Comscore

Foxwoods back to the Lyric; Kong out, On the Town in...

iluvtheatertrash Profile Photo
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Bizarre.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
1,900 seats? How do they possibly think On the Town can succeed in a house that size? I love the show, but it seems pretty nuts to me.

Sounds like Kong could STILL take the Lyric. I can't imagine On the Town succeeding in that space for very long.
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Nice to see the theatre return to its original name, though! (Sort of. If I recall correctly, that space is actually a combination of the old Lyric AND the Apollo.)
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
ON THE TOWN is indeed a bizarre show for this theatre, unless they have Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway set to co-star.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Leading Actor
My immediate thought is Kong is booking the Broadway Theater. That was in their top 3, no?
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
It's too bad, because the various reviews of this OTT production last Summer made it sound like it was a revival of this great show that might actually, for once, *work* Weird.
NewSynchopation
Stand-by
It has been a known fact for a while that the Foxwoods was being renamed the Lyric, but On the Town!? Seems really odd. Looks like next season will be heavy on revivals.

Updated On: 3/6/14 at 12:26 PM
broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
These has to be major star wattage attached to this. No way they would choose the largest theatre on Broadway with a relatively small and not particularly well known show otherwise.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
neonlightsxo
Broadway Legend
The Barrington production had no stars. If they are really just transferring the Barrington production then maybe the producers are just that stupid.
Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
Broadway Star
I doubt that, neonlights. It just seems almost TOO obvious that this couldn't work in a theater that big without a star. Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic based on how much I want to see Tony Yazbeck and Jay Armstrong Johnson do it.
I started a blog! Cause I'm a nerd. http://100showsayear.blogspot.com/
rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
But a spokesman for the “Kong” producers said on Thursday those plans have changed “because of the huge scale of the production, as well as the time needed to implement creative changes.”

Kong in its current state, would not have lasted a month or more. It really was a train wreck of a show.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
Leading Actor
I loved the Barrington production from last year and despite how well executed and enjoyable it was, I think it'll be swallowed alive in that theater. Perhaps the producers have something huge up their sleeves that could fill almost 2000 seats. What I saw last summer was wonderful, but not something designed for a huge barn
Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
Broadway Star
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this theater is WAY to huge for this show. The Gershwin was too big for the last revival which came in with a slew of glowing notices from the park. I can't imagine a star big enough (who would be willing to do it) that would fill this barn.
I loved RAGTIME in this theater (even from the top balcony when I am a front row center orchestra guy) but really didn't care for 42nd street as I felt it got swallowed whole in this space (and was sitting pretty darn close). No way a charming, intimate show like this should be here. Kind of like the TOM SAWYER musical was lost in the cavernous Minskoff. Producers really need to learn that size DOES matter!
2014 Show Schedule: 3/08 @ 8:00 pm ~ THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Columbus, OH); 4/11 @ 8:00 pm ~ BULLETS OVER BROADWAY (Broadway), 4/12 @ 2:00 pm ~ ROCKY (Broadway), 4/12 @ 8:00 pm ~ THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (Broadway), 4/13 @ 2:00 pm ~ CASA VALENTINA (Broadway), 4/13 @ 7:00 pm ~ SEX TIPS FOR STRAIGHT WOMEN FROM A GAY MAN (Off-Broadway); 4/14 @ 8:00 pm ~ HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH (Broadway); 6/06 @ 8:00 pm ~ PIPPIN (Broadway); 6/07 @ 2:00 pm ~ A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER (Broadway); 6/07 @ 8:00 pm ~ IF/THEN (Broadway); 6/08 @ 3:00 pm ~ HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH; 6/08 @ 7:30 pm ~ HEATHERS THE MUSICAL (Off-Broadway)...(MORE to come, I hope)
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Maybe the producers cut them a really good deal to use the theater? Is there a way to curtain off the theater like they do at the Broadway?
Owen22
Broadway Legend
This is...just weird...
Billy Bigelow
Chorus Member
Maybe they'll be able to renovate the theater and make it nicer and feel like less of a barn.

Still a weird choice of theater for this show. Especially since lots of theaters will soon be opening up as shows close this spring/summer.
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Does this means Dames is taking the Broadway? (Joke)
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
This will be heavily papered from opening to closing night. This is one crazy ass move. A guaranteed money loser.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
Broadway Star
FVCK YEAH!!!!
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
"revivals do not usually fill up theaters"

That was a pretty dismissive phrase from the Times. And certainly enough examples to disprove it...
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
After Eight
Broadway Legend
"It's too bad, because the various reviews of this OTT production last Summer made it sound like it was a revival of this great show that might actually, for once, *work*"

Many productions of this show have worked.
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
"Maybe they'll be able to renovate the theater and make it nicer and feel like less of a barn."

I really did have a barn feel, I hated it almost as much as the Winter Garden. Massive theaters just don't work for me.
Dilettante
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Wasn't the Barrington production rather light on scenery?
RW3 Profile Photo
RW3
Broadway Star
I was hoping that Cameron Mackintosh already called the theater for a hopeful Miss Saigon revival.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
I'm sorry, but this is just stupid - both artistically and financially.

Page:

Advertisement