance from Caroline Sheen as Clara and I was fortunate enough to see Jasna Ivir play Margaret.

Its one of the best shows written this century and sad that it doesn't get more productions in the UK. Don't think I will ever forget Vicky Clark's performance on Broadway.

That said I would love to see more regular productions of the classic Broadway musicals that demand legit voices, large chorus and an actual orchestra.

Page:

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 116 Posts

BWW BLOGS