Leading Actor
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 02:35pm
So. Who played whom yesterday?
mgldan
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 02:55pm
Dunno about yesterday, but at the Sunday matinee, Betsy Struxness is on as Mrs. Wormwood, Clay Thomson is on as Michael, and Natalie Venetia Belcon is the librarian. Those are the ones I don't recognizes the regulars, but I'm a little out of the loop, so if I've accidentally named a regular as an alternate, let me know!

Paige Brady is on as Matilda. It's my third time seeing the show, so I will try very hard to discern all the secrets that I haven't figured out yet...
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 02:57pm
Plague? Are they all ill?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
RevoltingChild23
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 02:58pm
I have a friend who was at the show yesterday, and right before Loud they pulled Lesli and got Betsy to fill in for her. Before the Thripp throw Ava also left, presumably because she was ill, and Heather filled in for her. Gabriella was supposed to be on and Ben was supposed to be on as well, but before the show there was an announcement that Milly would be on, and John Arthur Greene would be on as the escape artist.
mgldan
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 02:59pm
I guess Natalie Venetia Belcon is the regular now, my apologies. Sean Montgomery is on as the party entertainer / Sergei, and Richard H. Blake is the escapologist. So, four substitutions this afternoon. I'm particularly sad about Lesli being out.
RevoltingChild23
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:01pm
Yesterday night Phillip Spaeth posted a photo on his twitter with all the cast members that are sick but he deleted it but someone has posted it on tumblr
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:20pm
^You beat me to it. That seriously stinks. HALF of the cast?! O_O Still, it'd be cool, seeing the show with mostly understudies and swings.
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
Matt1
Stand-by
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:23pm
Yes, was told both Ava and Leslie left mid-show yesterday. Milly and Paige are only healthy Matilda's at the moment. On the off day tomorrow they really need to clean backstage. One of the swings had to play five characters in one scene last night as so many cast members were out.
girlonbroadway
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:37pm
Was it Clay's debut as Michael?
Matt1
Stand-by
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:38pm
Nope he has played it before.
RevoltingChild23
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:39pm
Heather Tepe said that she had to start learning male tracks during intermission - sounds crazy!
girlonbroadway
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 03:45pm
Yeah, the cast is talking about in on Twitter. The ensemble were changing their tracks like crazy on stage.
JBroadway
Leading Actor
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 04:20pm
oh my god, this is crazy. Has anything like this ever happened before?
bwayboy22
Stand-by
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 05:49pm
Members of the crew have been affected as well and Milly Shapiro is also sick.
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 05:56pm
^That would mean they have ONE healthy Matilda! I wonder if they will bring in one of the other two Newtildas in early...
Matt1
Stand-by
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:05pm
It would depend on if they are ready. My guess is by Tuesday (or Wednesday if Paige does Tuesday) Bailey who has been sick most of the week would be ready to go back on. Also Oona lives in the city if they are really stuck.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:05pm
Healthy for now... It's a good thing there are two full days before Tuesday night. Hopefully this will be a 24-48 hour thingy and all will be almost back to normal by Tuesday night.

Matt you and I typed at the same time - so yes, I agree, I guess in an emergency they could look to a Newtilda or an Oldtilda. It would not be unheard of - I remember hearing in London that some of the Matilda kids who left still did personal appearances for the show.

Updated On: 1/5/14 at 06:05 PM
mgldan
Swing
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:35pm
The GIF from Philip Spaeth shows Emma, Jared, and Sawyer crossed out, but they were all in today. So at least some of the cast is getting over it quickly.
MCfan2
Broadway Star
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:40pm
JBroadway -- it sounds a lot like what happened with the recent run of My Fair Lady at Arena Stage, here in D.C. Don't know if it's ever happened in NYC before, though.

Hope all those poor Matilda cast members are feeling better very soon!
mikey2573
Broadway Star
Matilda plague
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:43pm
I recall something like this happening during BILLY ELLIOT. I don't think it was the entire cast, just the Billys. For some reason, during his final week of the show, Kiril Kulish had to play Billy for the entire week. Apparently one Billy was away on a scheduled vacation and the other 2 were ill or injured. Alex Ko was waiting in the wings to come in, but was not 100% ready yet, so Kiril did the whole week leading up to his final show. Anyone familiar with BILLY ELLIOT knows what a marathon playing that title role must be --it is a MUCH more physically demanding role than Matilda.