Stephen Ward Closing

Blethering Scot
Understudy
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 05:42pm
Stephen Ward has announced closure for 29 March. Feel its a shame as had a lot of potential not quite realised. Seems to be a series of closures at the moment.

Updated On: 2/24/14 at 05:42 PM
RW3
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 05:50pm
Could The Bodyguard go in there?
TBFL
Featured Actor
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 07:25pm
It no surprise its closing. I enjoyed the show but the title was wrong and whoever decided on a december opening should be fired!
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 08:04pm
Is this a shorter run than Beautiful Game when it comes to ALW shows?

Actually, since there's no west end equivalent to ibdb, I'm curious if someone has the numbers for ALW's west end shows (ie how many performances they ran) especially the last few.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 08:12pm
Jeeves only ran for 38 performances but Stephen Ward is ALW's shortest running show since The Beautiful Game and that ran a year.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 10:02pm
Right, I think I meant more recently. I know about the original Jeeves. But not about the London runs from Sunset on.
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 10:09pm
Would really have liked to see this, sadly not back in London till June. Wished it opened later, I agree who thought that December would be a good time to open this?

Plus I think its time Webber and Cam Mac joined forces again.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
mjohnson2
Stand-by
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 12:08am
Could American Psycho go there? Seems like the right size venue for it.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 06:03am
Such a shame that it's closing so soon.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I agree with most of you, bad timing. Perhaps it has a future on the road? It would be easy enough to tour.
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity ***; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading); *** Blithe Spirit **** UPCOMING: Stephen Ward, Fiddler on the Roof UK Tour, Arcadia (Tobacco Factory, Bristol) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Urinetown, The Testament of Mary, Miss Saigon, King Charles III, Mr. Burns NEW YORK, JULY 2014: Pippin, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Cabaret
dgjbear
Featured Actor
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 07:14am
Such a shame as I grew to like it after seeing a preview and really like most of the score
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 07:45am
I wonder if the vile parasite that is Baz actually waited for the cast to be told this time before he tweeted.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 08:19am
The fault doesnt lie with Baz though, he gets his information from somewhere.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 08:34am
Of course it lies with him. It's not about where he gets his info from its about having the respect of letting the cast and crew find out that they are losing their jobs before they read it on his twitter feed (as he has done many times).
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 08:55am
We know how close Andrew Lloyd Webber is to Baz from historic communications, but did Andrew have the decency to tell the cast before leaking this story to Baz?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 09:53am
He is a 'journalist', its his job. He is a gossip columnist, if he waits for official announcement its no longer gossip and therefore is failing in his job

Its no different to many other high profile companies who have closed offices/gone bust etc and the press have been the first to report it and they only find out when they turn up for work

The information is out there, and everyone in the industry knows who he is and what he does. If sources with the show are telling him things, they know full damn well that he will report it.

I am not saying its right or nice in anyway, but its a fact of life
Stewart A
Understudy
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 10:16am
I thought ALW might plough money into this to keep it going until the summer to save face.

I wasn't crazy about the show when I saw it in December but thought it had potential and the score has grown on me since buying the CD.

A December opening was a bad move because it wasn't the kind of show to attract people in over the festive season and then January and February must be hard months anyway due to the lack of tourism, the cold dark nights and people not having the money to spend after Christmas.

Will ALW ever risk another new show after this flop or will he stick to revivals form now on? He's been massively successful all over the world but maybe he needs to learn when to quit.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 10:36am
I agree, it was a crazy time to open a show like that. Plus it was rushed through into production, it needed more work shopping and development.

ALW needs to have less 'yes men' around him, i cant help but think if this had started somewhere small such as the Menier, it could have developed. He also needs to not control everything, LND showed that when he wasnt involved in Australia and creatives had more of a free reign, things worked out better
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 11:41am
There are personal reasons why ALW rushed this show through.

Given the material, I don't think there was a good time to open this show... except maybe 1st April.
rockyhorrorfan
Stand-by
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 12:04pm
I always had doubts about the show when they announced the title. How many people will have heard of Stephen Ward (even more so outside the UK)? He was never the most infamous person involved in the scandal. I presume ALW thinks his name is enough to attract tourists to his shows.

I also think it was a bad sign when Joanna Riding was announced as starring in The Pajama Game while appearing in Stephen Ward.
Stewart A
Understudy
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 12:37pm
The show only recently extended to May (although obviously that's not happening now) and I think Joanna Riding was always committed to doing the Pyjama Game. Ms Riding seems to have had her share of flops recently what with The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg, Lend Me A Tenor and now Stephen Ward. I know that the PG is only a limited run but I hope it's a success. Ms Riding is seriously under rated and I think she's a great actress and singer and she has enjoyed success in the past and hope she enjoys more in the future.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 03:14pm
Oh that is a real shame. I was hoping to dayseat for this on my April trip to London. Looks like that isn't happening now!

If I was to come to London on the train one Saturday before it closed, and get to the Aldwych for late morning/early afternoon, what would be my chances of picking up a dayseat for STEPHEN WARD? Does anyone know what the dayseat queues have been like? Would they be harder to get for the last day of shows? Are there any other cheap alternatives to dayseats that I could look into?
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 04:53pm
Very easy, even ask for a ticket in the balcony, you will be upgraded.

Do you have far to come?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
chrisv2
Swing
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/25/14 at 06:48pm
The trouble with STEPHEN WARD is that it didn't know what it wanted to say and didn't know how to say it.

I feel sorry for the actors who gave the show their all who are going to be out of work but the night I saw it they seemed almost embarrassed to be taking the bows.

I also found it a bit ridiculous for ALW in the pre-opening interviews to trumpet away about how poor Stephen Ward was hung out to dry by his friends in the Tory party when this is the same party that Lloyd Webber were urging people to vote for at the last election.

All in all, not one song in the score was as haunting or potent as the Pet Shop Boy's take on the Profumo case NOTHING HAS BEEN PROVED for the film SCANDAL
dgjbear
Featured Actor
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/26/14 at 06:16am
I think I enjoyed it more on reflection than the actual night in December when I saw it. The score has grown on me and I think it's a shame that it never found an audience. I suppose it is such a risk these days and his just encourages more juke-box shows and revivals rather than promoting new work.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 2/26/14 at 01:01pm
POL - I'd be coming from Nottingham.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Stephen Ward Closing
Posted: 3/9/14 at 04:50pm
I saw this earlier in the week and thought it was truly awful. It's really no surprise that it is closing. I expect a lot better from Lloyd Webber to be honest, this was just extremely dull.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.

Page:

Message Board

Water Babies 12 Posts
Heathers the Musical 6 Posts

BWW BLOGS