Comscore

re: absolute correct way to say enjolras?

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
Leading Actor
absolute correct way to say enjorlas?
Posted: 7/19/05 at 08:04am
What is the right way of saying enjorlas (from les mis). I've heard it pronounced so many different ways.

Thanks!
TheEnchantedHunter
Broadway Legend

Ahn-jol-rahs.

Amelie Helie
Belleville, Paris
MTRBOI24
Broadway Star
ON-JOLE-RAHS?
zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
En-JAHL-Ras. Not JOLE. French J as well. It's almost a JSH sound, rather than the american JUH sound.
Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
Broadway Legend
Ahn-Jahl-Rah The first syllable is the french "Ahn" sound..so the vowel sound is a little darker and more nasal than the american AH. As zoran stated the middle syllable is pronounced as Jahl (with the french j sound...which is sort of an "ZS" sound like in Zsa Zsa Gabor). The final syllable is just Rah..the s is silent unless followed in a sentence by a word that begins in a vowel. Then the s is pronounced and combined with the beginning of the next word. Wow...this takes me back to high school french class..LOL
"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Broadway Legend
j = s in pleasure

AU(n)-johl-rahss

Au(n) is a nasal variant of the au in taunt.

And yes, though it is usually silent, you DO say the s

And it is Enjolras.

Updated On: 7/19/05 at 01:45 PM
Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
Broadway Legend
I think we are all pretty much saying it the same way..but are just struggling with how to type out the french vowel and consonant sounds phonetically! :) I think you did the best job expressing it though, Thenardier. Your choices of example words are right on. Too bad we can't just post a sound file of someone saying the name! I have a feeling that the next post may be someone asking how to pronounce Thenardier! :)
"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
MojaniD
Stand-by
It would help if you begin spelling it correctly.
Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
Broadway Legend
True...but that is the original poster's problem. I changed it in the subject line so at least now it will be correct in any subsequent posts.
Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
Broadway Legend
This page has an audio clip of how it's supposed to be pronounced:

http://lesmis.com/inspiration/pronounce/
"I am open-minded and accept Delph for who she is, a naked blue crackwhore." - Insomniak
"And they poke me with wittled down popsicle sticks." - Ebonic about the Brooklyn shills
Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Broadway Legend
yes, I was just about to pust that.

Except, they say Enjolras sort of wrong.

Well, on the Paris Revival it is said with a definitie s.
BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
Broadway Legend
I don't remmber anyone even saying his name in the show?
lol and i played the part
elphieisperky
Broadway Star
Oh my God, this topic makes me laugh so much. When I was in Les Miz, or director kept saying it as In-jor-ass. It was hilarious. But yeah, it's En-jo-rahs.

Updated On: 7/19/05 at 04:53 PM
Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Broadway Legend
When they set up the barricade, a studet yells out his name.

Advertisement

Advertisement