Dallas Theatre League Announces Rabin Award Nominations
The Dallas Area is one of the largest theatre centers in the country. The region boats more emerging theatre companies than almost any other metropolitan area in the U.S. and is home to the country's second oldest summer Shakespeare Festival. Two hundred new plays are premiered here each year—and some achieve broader success. The Dallas Theatre League (DTL) was founded in 1994 to serve and celebrate this vital artistic community.
The mission of the DTL is to unite, strengthen, and promote the theatre community in the Greater Dallas Area, working on behalf of the conviction that the performing arts are an essential public good, critical to a healthy and truly democratic society, and invaluable as a source of personal enrichment and growth.
The DTL is also the primary sponsor the annual Leon Rabin Awards, an event celebrating the diversity and excellence of live theatre in Dallas. The Awards were named after Leon Rabin, an avid and influential arts enthusiast who was at the center of every Dallas-based arts organization. The Awards serve as a means to recognize the outstanding achievements of Dallas area theatres and the artists who support them. They also give support to the next generation of Dallas artists, with a portion of event proceeds supporting the Dallas Theatre League Scholarship programs.
On September 25, 2006, the DTL announced the 2006 Rabin Award Nominations at the ArtCentre of Plano at a party hosted by the Classical Arts Company. The awards covered the Dallas area Theatre Season from September 1, 2005 to August 31, 2006.
And the nominees are…
OUTSTANDING SOUND DESIGN
- Curtis Craig - TAKE ME OUT - WaterTower Theatre
- Emily Young - RAW VISION - Kitchen Dog Theater
- John Flores - CLOUD TECTONICS - Kitchen Dog Theater
- Lowell Sargeant - SHAKESPEARE'S KEEPER - Classical Acting Company
- Marco Salinas - THE NORMAL HEART - Uptown Players
- Matthew Gray - MARK TWAIN'S HUCK FINN - Classical Acting Company
OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN - PLAY
- Jason Driggers - THIS IS HOW IT GOES - WaterTower Theatre
- Jason S. Foster - THE CRUCIBLE - WaterTower Theatre
- Jennifer Owen - NO EXIT - Classical Acting Company
- Laura McMeley - RAW VISION - Kitchen Dog Theater
- Linda Blase - CLOUD TECTONICS - Kitchen Dog Theater
- Russell K. Dyer - VISITING MR. GREEN - Contemporary Theatre of Dallas
OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN - MUSICAL