If/Then Opening Number

ohjustjake
Leading Actor
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/16/13 at 11:40pm
Anyone see this on broadway.com? It's a small snippet from the opening number for If/Then:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/172395/exclusive-get-a-taste-of-idina-menzel-singing-the-opening-number-from-ifthen/

Thoughts?
http://www.jakevsthecity.com
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 12:07am
Idina sounds better than ever.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 12:38am
Pretty generic music and lyrics...
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 03:27am
Getting a little worried but it is out of context. Out of context snippets of N2N would sound pretty generic too.
Broadwaystar2
Stand-by
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 03:33am
Sometimes words don't have to be complicated to get your point across! And THAT'S what keeps an audience interested.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 03:34am
^ No, they wouldn't.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Broadwaystar2
Stand-by
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 05:18am
You all do so much bashing on here. I would LOVE for any of you to write the PERFECT show!
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 05:24am
Yes, I would love it if I could do that thank you.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 05:45am
"ALL" is hyperbole....especially when fewer than 10 people have even responded to this thread.

An opnion doesn't equal bashing. Nor does criticism.

What you fail to realize, is that MOST of the people here will see the show, and if they like it, they'll say so, if they don't, they'll say so.

When a show releases info, they are hoping to get interest -- it doesn't always work.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 06:56am
This show just keeps getting more and more uninteresting with each announcement of any sort.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
tazber
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 07:50am
^^^^

I agree.

The first song clip was really lackluster. I figured it was just a snippet and I have no idea what the show is about so I wasn't ready to even begin forming an opinion.

This snippet sounds better, but it's not grabbing me at all.

Obviously I'm reserving judgement until I see it, but it's not on my "omg I can't wait!" list.
....but the world goes 'round
BwayGeek2
Stand-by
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 10:59am
Idina sounds amazing – really liked the first clip as well. Getting more excited for this show.
mybigsplash
Leading Actor
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 11:03am
10 years to make N2N. 2 years to make If/then. I'm not expecting brilliance.
Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 11:05am
The whole premise of the show just sounds uninteresting, and the music (going off the snippets they have released thus far) does not seem to be helping IMO. Maybe it's one of those shows that doesn't sound good on paper, but will be incredible onstage... Guess we will wait and see.
morosco
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 12:05pm
I still really hate the name of the show.
N2N Nate.
Broadway Star
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 12:19pm
I really liked that short snippet. It's not much to go on but you can definitely tell the N2N team is writing this show. Idina does sound great and I'm very excited for her. I haven't always been the biggest fan of her, but I am genuinely happy to see her originating another tough role. She still has it :)

But yeah, I wish they would change the name.
So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
Updated On: 10/17/13 at 12:19 PM
bwaydreamer
Understudy
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 02:53pm
I agree with you bwayphreak. It hasn't necessarily jumped out at me yet but the premise sounds good and until you see something on stage you never know. I do think the songs are sounding a little generic, BUT Idina sounds incredible. and that cast is insane so I would see it just for them.
Starship
Broadway Star
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 03:15pm
I'd see it for the cast. Idina just can't be missed.
N2N Nate.
Broadway Star
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 03:18pm
I just hope her voice holds up if the show is a hit.
So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
Littleshopofcarrie
Leading Actor
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/17/13 at 05:21pm
Anyone else take a second look at the poster that came along with the article and feel like they altered Idina's cartoon face a little?
holdyourbatboy
Understudy
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/18/13 at 02:04pm
IF/THEN has been worked on for much more than 2 years. They've been having development workshops and labs for a long time - they've all just been very private.

Yes- they did alter the face on the artwork! Just noticed as well. It looks much better, IMHO.

I really like the clips - however, I can't understand why they'd use that male singer in the beginning of the 2nd one. He has one of those really annoying 'i have a musical theater voice but i'm trying to sound rock/pop'. He actually has the type of nasal musical theater voice that makes non-theater people cringe - like an SNL version of Broadway. However, the clip improves a great deal when she comes in.
sr4mjc
Stand-by
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/18/13 at 10:35pm
Don't really care for the opening guy, but Idina sounds lovely. I'm in.
MKunkel
Understudy
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/21/13 at 10:11am
More clips...not sure how I feel about this one though.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=601044
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/21/13 at 11:50am
Every song that has been released so far is Idina lamenting about life. The lyrics are absolutely awful... "In closets and on shelves"?

Updated On: 10/21/13 at 11:50 AM
morosco
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/21/13 at 12:06pm
She's sounding more and more like Dolly Parton.
fingerlakessinger
Broadway Legend
If/Then Opening Number
Posted: 10/21/13 at 12:24pm
Aren't the lyrics "and in closets and ON shelves"?

I think "You Learn to Live Without" is a gorgeous song. "Here We Go" I am going to hold my judgement on until I see the context it is set in.
Both songs Idina sounds amazing IMO. The Dolly Parton comparison I fail to see however.
I'm eager to learn what the hell the plot is about though. They are intentionally giving a VERY vague outline right now which kind of makes it sound boring. I'm hoping it is a clever marketing ploy and that something surprising is going to happen.
"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Page: