Chichester 'Sweeney' Cast Recording Is In The Bag

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
The cast recoding of the Chichester Festival Theatre production of 'Sweeney Todd' has been completed and a release dat will be announced soon.
06s091
Stand-by
Two tweets from record producer Nigel Wright:

"Sweeney Todd is winging its way to London to be mastered. Cd available on press night."

"Cd available at the theatre on press night. On line and in shops in early april!"
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
The 'press night' (opening?) date is March 20, is that correct?

This is a very very quick turn around for a cast recording.
choitoy
Broadway Star
If only all cast albums had such a quick turnaround... Why wait months after a show is opened to have a CD? CDs should be there within days-weeks of opening night. (and ideally on opening night, assuming that the changes are all set).
Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
'Sondheim was hugely impressed with Ball and Staunton at a cast recording of
the production last week'.
06s091
Stand-by
According to tweets from the cast members they recorded everything on February 25th. Michael Ball tweeted about a 14 hour recording day. (and yes, Sondheim was in the studio with them - there are pictures on the Sweeney Todd UK facebook page)
The mixing was done over the week and Michael was in the studio March 3rd to listen to the result. A few changes might have been made and Nigel Wright then tweeted on Sunday that it was of to be mastered.
Michael Ball also tweeted that the plan is to have it ready on Press Night(March 20), but he couldn't guarantee it yet.

It's only a highlights recording - a full recording would obviosly have taken longer time.

Updated On: 3/6/12 at 07:13 AM
michael2
Understudy
Anyone know which label is releasing the cast recording? thanks in advance
06s091
Stand-by
I only know that Nigel Wright is the record producer.
But aren't most London cast recordings released by either First Night Records or The Really Useful Group?
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Possibly Really Useful since Nigel is Andrew's producer?
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole ****
06s091
Stand-by
A little more information courtesy of the official Sweeney Todd website:

Michael Ball is co-producer on the record

It will be available at The Adelphi and online at www.sweeneytoddshop.myshopify.com from the end of March.

EDIT: Nigel Wright is also Michael Ball's record producer and since Michael is also co-producing - maybe it will be released by the record company that Michael is signed with: Universal?

http://sweeneytoddwestend.com/news/london-cast-album-is-in-the-can/
Updated On: 3/9/12 at 06:32 AM
michael2
Understudy
Thank you I wondered if it might be released on universal, hopefully a tracklisting will appear very soon.
06s091
Stand-by

Tracklisting: (from play.com)

Prelude / The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd
No Place Like London
Worst Pies In London
My Friends / The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd
Johanna
The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd
Wait
Kiss Me
Ladies In Their Sensitivities
Pretty Women
Epiphany
A Little Priest
God, That's Good!
Johanna (Reprise)
By The Sea
Not While I'm Around
Searching
The Judge's Return
Final Scene
The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/30192697/Sweeney-Todd-The-2012-London-Cast-Album/Product.html?searchstring=michael+ball&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
What is the best cast recording of Sweeney Todd:

The Motion Picture Soundtrack (Highlights)

The Motion Picture Soundtrack (Full)

Original Cast Recording (Remastered)

Broadway Revival Recording

I am surprised, looking for this recording on Amazon and there is only 4, O thought there would be a lot more.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Play Esq.
Broadway Star
Without question: the OBCR.

Cariou is devastatingly creep on the recording and...because of this recording alone... this role will always belong to Lansbury: funny and moving at the same time.
06s091
Stand-by
There's also the concert recording with George Hearn, Patti LuPone and Neil Patrick Harris - but my favourite is the OBC recording (so far).
That might change when I get the new recording. :)
(Finally a London cast recording of this show!)
06s091
Stand-by
Mystery solved: First Night Records is the record label behind the new recording.

It's available for pre-order on their website
http://first-night-records.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=232
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Ouch this really is a very sparse recording. They have cut Poor Thing (really?), [probably "The Barber and his Wife" unless it's attached to No Place Like London; it wasn't in the recent revival 'highlights'], Green Finch and Linnet Bird, Ah Miss, Pirelli's Miracle Elixir, The Contest, The Judge's Johanna (if this is performed in the show that is, I'm not sure) among other things like reprises of the Ballads and the wigmaker sequence, the letter etc..

They shouldn't have cut Poor Thing I don't think.

Updated On: 3/10/12 at 05:11 PM
06s091
Stand-by
The Judge's Johanna is indeed performed in the show, as are the Beadle's Parlor Songs.

I know I'm being naive, but I hope they did this "Highlights" recording because they are doing the DVD recording later that Michael Ball said he hoped they would be.

Updated On: 3/10/12 at 06:36 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I thought I ask what is the best version, as I do not own any 'Sweeney Todd' cast recording, I don't normally buy the CD until I have seen the show, which I will on Monday, so mindful now to buy the OBR as it is the entire score and will buy the new recording when it comes out, but disappointed it is not in it's entirety.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
The OBC is the best so far.

If you can get hold of the soundboard of the OLC that is a very close second.

I rarely play the concert recording or the recent OBC of the John Doyle production. Neither of them do the score justice and both are uninspiring.

The BBC radio broadcast of the NT production has some great performances but the small orchestra can't do the score justice either.

Updated On: 3/12/12 at 04:25 PM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
The OBC is definitely my favourite so far. I can't imagine anyone ever being better than Angela Lansbury (though Len Cariou is not my favourite Todd - if George Hearn played Todd on that recording, it would be perfect!) The score sounds amazing on that recording, and the performances are wonderful - plus, I just love the Sondheim OBCRs...Parts of the movie soundtrack I actually enjoy - the orchestra in By The Sea, for example, sound wonderful. I also love the Theatre Du Chatelet radio recording with Caroline O'Connor who is an exceptional Lovett. It's a bit lifeless in places though. I too love the Original London soundboard and the National recording and can't wait for the new recording, to see if it sits anywhere near the OBC for me :)
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole ****
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Who is on the original London soundboard?

Is the NT one the 1993 radio broadcast with Julia Mckenzie and Denis Quilley?
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Yes (to your last question).
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
And to your first question: Denis Quilley and the (amazing) Sheila Hancock.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Sheila Hancock was far superior to Ms Lansbury in the originals.
06s091
Stand-by
Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton were guests on the Graham Norton show today.
They played "A Little Priest" from the new recording - or at least some of it. It stopped after "with or without his privates - with is extra" but Michael made a comment about "Beautiful editing there" to Graham so I'm sure the rest of the song is on the album.

It sounds great IMO :)

The interview starts at 1hour 31minutes into the show and "A Little Priest" just after 1hour 38minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dd1kp
Updated On: 3/17/12 at 06:27 PM

Page:

Message Board

Assassins cast 28 Posts

BWW BLOGS