Stand-by
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 02:55am
Was LOTR a goof or bad musical??? in regards to book
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 04:18am
I thought it was an incredible piece of theatre and its not as simple as 'good' or 'bad' as so many aspects go into making a musical.

The book was the weakest aspect, and ultimately was too ambitious to fit everything in. What it did do was capture the spirit and essence of the story in an amazing mix of theatrical storytelling and beautiful music with a ridiculously talented cast. Id see it again in a heartbeat
Stevie72
Stand-by
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 04:40am
Would the Hobbit would have worked better
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 06:45am
I dont think so. The hobbit doesnt have the same epicness and mythical feel that lotr doesl.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 07:47am
I was bored witless for three and a half hours lol - despite the amazing cast and the stunning "look" of the show. But that does not mean it was bad, just not in any way my kind of thing. I was also bored witless by the first movie (gave up in despair after suffering through one whole hour!). And have never been even tempted to read the books. So, as with all shows, there's no definitive answer about whether it was good or bad, as there will be many people who will have loved it as well as many people who hated it.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
TBFL
Featured Actor
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 04:24pm
The book of the LOTR musical, was a disaster. There was no way to cram all of that story into 1 production. What they did made no sensed at all, it jumped all over the place and cut huge chunks from the original story. Yes some of it looked good, but without a decent story, a musical has no chance. There have been some amazing scores that have never really worked because no one can get the book right. IMO, LOTR didnt even have the score to back it up.
Stevie72
Stand-by
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/25/14 at 04:40pm
"The book of the LOTR musical, was a disaster. There was no way to cram all of that story into 1 production. What they did made no sensed at all, it jumped all over the place and cut huge chunks from the original story. Yes some of it looked good, but without a decent story, a musical has no chance. There have been some amazing scores that have never really worked because no one can get the book right. IMO, LOTR didnt even have the score to back it up." I quite liked the score I am wondering about the Hobbit because it would be shorter and easier to do.
Parsley
Featured Actor
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/26/14 at 12:45pm
There was some glorious music (Lothlorien is sublime) and it all looked good. Well acted ( although Gandalf was terrible - hammy,) but it was such a mish-mash of a production that it was impossible to care about any of the characters.

I did enjoy it though but yearned to feel more engaged.
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
LOTR Musical
Posted: 1/28/14 at 10:48pm
It was Cirque Du Soleil with lots of smoke. We got more entertainment from the "pre-show" antics of the Hobbits around the theatre.
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

Message Board

Water Babies 19 Posts
Musical suggestions 14 Posts

BWW BLOGS