Ryan Murphy INTENT on Teaming with Lea Michele for FUNNY GIRL Broadway Revival

FOAnatic
Broadway Legend
You know...in case you hadn't gleaned that from the other 500 articles that have said the same thing.

This title reads almost as if it's a threat.
Link
"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
HA! Just saw him pushing a baby carriage on Commercial Street in Ptown today!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Yep, we could have just read the article with the exact same headline.
nomore.org
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
I feel a Catalano rant coming on....
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Like I said before, just let these two insanely egotistical people do it already so they can both just finally shut the hell up about it.
fashionguru_23
Broadway Star
I agree with Jordan. Just shut them up, and I will go into a hole while its playing.
"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Well...he's the pimp with pizazz.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Kad
Broadway Legend
Why do I have the feeling they'll be talking about this for years without it ever materializing?
theatregeek6
Leading Actor
I have always wanted a Funny Girl revival
But this. Ick. Just Ick.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
I've only seen "Glee" once or twice, so this is a real question: Is she, you know, funny?
ShakinBaconGirl
Featured Actor
I've always thought Lea would make a great Fanny, until I saw this...http://youtu.be/VnAhYJTBjsE. Sure she can sing the hell out of it, but she certainly can't act it.
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Are they trying to keep me away from NY.

I could see a lot of women in a revival - but not Lea Michele. Bleech.
<---------- No kids, no man, but I have some great pussies! And, If you're lucky, you too can call me Your Sassy Hagness.
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Michele could be funny in the first season when she wasn't a complete robot--or at least not in a way that was as apparent as it is now. Her character had a lot of quirks and I thought when you removed all the after school-ness of the show, she could land some laughs. That is no longer the case, and it has been quite a few years now since that season. Since then, her performances (including other things besides GLEE like the atrocious NEW YEAR'S EVE) have had the depth of a sheet of paper, and she can't land a joke to save her life. I always bitch and moan about this on FUNNY GIRL threads, but Fanny needs to actually be funny! She's a comedienne, a world-class comedienne. To me, Barbra won the Oscar because she could do a hilarious line reading and then turn around and break your heart. Michele can do neither. If her and Murphy wanna do this, more power to them, I think that sound I hear is the NY critics (and us at BWW) sharpening their knives.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Also, the woman cannot act her way out of a paper bag.

Plenty of women I can see in this role - she is not one of them.
<---------- No kids, no man, but I have some great pussies! And, If you're lucky, you too can call me Your Sassy Hagness.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
That clip was really, really not good.
ShakinBaconGirl
Featured Actor
I always forget how young Barbra was when she did Funny Girl. You really need someone who can do it all for this particular show. It all rides on Fanny...She is the show. I don't think Lea is right for this role, but I do wish she would return to Broadway in something.
ShakinBaconGirl
Featured Actor
"That clip was really, really not good."

It really wasn't. I understand that the actors don't have much time to figure out choreography and blocking for the musical numbers, but I really expected better from Miss Michele. She kept raising her arms in a V like she didn't know what else to do. Did she think she was playing Evita? It was a simply a soulless performance. I saw no fanny, I just saw Lea. Clearly she isn't the greatest star.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
It's almost like she's supposed to be playing (a bad) Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
She'll be marginally better than Pia Zadora.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Acting4Food
Swing
See that's just the point. If this happens, she won't be playing Fanny, she'll be playing Barbara Streisand playing Fanny. Also, that book is gonna need some cleaning. It's creakier than Charity.
Used to be Carl Magnum. Now I'm acting for food.
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
I first read this as Ryan Silverman INTENT on....

Not a bad idea, Ryan Silverman as Nick!
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Murphy's "revisal" of the book could be scary. Criss as Arnstein?
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
She's a great big clump, of....something.

Besides, she's supposed to be singing that song to Eddie Ryan. He's no where on that stage. Just her, strolling back and forth and paying more attention to the audience than her performance.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 5/9/14 at 08:19 PM
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
This is making the show's logo very, very sad:

Page: