ROAR! 'The Lion King' on track to become Broadway's first $1 billion blockbuster

finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Taymor may have brought us the most expensive musical ever in Spiderman but whoa!!
'The Lion King' on track to become Broadway's first $1 billion blockbuster
BwayGeek2
Stand-by
Wow, impressive. But definitely not surprising. If it was any show, it was gonna be Lion King. Congrats!
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Don't really care for the show that much, but congrats to them! This is HUGE!
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
How so? Phantom has been running for way longer? It has Lion King by at least 8 years, right?
N2N Nate.
Broadway Star
Too bad only the first 5 minutes are worth watching. Hehe, just kidding. Congrats to LION KING! I saw the show in LA and thought it was fantastic.
So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
one of my all time favorites.
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
How so? Phantom has been running for way longer? It has Lion King by at least 8 years, right?

Yes, but Broadway's FIRST billion dollar blockbuster... That's quite an accomplishment IMO.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
I am surprised The Lion King beat Phantom to the billion dollar mark
RW3
Broadway Star
Congrats to them on such an achievement! Wish Jason was still here to see this happen...
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Lion King grosses about $1m more than Phantom per week plus Phantom would have grossed in its early days probably around $400-500,000 which would have been huge back then,
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
bwayphreak, I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Still it had an 8 year head start. I'm just surprised, but good for LIon King. It doesn't show any signs of slowing down.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
^ Oh sorry. I thought you were questioning my post!
Cape Twirl of Doom
Broadway Legend
Wow, amazing! Congrats to them.

(If you look at worldwide however, Phantom has them [and in fact everything, including movies!] beat. I think they must be upwards of $6 billion by now.)
"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
I think Lion King still beats Phantom globally. It's grossed over 5 billion (I don't know the exact number) and has the most productions going on simultaneously than any other show, pretty much ever. And if you want to include movies, The Lion King is still very profitable for Disney.

I will say that I think Disney's business expertise probably helped Lion King immensely.
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
I think Lion King still beats Phantom globally. It's grossed over 5 billion (I don't know the exact number) and has the most productions going on simultaneously than any other show, pretty much ever. And if you want to include movies, The Lion King is still very profitable for Disney.

I will say that I think Disney's business expertise probably helped Lion King immensely.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Broadway Legend
Re: worldwide grosses, Lion King is a close second. Lion King has taken in $5B while Phantom is at $5.6B. (Though Phantom's number may be higher as that figure was current a year ago.)
"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"