Chichester Festival Theatre 2014

Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/6/14 at 07:03am
Musicals

Gypsy starring Imelda Staunton, Kevin Whatley and Lara Pulver
Guys and Dolls starring Jamie Parker, Clare Foster, Peter Polycarpou, Sophie Thompson

Plays
Stevie starring Zoe Wannamaker
Pressure starring David Haig
Miss Julie/Black Comedy starring Rosalie Craig
Amadeus starring Rupert Everett
Pitcairn
Taken At Midnight starring Penelope Wilton
Frankie and Johnny in the Clair De Lune starring Dervla Kirwan
An Ideal Husband starring Patricia Routledge

http://www.cft.org.uk/143/Tickets-and-Whats-On
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/6/14 at 10:20am
I've only ever been able to get to see one show at Chichester (Funny Girl some years ago). I always try every year to book tickets but always fail. They sell to subscribers first and by the time tickets go on sale to the public I can never find a seat suitable for my back problem so end up missing the show. Luckily quite a few shows I've wanted to see have transferred to the West End so I've caught them there (Love Story, Sweeney, Kiss Me Kate). Will try again this year but am not holding my breath lol - hopefully both Gypsy and G & D will transfer.

Would desperately love to see Sophie Thompson as Adelaide!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/6/14 at 10:39am
As always overwhelmed by the offering of musicals, which came as no surprise as these have been strongly rumoured for a while now, both musicals seem very late in the season, possible to allow the construction workers finish up building the Festival theatre.

However I am underwhelmed by what is on offer on the play side, so will not be making a trip downn to Chichester to see them, they probably will all transfer to the West End anyway with Chichester being the leading theatre production house in the country along with The Theatre Royal, Bath, which speaking of the later I will make every effort to get down to Bath to see 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woofe' instead.

I will get down to Chichester to see both musicals, then hotfoot it back on the train to Victoria to see Billy Elliot, Wicked or whatever is on at the St James, great oppurtunity to see 2 shows.

Incidentally Good People opened last night to positive reviews with Imedia Staunton, who is going to star in Gypsy at Chichester, I wonder if this will now get a run in the West End during the summer before Gypsy opens? I have seen Good People and I disagree with the critics, I think it is excellent!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Posted: 3/6/14 at 10:42am
Mark Shenton, of The Stage, thought Good People was great.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/6/14 at 10:54am
Wow if Guys & Dolls and Gypsy both transfer, next season will be a phenomenal year for musicals in London. Two of the greatest book musicals ever written. Imelda is already a lock for the Olivier for 2015 for best actress if it transfers and without having seen it.
NeverSoShy
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/8/14 at 10:46am
Is there a history of things transferring from Chichester to London? I'd absolutely love to see Gypsy (I have a massive amount of affection for Lara Pulver, Imelda Staunton and the show itself), but nearly 10 hours on a train each way makes it incredibly unlikely that I'll get to see it here.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/8/14 at 11:37am
Lol Bob you must be very choosy on seats as ive never had a problem getting seats on days of general sale. Ive sat front block centre, aisles and various locations.

Surely they cant be more uncomfortable than the fringe venues you visit a lot?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/8/14 at 11:54am
Princeton - the problem for me is leg room. I have arthritis in my spine and my knees and it is literally impossible for me to sit anywhere without being in severe pain if I cannot stretch my legs (can't sit with my knees bent for more than a few minutes at a time). Most fringe venues are no problem as I can usually get a front row seat.

I have problems in many West End theatres - always have to pay top price for aisle seats in the stalls as anywhere other than an aisle seat is a no-go for me these days. Whenever I've tried to book in Chichester all stalls aisle seats have already gone for the dates I've been free to go (also a bit limited with dates as I have to travel from south Wales and have to combine a visit to Chichester with a stay in London as it's too far for me to do there and back in a day).

I even wrote to the theatre in Chichester a few years ago explaining the problem and the answer I got was basically "tough luck, screw you" lol. In general theatres in the UK are about a century behind the USA in providing help for customers with physical difficulties.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Book of Mormon Run 9 Posts

BWW BLOGS