Once Olivier Award

Musicalboy2
Swing
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/9/13 at 11:21pm
It looks like Once will win the Olivier Award. Book of Mormon with its over vulgar and mixed reviews and Charlie with its bad book will not win against a simple well told musical. Which I think shows that a good story and good music you can win awards. It got better reviews than both and personally for my money is a much better concept.
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/10/13 at 03:44am
Bit early to predict this?

I'm a big fan of Once but we still have several shows to open before the deadline (25 Feb) although Urinetown will miss that cut off as they only begin previews by then.

We may all be surprised and find Stephen Ward is great.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/10/13 at 04:24am
I agree it's hard to predict - there are still shows to open and my crystal ball cannot fathom the minds and personal tastes of the Olivier voters. But if the decision were mine alone ONCE would win the Olivier for Best Musical by a mile. It ticks all the boxes for me - a truly beautiful, moving and visually stunning piece of theatre with songs to die for.

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Updated On: 10/10/13 at 04:24 AM
jman16
Swing
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/10/13 at 04:39am
It will be a really interesting year for Best New Musical. Both Once and Mormon are Tony Winners. Over here, one of them is selling out, the other is struggling. I can't wait to see how they both do!
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/10/13 at 09:44am
Do you think The Commitments will be considered a musical or a play? Because I've seen it referred to as a "play with music" many, many times.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/12/13 at 09:29am
I'm assuming Jenna Russell is a lock for best actress in a musical for Merrily. I don't know of anyone who comes close to the performance she gave 8 times a week in that show.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/12/13 at 09:50am
It'll probably be Jenna Russell or Rosalie Craig for Best Actress based on the Light Princess reviews; even if the show doesn't win anything, Ms Craig will undoubtedly be nominated for her performance and has to be great while "floating" for most of the show.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/12/13 at 09:46pm
I thought Charlotte Wakefield was excellent as Maria in the Sound of Music, she oozed the vulnerability the role commands. so no not a lock.

I could see Book o Mormon winning, but also losing if the judging panel is prudich, there might be a anti American backlash after the farcical Tony awards were turned into a xenophobic anti Britih.

I wouldn't be surprised if best musical was won by the Scottsboro Boys even.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/13/13 at 03:43pm
You don't win awards for playing Maria these days, I'm afraid, no matter what you do with that role. Russell was perfection in Merrily, and deserves another gong in 2014.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/13/13 at 05:57pm
Depends on how well you play the role Maria, she was a revelation in this role, then again I wouldn't be surprised if Jenna Russell did go on and win, how ever she wasn't as good as her co stars.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/13/13 at 08:44pm
I didn't see The Sound Of Music in the Park so cannot comment on Charlotte's performance, though I'm sure she was wonderful. For my money, the Olivier for Best Actress in a Musical is a two horse race:

Zrinka Cviteši, who is so fabulous in Once - her performance is just so full of truth;
Jenna Russell, who - despite Damian & Mark's superb performances - totally stole the show both times I saw Merrily at the Pinter.

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Updated On: 10/13/13 at 08:44 PM
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/13/13 at 08:56pm
Phantom, I don't know how you could say that she wasn't as good as her costars, she was electric on that stage. Heartbreaking performance.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/14/13 at 04:09pm
Definitely too early to predict.

There's a lot to consider this year aside from Once. As far as new musicals go, I personally think I'm yet to see a strong contender this year. With Stephen Ward, From Here to Eternity and The Scottsboro Boys still to come, I'm pretty sure it won't be as simple as Once or Book Of Mormon. And despite the mixed reviews The Light Princess is still a contender; after all, the Olivier panel often has a soft spot for NT.

As for Best Actress in a Musical, if Jenna Russell's name is not written all over it I'd be seriously stunned.
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity ***; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading); *** Blithe Spirit **** UPCOMING: Stephen Ward, Fiddler on the Roof UK Tour, Arcadia (Tobacco Factory, Bristol) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Urinetown, The Testament of Mary, Miss Saigon, King Charles III, Mr. Burns NEW YORK, JULY 2014: Pippin, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Cabaret
blbroadway2
Swing
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/17/13 at 04:17am
I do believe that it is too early to tell. I also think the best play large . I wonder though because it will be big who will the awards??? will be a difficult decision
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Once Olivier Award
Posted: 10/17/13 at 02:12pm
Much as I love Jenna Russell, Zrinka's performance in Once is head and shoulders above any other actress in a musical thus far.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 40 Posts

BWW BLOGS