THE LION KING Celebrates Eleven Years In The West End
Disney's award-winning musical 'The Lion King' continues to reign as one of the most popular shows in West End history as it celebrates its eleventh anniversary at the Lyceum Theatre this month.
· 8.5 million theatre-goers have seen this acclaimed production since it opened in the West End in 1999
· Worldwide, more than 52 million people have seen 'The Lion King' in 13 different countries and in six different languages
· The production has now played over 4,600 performances in London and 30,000 around the world
· The show now stands as the ninth longest-running musical in West End history
· 'The Lion King' can currently be seen in New York, Tokyo, Hamburg, Las Vegas, and on tour in the US. A new production opens in Singapore in 2011
Director and Co-Designer Julie Taymor was entrusted by Disney Theatrical Productions to transform the beloved animated feature film into a stage musical. Her innovative production draws upon her vast and varied experience of myriad theatrical styles and cultures, most prominently African tribal design and masks and Balinese puppetry and movement.
THE LION KING follows the adventures of the lion cub Simba, as he struggles to accept the responsibilities of adulthood and his destined role of King.
The current London company of 46 performers is led by 11 principals: George Asprey as Scar, Shaun Escoffery as Mufasa, Stephen Matthews as Zazu, Brown Lindiwe Mkhize as Rafiki, Nick Mercer as Timon, Keith Bookman as Pumbaa, Andile Gumbi as Simba, Narran McLean as Nala, Gary Forbes as Banzai, Allyson Addo as Shenzi and Mark Sangster as Ed.
'The Lion King' is produced by Disney Theatrical Productions.
'The Lion King' is booking for all performances until Sunday 24th July 2011
Box Office number: 0844 844 0005