Aretha to Guest Star in After Midnight?

bwayboy22
Stand-by
How do you all think this would go down? Would producers even be willing to have her if she only will do 4 shows a week?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/176110/respect-aretha-franklin-eyeing-star-turn-in-after-midnight-on-broadway/
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
pray she does it in the winter. Aretha feels that AC messes with her voice.
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
No desire to see her, as her voice has not been goof at all recently. the problem is she keeps trying to hit these notes that she can't hit anymore. when she sings in her lower register, she sounds good, it's just the high notes that are not good (But she keeps trying to hit them.)

But I think if she sticks to the notes she can hit, she will be OK. She keeps trying to be an Soprano when she's an Alto now.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 5/28/14 at 01:54 PM
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
6 maybe, 4 is iffy. But it would be an event, either way.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
^ True that. I mean, who doesn't know who Aretha Franklin is or at least know the name.
Darreyl with an L!
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Yeah, jonartdesigns, that is so true. She once did a show in the middle of summer (in Jacksonville, Florida) People were dressed in their finest. The air conditioning was turned off per her instructions. People were complaining and wanted a refund. The theatre management turned the ac on, and she walked off the stage after two songs. How many songs does the special guest perform? I was under the impression it was less than five.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
^ I am pretty sure it's 4 or 5- I am leaning toward 4 because I can't remember if the Guest Star is in the very final number or not.
Darreyl with an L!
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Thanks Darreyl. If that is true, are four songs that demanding each night for a month-six week contract? I saw Aretha in concert last year at an outdoor venue, in the heat, and she performed a full concert. (20 or more songs) That was song after song. If in After Midnight, there are only 4 songs, I would assume they are spread out. I would give her a break for six shows, a week, but 4? Get another diva!
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
It's only 4 songs, I don't think that's the point. It's showing up and getting ready 8 times a week.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend

She'll do the show as long as she doesn't have to see Patti. LOL

Darreyl with an L!
justincharacter
Broadway Star
4? Meh. Go ahead and call up Jennifer Holliday
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Sade?
BobNC
Stand-by
Love Aretha, but, seeing her in concert was one of the biggest disappointments in over 40 years of concert going.
Visceral_Fella
Broadway Star
Oh yes, Sade is a fantastic idea!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
OMFG Sade! YES!!
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.