Brilliant Broadway take-down of Russian government homophobia

tazber
Broadway Legend
Namo posted this on the OT board and it is so amazingly wonderful that someone suggested we post it on this board as well.

So enjoy!
Link
....but the world goes 'round
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Amazing video! So hypocritical of Russia to enact that law, given that their most succesful pop group was tATu, two young girls pretending to be lesbians.
All The Things She Said
sinister teashop
Understudy
Whoever put this thing together did not think too hard about how it might be received by the Russian LGBT's who are the victims of this bill.
"Riches of the imagination, not the imagination of riches." - Charles Ludlam
darquegk
Broadway Legend
I think it's the age-old question of whether to face tragedy and injustice with solemnity and rage, or satire. I tend to believe satire DOES work, but I know many disagree.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

A satirical piece in the Times is one thing, but bricks and baseball bats really gets right to the point of it.
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Whoever put this thing together did not think too hard about how it might be received by the Russian LGBT's who are the victims of this bill.

On the contrary, I think they did.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
I'm not finding anything on the Internet about the Russian government shutting down all theatre. In fact, I know of a number of American plays licensed there now. Am I missing something here?
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Lilla Crawford's cameo and Laura and Stephanie's duet clinched it for me!
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
"I'm not finding anything on the Internet about the Russian government shutting down all theatre. In fact, I know of a number of American plays licensed there now. Am I missing something here?"

Yes. The joke.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
I think if they weren't thinking of the LGBT victims in Russia it would never have occurred to anyone to create this piece. I can't imagine they were thinking of anything else.
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend
^I agree, Reginald.

I just watched it and I think it's pretty brilliant. Hilarious, but also gets the message across.

Also, I would totally go see a musical where Laura Benanti and Stephanie J. Block played lesbian Russian astronauts.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend

Yes. The joke.

^^^ This ^^^
yr pal,
joey

best12bars
Broadway Legend
Also, I would totally go see a musical where Laura Benanti and Stephanie J. Block played lesbian Russian astronauts.

"Cause Me Not" made me laugh a lot.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
sinister teashop
Understudy
Funny for whom? Americans who think making fun of Russian accents is hilarious or the LGBT Russians they're allegedly advocating for?

Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
^ Party pooper.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend

Funny for whom? Americans who think making fun of Russian accents is hilarious or the LGBT Russians they're allegedly advocating for?

Too much salt in your borscht?

Stop being such a Blini Meanie.
yr pal,
joey

tazber
Broadway Legend
Funny for Americans who care about the abuses being suffered by Russian LGBT and can appreciate a satire deflating the pompous and evil dictatorship over there.
....but the world goes 'round
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Also, it's fair to say that this is a way to spread the word about what's going on. It is truly astounding how many people are not aware.
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Yes, they could have accomplished so much more with a tersely worded statement that they all signed?
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
sinister teashop
Understudy
I think the below is an effective video. It turns the spotlight on the LGBT Russians who are fighting in the street as well as on a powerful American corporation that is complicit in Russia's anti-gay laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11nN5yee7U
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Wow…nobody held *you* as a baby, did they?
sinister teashop
Understudy
No, no, I get it. I want to sit at the cool kid's table too... but not if they're a bunch of idiots.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
I can't believe that I just discovered this

This is seriously the best thing ever. I'm so impressed on how many Broadway stars they got! I lost it at Stephen Schwartz
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)

BROADWAYWORLD TV