New Yorker visiting the West End

lauren9739
Swing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 11:16am
Hi everyone! I'm from New York and am going to London on a business trip and would love to catch a West End show while I'm there. I don't know much about what is playing right now other than the long running shows and thought you might help me picking a "must see" show that I can't see in New York. Any suggestions? Thank you!
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 12:40pm
You need to supply your dates of travel.
lauren9739
Swing
Posted: 2/24/14 at 12:48pm
March 17th-28.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/27/14 at 09:11am
Suggestions:
Ghosts at Trafalgar Studios which ends March 22.
King Lear at The National Theatre on March 23 and 25.
Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit
1984 at the Almeida got some good reviews - till March 29.
The Weir is supposed to be good (thru April 19)
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/27/14 at 09:54am
Would you rather see a play or a musical?
lauren9739
Swing
Posted: 2/27/14 at 11:29am
I like both plays and musicals. I think I'm going to see 2 shows while there so I might see one of each. I'm pretty broad in my tastes. I like a little of everything.

I appreciate the responses very much.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/27/14 at 12:20pm
I'd personally recommend The Commitments (if that's your taste), but I also hear that From Here To Eternity is a pretty good show?
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/27/14 at 01:41pm
I thought you were asking for plays:
For West End musicals:
Stephen Ward is closing March 29 - and so, sounds like it won't ever play New York City. If Andrew Lloyd Webber is your cup of tea.
From Here to Eternity is closing April 29 and that may be it for that show.If Tim Rice is your cup of tea.
The Bodyguard has lots of fans - but will at some point make its way to New York City.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has amazing sets - some fun, if not memorable, numbers. It's Broadway future is up in the air - it seems more like the failed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang transfer.

Use this site: http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/ as it lists west end and fringe.
And use theatremonkey.com for seat selection advice.

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/27/14 at 02:26pm
The Commitments is a "must see" IMO for Killian Donnelly's sensational performance alone.

From Here To Eternity - though not perfect by any means - is certainly worth seeing. I enjoyed it more than a great many shows that have enjoyed lengthy runs in the West End.

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn***
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/27/14 at 03:25pm
I personally would seriously recommend you go and see From Here to Eternity. Certainly has some great music and a story that would probably have taken off far more in America than it has here. The Commitments is also good, bit heavy at the start but turns into a fun soleful evening in the end.

The Bodyguard is good and Beverley Knight has some voice but highly likely to transfer to Broadway most likely with Heather Headley (not the best given lack of appearances here). Despite rumours to the contrary would be very surprised if Charlie doesn't transfer.
lauren9739
Swing
Posted: 2/28/14 at 12:33pm
Thank you all very much. I think you have all convinced me that The Commitments and From Here to Eternity. I might take in a 1984 or Ghosts if I can swing 3 shows. Thank you!

Anymore suggestions from anyone else would still be appreciated.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/28/14 at 04:37pm
There was an earlier thread about March shows you can peruse and use.

March Theatre in London
lauren9739
Swing
Posted: 3/2/14 at 08:54am
Thank you, ggersten!
VernonGersch
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/12/14 at 02:37pm
This thread has been most helpful. Heading to London next week and going to see GHOSTS and THE BODYGUARD - and perhaps a Wednesday Matinee of something
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/25/14 at 06:36pm
So, how were the shows?
Taboolie2
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/25/14 at 06:53pm
Musical - From Here To Eternity (cannot recommend this highly enough),
Play - Full Monty (very funny, better than the musical version).
Both close early on 29th March (can't understand why when there is such a lot of dross out there) so bargains still to be had. Enjoy your trip.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 3/25/14 at 07:17pm
Just posted on Broadway page From Here to Eternity has been being filmed last few nights for a Uk and American cinema release ahead of a planned 2015 Broadway production.

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 116 Posts
Cheap day tickets 2 Posts

BWW BLOGS