Comscore

John Lithgow at The Magistrate - National Theatre
no-mans-land
Swing
Swing
No thread for this as far as I can see, and there should be. Still in previews, few reviews out.

http://theotherbridgeproject.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/review-arthur-wing-pineros-the-magistrate-at-the-national-theatre/
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looking forward to seeing this later in the week. To be honest, anything with Nancy Carroll in it would have me queuing for tickets. Ever since I saw her performnce in After the Dance I have been totally captivated.

Updated On: 11/20/12 at 06:10 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this Friday night and I didn't think it was all that, it didn't really engage me. had a bit too much farce for my liking.

Mu biggest annoyance was working out who was who in the star studded cast, this was more prevalent with the more mature gents, as the cast don't look like anything in the programme.

ajh Profile Photoajh Profile Photo
ajh
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I saw this last night and I didn't think that much of it either. Nancy Carroll is, as usual, terrific, lifts the show whenever she's onstage and finds laughs where Pinero hadn't even put any. I was really disappointed with Lithgow; he is not a natural fit for this sort of old-fashioned clowning, as putting him onstage alongside the great Jonathan Coy demonstrates all too clearly. The production looks beautiful but the addition of endless G&S-type numbers fills out an overlong evening to the point of being unbearable. I find Timothy Sheader a gimmicky director who seems to get one good idea per show and then builds a whole production around it. The fact that this play is irrelevant and dated does him no favours. All in all, a very pretty yawn.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a fabulously jolly romp. The staging is stunning using every part of the Olivier stage to its fullest. I enjoyed the musical inserts which framed the scene changes really well. There are some excellent performances too, notably Joshua McGuire as Cis, reminding me a little of Tom Hollander, nancy Carroll's devine Agatha and a splendid Posket played by John Lithgow. Recommended.
Sean2 Profile PhotoSean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Just thought I'd throw my thoughts into the ring. I can't say I was bored, but overall I thought that Timothy Sheader was the wrong director for it, so I would agree with you, ajh. I actually like Pinero if he's in the right hands, but I think Sheader was way too heavy-handed. Joshua McGuire got on my wick, but I thought Lithgow was quite charming. I miss their Christmas shows of old which had a little more spectacle, but then I'm old and like shiny things.

Save $$$ on Tickets to: