Equivalent of a Playbill

tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/17/14 at 10:23pm
I am coming to London for the first time from NYC and am seeing some shows. I was wondering what is the equivalent to the playbill here in the US in London? Can you show me a pic of the "playbill" of a London show?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 07:42am
We have programmes in London, they are usually 4.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
WickedGinger
Understudy
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 08:48am
I've never bought a programme for 4 in a large West End production. You can easily spend ten spends. Some shows will also do a standard programme and a sounvenir programme, which main consists of cast potographs. I collect programmes, therefore I would also buy both.
tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 09:11am
So when you walk in the usher doesn't hand you anything for free?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 09:43am
There is no free playbill/programme.

2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
FireFingers
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 10:14am
Nope, nothing free, but the show's website has all the information a playbill would have.
FireFingers
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 10:14am
Nope, nothing free, but the show's website has all the information a playbill would have.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 12:21pm
LOL I just love this continuous struggle and shock that hits Americans when they find out that programs are not free in the UK. When I went to see Les Miz in 2011, a father of a family insisted to his wife and kids that they were for free, and was arguing with the usher that it was free.

I would advise you to buy the souvenir brochure (souvenir program in American) instead of the program. In many shows the cast information is already embedded int he souvenir brochure, and in some cases that are "specials" where you can buy of them for a discounted rate (Bodyguard).

tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 06:37pm
So I don't think I am in shock per say that there is no playbill when you come in the door so that kind of sounds like an exaggeration of Americans.

As for programmes, that is not what I am looking for. We too here in America, land of shocked individuals when we don't get free stuff, have souvenir programs of the shows that cost money. I was only asking for clarity because on here people keep saying program and maybe are confusing what I am asking about. I am not asking for the big souvenir books that have all the pictures of the production. But thanks.

It is union law in the US to inform the audience of the cast and creatives. This is done through the Playbill. Was only wondering if there was a UK equivalent. Guess there is not.
hanschens
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 07:09pm
The 4 programmes are very similar to playbills; they have various articles and list the cast and creatives.
tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/18/14 at 07:24pm
what are the size of the programmes?
jaqs
Broadway Star
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 05:15am
Some shows have free cast lists, but generally fringe and the national not westend.
vassey
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 10:26am
Most West End theatres have that performance's cast and principal creatives listed on a board in the foyer, if that interested you.
tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:16pm
so do most Broadway shows... I'm looking more for something to take home and frame from the experience like I do my playbills.
hanschens
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:46pm
The programmes are about A5 size I think?? If not that then very close. I'm not sure how easy it would be to frame one though, they are quite a bit thicker than a playbill.
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 02:39pm
I just got back from a London trip and four out of the six programmes I got are 6 3/4" wide by 9 1/2" high. The other two programs are from the Donmar Warehouse and National Theatre and are taller and narrower with each having slightly different dimensions. I'm imagining the 6 3/4" x 9 1/2" is a somewhat standard dimension for programmes from commercial productions.
tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 02:57pm
thanks for both dimension responses... that is exactly what I was looking for. Yeah those are not easily framed.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/19/14 at 07:16pm
I don't begrudge paying 4 for a programme and always buy one, as they are an excellent point of reference. However I think 4 is as much as you can charge, you had The generally awful penny pinchers ATG , charge 5 a programme for the Pride, which is excessive.

However if you are asking 4 for a programme, they need to be of high quality and non generic, the theatre owner who has the most lavish theatres in the West End, (Cameron Mackintosh), has the most lousy programmes and they predominantly promote other shows in the Mackintosh portfolio with their articles, when I hand my money over I want to read articles about the show I am about to see, so if I am in seeing The Weir I want to read about that show and not about The Full Monty or Blithe Spirit etc and vice versa.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
wheety1621
Chorus Member
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/23/14 at 06:49am
I was at Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last week and had a group of American's behind me... one approaches the usher and comes back with a programme... he goes 'cost me 4' to which the reply was 'but we have already paid for our tickets?!?'

Bless they were so confused haha
tmbyru
Stand-by
Equivalent of a Playbill
Posted: 3/23/14 at 03:11pm
I think they were commenting on the fact that the cost of the ticket is already so high that a program couldn't be provided like in the US? Not sure there is confusion, just shock over greed.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS