Printer Friendly - re: BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER

BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER
Posted by I <3 NY 2005-06-15 13:10:45

What are the best colleges for BFA's in musical theater?

re: BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER
Posted by brdlwyr 2005-06-15 13:14:31

One of the best for musical theatre is certainly Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 13:15:59

Carnege Mellon
Cincinnati Conservatory
Boston Conservatory
University of Michigan
University of Oklahoma

...are a few of the very best programs. But, tell us exactly what you are looking for in a program and we could give better recommendations!

Posted by I <3 NY 2005-06-15 13:18:00

Individual attention I think is a must have.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 13:22:00

In regards to Northwestern, it is not a BFA program. Once you get accepted into either the school of music (BM in music) or theatre (BA in thetare - which is not an auditioned program), you can then audition at the end of the freshman year, I believe, to begin the Musical Theatre CERTIFICATE program. I hear it is a very good program, but it is not a conservatory program. It allows to double major in other disciplines, so that's good if you're interested in a double major.

Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-06-15 13:31:13

Is it better to major in musical theater or just theater?

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 13:35:17

If you're at a place with a REALLY good acting program, then MT is a good idea just because it makes you more versatile. However, I would say not to go in for a musical theatre program where you're not going to get great acting training, because leads can do more than just sing and dance.

Posted by gymman 2005-06-15 13:36:49

Tisch School @ NYU

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 13:41:41

see the link below for the thread about CAP21, the musical theatre training studio of Tisch/NYU.

Posted by Eliza0114 2005-06-15 13:45:01

If you really want to do musical theatre, get a classical vocal performance degree, and then go out to get your Masters of Fine Arts. Agencies and casting directors will take you more seriously...look at Kristen Chenoweth. I'm not saying AT ALL that this is the only way to go about doing things, but it is certainly a decent idea. Otherwise, I would say that NYU has an excellent musical theatre program...their CAP21 is top-notch. Also, NYU offers a vocal performance major within the Steinhardt School of Education that is musical theatre.

Posted by cathywellerstein 2005-06-15 13:52:03

you've gotta watch out though if you decide to be trained in a strictly classical technique. i hate to say it, but the way it looks to me, broadway is moving further and further from the classical style.

i'd love to be trained classically, but i'm not gonna focus on only that.

Posted by freeadmission 2005-06-15 13:59:30

What about Elon University here in crappy ol' North Carolina? I've been considering applying there and want to know what you smarter people think about it.

Posted by WayWicked 2005-06-15 14:02:40

briarbrad...

I think you mean Oklahoma City University NOT University of Oklahoma.

There is a difference! Oklahoma City University produces legendary Broadway performers like Kristin Chernoweth and Kelli O'Hara. The other produces some of the best community theater performers in the nation. I won't go into the differences.

And Oklahoma City University offers a BM in muscial theater because it is a program from the music school, unlike others schoools who offer a BFA cause it comes from the theater department.

Posted by I <3 NY 2005-06-15 14:03:59

i heard theres a gr8 conservatory in NC. dont recall thename though

Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-06-15 14:08:45

I'm applying to Elon... it's my first choice.

When I was in Stratford, I was talking to some of the actors about schools in Canada to look at. Everyone said Sheridan, but because it's a college they don't offer a degree or something? I don't understand that... Can anyone from Canada explain?

Posted by gymman 2005-06-15 14:10:30

My nephew just finished his first year at Tisch; this is a REAL theater program, where he worked almost non-stop on real theater, NYC-style. But come with plenty of $$$--50,000 per year and climbing.

Posted by PleaseChangeMe 2005-06-15 14:13:23

Sorry about using the topic to ask a question, I <3 NY, but I heard that while Juilliard is prestigious, it's not the best school to go to to major in Musical Theatre, and that Carnegie Mellon is better. Is this true?

Posted by IveGottaBeME 2005-06-15 14:14:27

check out the University of the Arts in Philly

Posted by Eliza0114 2005-06-15 14:17:28

You are probably thinking about the North Carolina School of the Arts. Mary Louis Parker attended, among many other rather famous people now. At any rate, Elon is very good as well, take it from a girl who hails from good ole North Carolina, but I hate to say it, if you want the best opportunities (not necessarily education) you need to get out of small towns. Carnegie Mellon, I agree is very good. Ithaca College also has a good program...Michelle Federer attended. Go to the school's websites and look at the credentials of the teachers, as well. Do they have actual stage experience? Go with those...they will give you the best advice.

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-06-15 14:17:31

Please change me, Juilliard does not offer a musical theatre program. It's straight drama, voice, or dance.

brdwaybaby17, Sheridan is a great program for MT and certainly the best option in Canada, and one of the best in N.A. It's a two year conservatory program but you can also do a combined program with U of T and end up with a degree.

Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-06-15 14:20:08

U of T??

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-06-15 14:28:25

University of Toronto.

Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-06-15 14:30:08

Ahh... so, what do you mean by a combined program? Would you do it through U of T or through Sheridan? And can you get a double major? lol Lots of questions from me...

Posted by Jwei123 2005-06-15 14:32:55

Ithaca and Syracuse also have great programs in ny!

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 14:40:05

No, I definitely meant University of Oklahoma. While Oklahoma City University does have some good voice programs, it is definitely not considered one of the best musical theatre programs, whereas OU is.

Posted by DivaQueen332 2005-06-15 14:49:51

Elon has a GREAT musical theatre program. I attend a small college in South Carolina for vocal performance, but if I had gone for musical theatre, Elon would have been at the top of my list.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 14:57:05

please change me: although Juilliard has no Musical Theater major, students in the drama division can take voice lessons and I believe that students in the vocal performance program can take acting classes. Audra McDonald graduated from the vocal performance program and Sara Ramirez came out of the acting division.

Posted by jim coleman 2005-06-15 15:05:38

University of Arizona at Tucson--very good--I did some Master Classes there this year and it is very good. Marsha Bagwell is on the faculty there, and she is magnificent. A brillian performer in her own right, and a great teacher.

Posted by freeadmission 2005-06-15 15:18:04

NC School of the Arts doesn't offer a musical theatre program. Just a professional acting or a voice program. I was pretty bummed about that simply because it would cut my driving time in half were I to commute there instead of Elon.

Posted by Eliza0114 2005-06-15 15:20:21

That is true, but it is an excellent institute.

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-06-15 15:23:17

briarbrad, I think waywicked is correct, you're confusing the two and OCU is definitely the school which has the better reputation for MT.

For those of you who are interested in educating yourselves about this process, I'll again post this link to the most informative site for MT college applications, information, and auditions.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/forumdisplay.php?f=501

It is a series of discussions on every possible aspect of the process, with very knowledgeable students, parents, admissions officers, professionals in the business, and graduates.

Posted by StephanietheStar 2005-06-15 15:23:35

I go to Rockford College in Rockford Illinois. If you're looking for personal attention you'll DEFINETLY get it! we have only about 10 people in the MT deptartment, and we have one of the best vocal coaches I think anyone could ever have (I've seen incredible improvements soooo quickly!), and everyone on the staff is so fantastic. We have some great dance teachers, but I'd say that area is slightly lacking in our school, It's less intense then you would get at other schools. But they're still great. I love my school. It's awesome.

And we desparetly NEED guys, so come on down guys you'll be guaranteed roles! our school does really good musicals and plays, ones that haven't been done to death. My first year(this past year) we did Ruthless! (the musical), an Original play written by a faculty member called THe Pick Up, Angels in American part 1, and Smoke on the Mountain (musical). In addition you can direct, produce, mount your own play, whether you have written it or not, you cast it, get a small budget, etc. Those are called 3 pennies (you charge 3 pennies for admission or a donation). So in total we do about 8 shows a year. :) The theatre depts also take 3 trips a semester to shows, we recently saw Sweet Charity (pre-bway), I am My Own Wife (w/ Jeff Mays), Sunset Boulevard, and Finishing the Picture (Arthur Miller's last play) we had good seats and you don't pay for them, it's in the tuition.

and Heather Headley's voice coach is coming to work with the voice students 1st semester this fall. Thwyla Tharp will be speaking 2nd semester.

and second semester we're doing Urinetown....:)

don't you wanna come now? lol

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 15:28:50

erin - nope, once again, definitely not confusing the two. I had actually never heard of OCU until very recently when I was reading some stuff online. I've come to learn that OCU seems to good in voice, but when you want to talk about acting and musical theatre, it's definitely OU.

http://www.ou.edu/finearts/musicaltheatre/

http://www.ou.edu/finearts/drama/

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-06-15 15:34:21

brad, not to belabor the point. I'm aware that OU has a program but it certainly does not have the reputation that OCU's does. That's all I'm saying. You may not have heard of OCU until recently but it's very well known in the 'biz' as being one of the top programs. OU may have a very fine program but it's not considered in the same group as OCU and others.

Posted by marincrazy11 2005-06-15 17:13:27

Marsha Bagwell is great!!!! Some friends and I attended a workshop she was teaching at the Region 3 American College Theatre Festival this past January. She did some really amazing things with great kids. She pulled more out of them than I ever thought they could give. Just fantastic!!!!

Posted by Broadway_freak 2005-06-15 17:33:46

U of M
AMDA
CMU
Shanendoah (?)
Florida State has a good program from what I hear.
Tisch
NYU
Northwestern
Boston Conservatory
Syracuse

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-15 17:52:51

NCSA is a wonderful school. One of the top in the country but there is indeed no musical theatre program and little experience to venture into musical theatre. I certainly have no clue to whom you people have been talking to but Elon pretty much sucks but then again I went to AMDA, so I can't say anything about going to a ****ty school. We didn't call it ScAMDA for nothing. If I could go back and do it all over again I would have gone to Boston Conservatory but that is neither here nor there.

Do you wanna be a big fish in a little pond or a small fish in a big pond? What you have to do is figure out what it is you need to make you a better performer. Look at different schools and do as much research on each one as you can before you make up your mind. You may not find a school that is going to give you all that you want or need. I found my best musical theatre education came from me taking classes around the city and living at the library at Lincoln Centre doing research on my own. Don't go somewhere just because of the hype. Go there because it is what is best for you.

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-15 17:57:23

I love reading these threads. It's great that so many people have a passions for a school. But unfortunately there's always some misinformation.

You gave me a great laugh, briarbrad when you said that University of Oklahoma has one of the best MT program. You also represented further lack of credibility when you said you had never heard of Oklahoma City Univesity or other universities. So I assume you are a student there. OU does not have the capability or the excellence of teaching staff to even come near Oklahoma City University. As an industry professional, I know the kind of excellent training that OCU provides. OU has never even help to develop someone of a Chenoweth or O'Hara. If you are indeed at student at OU, I recommend you look elsehwere if you are truly interested in working in this industry.

And thanks for providing a link for us to see the grandure that is University of Oklahoma. After reviewing your "beautiful" web site, I loved seeing that your graduates have all secured work on crusie ships. And it seems the last time any of them worked was 2003.

For those of you who'd like to see what a real music school web site looks like, click here: http://www.okcu.edu/music/index.asp

My other MT suggestions:

U of Michigan currently the top school
CCM if you can put up with the attitude
Boston Conservatory

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-15 18:00:45

Mr. Tuttle, I simply adore your avatar. That was one of the best moments during the Tony's this past year!

