Torch song trilogy

Childcatcher
Understudy
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 03:41am
WOW! Totally fantastic! Take hankies guaranteed you will be a blubbering wreck at the end! Congratulations for getting the piece spot on...... When did Joe McFadden become so buff ? oooft!
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 03:58am
Going on Friday, but seomone tweeted that it was an "experimental" version which got me worried. It's obviously much shorter than the original, but could you expand on the experimental angle? Thanks.
Childcatcher
Understudy
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 04:41am
Don't worry, in my opinion it's certainly not experimental. The play is of course written as 3 plays, so there are a few cuts or you would be trying to get a tube home at midnight.
The way its written is there is a Torch singer that kinda fills some gaps, scene changes, but in this production it is the cast of 6 that all come on and sing at different times and at the end. Its beautiful, and works very well, thats possibly what whoever meant as experimental. You will enjoy very much. Powerful stuff.
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 05:01am
Thanks for that childcatcher, you've allayed my fears. I'm old enough to have seen Harvery Fierstein towards the end of the original London run and I love the movie, but having the cast sing the torch songs sounds great.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 05:46am
How long is it now, it was nearly 4 hours originally.
Childcatcher
Understudy
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 06:06am
It was quite long, maybe 3 hours, though it didn't feel it as the choc factory seats are unusually comfortable. Can't believe you saw Harvey in it, he would of been a dream.... Wonder if he will pop over to see it ?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 06:10am
Anthony Sher was a bit of a let down after seeing Harvey twice but the incredible Miriam Karlin was simply amazing.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 07:57am
Did you see Douglas Hodge, might make a trip down next weekend.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:28am
Saw the original on Broadway with Harvey Fierstein and it was incredible. I hope this version is equally as good.
Childcatcher
Understudy
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:27pm
Yes ! Douglas was jumping about witha note book x
alterego
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:57pm
I saw Tony Sheldon play it in Melbourne.
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/6/12 at 09:37am
Now that's someone I'd have liked to have seen in it.

Interesting comments on this thread about this new production - am very much looking forward to seeing it.
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/6/12 at 08:54pm
Saw the show last night and its incredibly moving, I had no prior knowledge of the show so cant judge on how 'different' it was...
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/9/12 at 05:36am
This really is a beautifully realised production, it has been heavily edited but that doesn't detract. I absolutely loved it and cleverly it's not done as a period piece. I'm sure Mr Fierstein will be delighted. It looks like the Chocolate Factory are back on track and I can't wait for Merrily We Roll Along. I've rambled more on my blog if you're interested.
Torch Song Trilogy
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/9/12 at 07:21am
Seeing this tonight.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/13/12 at 01:54am
Saw it with Tony in Melbourne as well.. That was a lifetime ago. Alter did you see it at Her Maj or the Vic ( was it called that? )
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/13/12 at 07:38pm
What's on Stage - 3 stars
http://www.whatsonstage.com/reviews/theatre/london/E8831339578910/Torch+Song+Trilogy.html

I would not call them 'solid' reviews, i would say mixed leaning to positive
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/13/12 at 11:44pm
Rosscoe, didn't it go to the National in St Kilda after the Universal?
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/22/12 at 06:15am
Thats what it was called the Universal... So long ago, was it the Maj than the Universal and the National to follow?
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
alterego
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 6/22/12 at 09:39am
The first incarnation played at the Universal (after the Sydney run - Her Majesty's or Seymour Centre?) then moved to the National Theatre in St Kilda. I don't think that production ever played the Maj in Melbourne. There was revival some years later with Daniel Abineri. That may have played the Maj ?
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Torch song trilogy
Posted: 8/14/12 at 03:45am
Saw the penultimate performance on Saturday night and have to say I was dissapointed.

The play seemed very dated and something which has not worn well with age. I felt the performances were rather lacklustre and it just failed to move or engage me.

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...

Message Board

Water Babies 25 Posts

BWW BLOGS