NBC's SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Tops Fall Primetime Season
For the fourth consecutive fall TV season, NBC's Sunday Night Football is the No. 1 show in Primetime (persons 2+ and all key adult and male demos based on Nielsen live plus same day data). This also marks the sixth consecutive fall TV season that SNF ranks No. 1 among Adults 18-49.
For the past two years, Sunday Night Football ranked as the No. 1 show for the entire Primetime television season (September-May, based on Nielsen live plus same day data), and it is on pace to achieve that milestone for a third year in a row.
SNF ranked No. 1 among Women 18-49 -- the first time ever that the NFL Primetime package won the fall TV season in the demo. In addition, SNF topped Women 18-34 for the third year in row.
Highlights from the 2013 Sunday Night Football season:
- NBC averaged 21.7 million viewers for its 19 NFL telecasts, marking the fourth consecutive season with an average of 21+ million viewers - the first such four-year stretch for the NFL Primetime package since 1993-96 (ABC's Monday Night Football).
- This season's average is also the second-best in NBC's eight years televising the NFL's broadcast Primetime package (21.8 million in 2010) and is up from 21.4 million last season.
- This year's second-best Primetime viewership average comes in a season in which eight NBC games were decided by 15-or-more points - up from five such contests last year and tied for the most (2006) in eight years of SNF on NBC.
- Football Night in America (7:30-8:22 p.m. ET) continues to rank as the most-watched NFL pregame show with an average of 8.0 million viewers - up 3% from last season.
WEEK 17 "WIN-AND-IN" DRAWS SEASON'S TOP Primetime VIEWERSHIP: Last week's "win-and-in" NBC Sunday Night Football game for the NFC East title, featuring the Philadelphia Eagles' down-to-the-wire 24-22 victory over the Dallas Cowboys (8:31-11:24 p.m. ET) was the most-watched Primetime game in 2013 averaging 27.4 million viewers and also posted the week's highest Primetime rating (15.5/25) and Adult 18-49 rating (9.3).
SNF: NO. 1 Primetime PROGRAM FOR SEASON: For the Primetime television season (9/23/13-12/29/13), Sunday Night Football ranks as the most-watched show (persons 2+), the highest-rated show, and the No. 1 program across the key demographics of Adults 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 as well as Men 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 and Women 18-34 and 18-49.
SNF AVERAGE (P2+) VIEWERSHIP RANK AMONG Primetime SHOWS:
Fall TV Season
Full TV Season
2013, No. 1 Show
1st (Through 12/29/13)
2012, No. 1 Show
2011, No. 1 Show
2010, No. 1 Show
2009, No. 2 Show
2008, No. 5 Show
2007, No. 7 Show
2006, No. 7 Show
(Based on Live Plus Same Day data from The Nielsen Company)
SNF FINAL AVERAGE VIEWERSHIP: Sunday Night Football averaged 21.7 million viewers for the 2013 season, up from last year's season average of 21.4 million.
- In addition, the final average household rating of 12.8/21 (19 games) is on pace with the last three seasons of Sunday Night Football despite eight games decided by 15-or-more points.
- The first consecutive Primetime games in 20 seasons to post at least 26.5 million average viewers (not including NFL Kickoff games) with 26.9 million viewers for Kansas City-Denver on Nov. 17 and 26.5 million viewers for Denver-New England on Nov. 24.
- The most-watched October NFL Primetime telecast in 21 years and the most-watched October Primetime telecast of any kind since 2005 for Broncos-Colts featuring Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis on Oct. 20 (26.9 million viewers).
Most-Watched Primetime Shows (Sept. 1-Dec. 29, 2013)
Sunday Night Football (Eagles-Cowboys), 12/29