Musicals Set In New York City

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:33pm
I am doing a project, wondering if you guys could help?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:36pm
I don't know how complete this list is, but a quick scan tells me it seems pretty accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plays_and_musicals_set_in_New_York_City

That should get you started.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
BroadwayChica
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:36pm
Guys and Dolls
In the Heights
Brooklyn
The Producers
A Chorus Line
The Capeman
Avenue Q

a gazillion others
After Eight
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:43pm
Tenderloin
Up in Central Park
The Girl in Pink Tights

All with nice scores.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:49pm
Rags
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 05:52pm
Fiorello
Subways Are For Sleeping
On The Town
Mame
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 06:07pm
West Side Story
On the Town
part of Hello, Dolly!
rorschach37
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/6/11 at 06:08pm
Rent
West Side Story
Funny Girl
Little Shop of Horrors
The Producers
Eos
Leading Actor
Posted: 11/6/11 at 06:10pm
Company!
The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.
St. Louis Theatre Snob
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 06:15pm
Among countless others:

all or mostly:

Knickerbocker Holiday (well, New Amsterdam)
Street Scene
42nd Street
Promises, Promises
On The Town
Wonderful Town
Lady in the Dark
One Touch of Venus
West Side Story
A Chorus Line
Funny Girl
The Life
Hazel Flagg (mostly)
The Goodbye Girl
Tenderloin
A Chorus Line
Guys and Dolls (mostly)
Merrily We Roll Along
Company
Follies
Saturday Night
How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying
Falsettos (although it could be anywhere)
Seesaw

significantly:

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever
Hello Dolly
Ragtime

partly:

Gypsy (pivotal first act scenes; closing scene)
Anything Goes (opening scenes)
Brigadoon (second act turning point)

gypsy4
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/6/11 at 07:05pm
Annie
brettarnett
Stand-by
Posted: 11/6/11 at 07:20pm
Hair
NoName3
Leading Actor
Posted: 11/6/11 at 07:49pm
Kelly
showchoirguy
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/6/11 at 08:12pm
Wonderland
explorer
Stand-by
Posted: 11/6/11 at 08:15pm
Seesaw. One of the best!
bobbybaby85
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/6/11 at 09:11pm
"Rent
West Side Story
Funny Girl
Little Shop of Horrors"

Is Little Shop "really" set in New York? The film that the musical is based on is definitely set in the Skid Row of Los Angeles and that's clear because it's mentioned. In the stage show the city is never mentioned, although the shop "does" earn the Rose Bowl account which makes sense for a Los Angeles florist and not at all for a florist in New York in the 60s... The flowers would never stay fresh being shipped. That plot point also exists in the original film. Also, in the finale, in the "other" cities it lists that the plant has taken over, New York is listed. If the show is set in NY, wouldn't it already be assumed that New York's been attacked? Why tell us again?

LA's Skid Row is quite recognized by that name... it was even the city name put on fire engines and ambulances in the area for a while.
pinoyidol2006
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:54pm
For me, Company is the first musical I think of when I think of New York.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Thoroughly Modern Millie.
I like your imperturbable perspicacity.
staunchcharacter
Stand-by
Posted: 11/7/11 at 12:21am
The Addams Family mansion is in Central Park...
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 12:37am
Bells Are Ringing
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 06:05am
Are you sure about Wonderland being set in New York?

Wasn't Funny Girl also partly set in Baltimore?

BTW keep them coming, love you guys.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 07:13am
The Lion King
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 07:42am
Come in Chewy, you being silly, we all know The Lion King is set in Los Angeles!1 lol
After Eight
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 07:42am
Café Crown
Bajour
Skyscraper
Maggie Flynn
Henry, Sweet Henry

Partly:

The Nervous Set
Sophie
Jennie
egghumor
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:37am
I didn't notice THE TAP DANCE KID on any previous lists.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/7/11 at 12:03pm
How much of the following would you say is set in New York in % please.

The Producers
Funny Girl
42nd Street
Knickerbocker Holiday
Hello Dolly
Mame
Ragtime
Guys and Dolls
Merrily Roll Along
On A Clear Day
Gypsy
sing_dance_love
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/7/11 at 12:18pm
Sweet Charity was the first one I thought of.
"...and in a bed."

Page: