Comscore

re: best high school straight plays

momtobwwannabee
Understudy
best high school straight plays
Posted: 4/30/06 at 06:56pm
What are your favorite straight plays for high schools? To see? or to perform? thanks
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/30/06 at 07:08pm
The Glass Menagerie
I peer through windows, watch life go by....Dream of tommorrow, but stay inside.
ashley0139
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/30/06 at 09:51pm
The Crucible
Rumors
"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
meggsison Profile Photo
meggsison
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/30/06 at 10:20pm
Yeah, I also like The Crucible.
The course of true love never did run smooth.
Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/1/06 at 12:56am
Lately it seems like everyone has been doing The Laramie Project, which I think is a great choice for more serious theatre in high schools. Other shows that I've seen work well in several high schools are Much Ado About Nothing, anything by Kaufman and Hart, and, surprisingly, Proof, although everytime I saw it in high school the f-words were taken out.

My high school always did more offbeat plays like Snow Angel, Necessary Targets, Museum, and Smash, mixed in with better known plays like Antigone, The Good Times Are Killing Me, The Matchmaker, and The Foreinger.
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/1/06 at 11:35am
Death
Why Do We Laugh
Down Came the Rain
Pop Song
I peer through windows, watch life go by....Dream of tommorrow, but stay inside.
millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/1/06 at 12:31pm
The plays we did in high school:

Fools
Arsenic and Old Lace

Rumors?
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
momtobwwannabee
Understudy
Posted: 5/1/06 at 12:53pm
Director is looking for play that will really "stretch" her students, very serious acting. AND this is a Christian school with even pretty strict guidelines. Which of these most fit the bill? Thank you all.
Fizz Profile Photo
Fizz
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/1/06 at 01:32pm
I personally love The Book of Liz and Romeo, You Idiot, but I'm not sure they're appropriate XD
dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/1/06 at 03:25pm
Try Anatomy of Gray!!! (Jim Leonard)

Our school did it this year and it was a great show. The Laramie Project probably isnt the best choice hahahaha i love that show, but for a Christian school....hmmm meybe not...
Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/1/06 at 06:36pm
Plays my school has done in the past few years:

The Laramie Project
Noises Off
Picasso At The Lapin Agile
You Can't Take It With You
The Children's Hour
Done To Death
The Importance Of Being Ernest
The Dining Room

I'm not sure if any of these are appropriate for a Christian School though. Our school barley let us do The Laramie Project. The play caused lots of controversy in our community too.
<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one
forni-kate
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/1/06 at 06:41pm
We've only done one straight play, and that was Waiting for Godot.

But pretty much no one came to see it besides the families of those who were in it and other drama nerds from around the city.

We had to push our teacher into it, but a few of us had our heart set on it in senior year and pretty much directed ourselves. A few big name directors from around town came to see and the general concensus was that we were fantastic...for a highschool, lol.
Kristen_0509 Profile Photo
Kristen_0509
Understudy
Posted: 5/1/06 at 10:25pm
RUMORS
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small compared to what lies within us..
momtobwwannabee
Understudy
Posted: 5/2/06 at 04:42am
In googling, I cannot find the play, Rumors? Do you know who published it or wrote it? Thanks.
ashley0139
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/2/06 at 06:58am
Rumors is by Neil Simon. It's hilarious. But not serious acting. The Importance of Being Ernest is good. The Crucible, while wonderful, is probably not BEST for a Christian school.
"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
angelrock25222 Profile Photo
angelrock25222
Stand-by
Posted: 5/2/06 at 04:56pm
odd couple, either version depending on your gender strength i spose haha
TheaterAddict7652
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/2/06 at 06:01pm
My school did Noises Off four years ago (I wasn't in high school at the time) and it was the best high school straight play I've ever scene. You need to have a really talented cast to pull it off, thought.
There's a lot I am not certain of...
TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/2/06 at 09:57pm
anyone hear of The Curious Savage? Cause that is what I am in right now and would love to hear opinions about it.
"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.
treyisthekiller Profile Photo
treyisthekiller
Stand-by
Posted: 5/2/06 at 11:37pm
my favorite productions to be in during high school, have been...

All My Sons...Arthur Miller
The Boys Next Door...Tom Griffin
Noises Off...Michael Frayn
'Acting provides the fulfillment of never being fulfilled. You're never as good as you'd like to be. So there's always something to hope for.' -- Washington Irving
Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/3/06 at 04:34pm
Taboo-My school did The Curious Savage a few years ago, but I wasn't in high school then. From what I heard it was a really good show. That probably doesn't help you much though.
<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one
StartaFire Profile Photo
StartaFire
Chorus Member
Posted: 5/3/06 at 04:41pm
Neil Simon's Barefoot in the Park, most things shakespeare are doable, and the Diary of Anne Frank seems to be a popular selection
TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/3/06 at 05:53pm
dancing- no it helps, its nice to know others have heard of this play haha
"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.
DezBryner Profile Photo
DezBryner
Stand-by
Posted: 5/3/06 at 07:39pm
Plays my Christian school has done:
Arsenic & Old Lace
Bullshot Crummond
Fools
Harvey
Charley's Aunt

Musicals my Christian school has done:
Cinderella
Pirates of Penzance
Guys & Dolls
Darn Yankees
Oklahoma
Schoolhouse Rock Live (Junior High)
Snoopy (Junior High)

Hope this helps. I'm always looking for new stuff as well. It's so difficult to find good, funny, and clean shows. I'm constantly checking the local Christian colleges to see what they're putting on. Azusa Pacific University and Vanguard University have excellent drama productions on a regular basis. I usually figure that whatever show they can do, we can do.
Good luck!!
TheatreJunkie3 Profile Photo
TheatreJunkie3
Chorus Member
Posted: 5/5/06 at 04:26pm
Did your school really change the name of "Damn Yankees" to "Darn Yankees" to put it on??
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/5/06 at 11:17pm
Welcome to Hell
On the Edge
Divine Intervention
snazzier
Understudy
Posted: 5/6/06 at 04:27pm
My school did You Can't Take It With you this past year and it was fabulous. We did Tom Jones last year- old fashioned comedy, but lovely. Two years ago we did two straight plays, Twelve Angry Men and The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man In The Moon Marigolds. Marigolds was absolutely amazing, but with a cast of only five women, it's hard to do in a high school.

Page: