Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, Stanley Tucci & More Lead English Version of THE WIND RISES
An A-list roster of voice talent has been assembled for the English-language version of Studio Ghibli's "The Wind Rises," which opens in select North American theaters on Feb. 21, 2014, expanding wide on Feb. 28, 2014. The film marks director Hayao Miyazaki's final feature, as the legendary animation veteran announced his retirement in September 2013.
In "The Wind Rises," Jiro dreams of flying and designing beautiful airplanes, inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Caproni. Nearsighted and unable to be a pilot, he becomes one of the world's most accomplished airplane designers, experiencing key historical events in an epic tale of love, perseverance and the challenges of living and making choices in a turbulent world. The voice cast of the English-language version follows.
· JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT ("Don Jon," "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For") lends his voice to Jiro Horikoshi, who harbors strong ambitions to create his own beautiful airplane. A bubbling mix of wild excitement, extreme focus, individualism, pride, realism and idealism, Jiro also has a cool and brilliant mind and is recognized for his talent.
· JOHN KRASINSKI ("The Office," "Promised Land") provides the voice of Honjo, Jiro's college friend and fellow aviation engineer.
· EMILY BLUNT ("The Young Victoria," "Edge of Tomorrow," "Into the Woods") voices Nahoko Satomi, a beautiful and cheerful girl who is a passenger on the same train as Jiro on The Day of a natural disaster. Ten years later, they reunite.
· MARTIN SHORT ("Father of the Bride," "Saturday Night Live") was tapped to portray Kurokawa, Jiro's grumpy boss.
· STANLEY TUCCI ("Julie & Julia," "The Hunger Games" films, "The Devil Wears Prada") provides the voice of Caproni, an airplane creator known worldwide from the dawn of Italian aviation through the 1930s, who appears in Jiro's dreams to stir up, advise and voice Jiro's thoughts and emotions.
· MANDY PATINKIN ("Homeland," "The Princess Bride") lends his voice to Hattori, the senior designer at Mitsubishi.
· WERNER HERZOG ("Jack Reacher," filmmaker "Grizzly Man") voices Castorp, a mysterious visitor to Japan who encounters Jiro at a mountain resort.
· WILLIAM H. MACY ("Shameless," "Fargo") steps into the role of Satomi, Nahoko's father.
· MAE WHITMAN ("Parenthood," "The Perks of Being a Wallflower") was called on to voice Kayo Horikoshi, Jiro's younger sister, who adores him. Whitman also voices Kinu, Nahoko's caretaker.