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-15 18:02:17

Thank you..I'm trying to sex up BWW

Posted by itstheM 2005-06-15 18:12:07

My friend at Boston Conservatory says it's a great school, but the facilities are small and not that great. Syracuse has a connection with an equity theater and there is an opportunity to gain equity points in college. Michigan, Carnegie, and Ithaca have great alumni connections. There are lots of good schools, but it is mostly what you take from it.

Posted by jillian2 2005-06-15 18:18:39

My uncle taught at Syracuse back in the day, and he had Taye Diggs in one of his classes (and he said he was one of the sweetest guys ever and extremely talented) If you don't mind upstate NY, Ithaca and SU are so good.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 18:23:52

Mr Tuttle, I definitely do not go to OU. My school is Carnegie.

"You also represented further lack of credibility when you said you had never heard of Oklahoma City Univesity or other universities."

Other universities? What other universities did I say I hadn't heard of?

Sorry if I've overly hyped an underperforming MT school, Mr. Tuttle.

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-15 19:14:11

Thanks, briar.

Although I do find it odd that a non student would go posting links to other schools.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 19:16:24

Just trying to provide examples of what the original poster asked for.

Posted by Liz_Bennet 2005-06-15 19:44:41

Eliza0114- I'm not sure how attending Ithaca would be getting out of a small town. I'm from Ithaca, and I can assure you that it's a small town. A very nice small town with a good theater scene. But a small town. I went to high school in Syracuse, which is a medium size but not very exciting city. However, Syracuse University's productions are generally excellent. So are Ithaca's for that matter. But don't come for the culture in Syracuse, because there ain't very much off campus. In Ithaca, there is stuff, but it's likely to resemble off-off-Broadway.

Posted by PleaseChangeMe 2005-06-15 19:50:06

Thanks for answering my question! BTW, are there any other quality performing arts colleges in NYC?

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 19:55:28

NYU is probably gonna be regarded as the top drama school in NYC. (Columbia has a great GRADUATE program, though). I've heard that Marymount Manhattan has a good program, as well. Can anyone speak on the quality of Hunter College or Hofstra? I've heard of people going to these schools for drama/musical theatre, but I'm not very familiar with them. Also -- Fordham @ Lincoln Center.

Posted by RustyRocketteBoy 2005-06-15 20:17:54

NCSA is great, i just graduated form there. There is no musical theater major, but the acting program has deep roots in musical theater. part of the auditon is singing. The program is like majoring in drama and minoring in musical theater.

Posted by BwayLeadman 2005-06-15 20:24:59

What about schools under the CUNY/SUNY system?

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-15 20:43:03

SUNY Purchase has a really great acting program (probably Top 5 in the country), but they have no musical theatre program, per se. I would assume that an acting major could take voice and dance classes, though.

I think Hunter College is a part of the CUNY system...they have some kind of drama program, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-06-15 20:44:45

"I certainly have no clue to whom you people have been talking to but Elon pretty much sucks"

How do you even know this? And why is it getting so much attention if it "sucks?"

Posted by Footlooser 2005-06-15 21:22:28

I would really appreciate any info anyone can give me about Ithica.

Posted by Bwaybaby109 2005-06-15 22:00:14

I go to Shorter College and it has a pretty awesome program with a great reputation. Most of the auditionees at the GA Theatre Conference that succeed to SETC are from Shorter. We're highly recommended by Dave Clemmons. We have many classes in mostly acting, music theory, piano, dance and a musical theatre lit class where we are required to sing a certain amount of bway songs each sem. We take private voice from a very good mainly classically technique vocal staff. We usally sing mostly bway songs in our lessons and a few classical songs. Plus we do 2 musicals a year and freshman have leading role opportunities. We have a great staff and we have many talented people in our department. It's really great so you check it out!
I also think Elon is a pretty good school as well. I've heard great things about it.

Posted by jaso_n 2005-06-16 00:11:09

Has anybody mentioned University of the Arts?

Posted by StephanietheStar 2005-06-16 00:12:12

I still like Rockford College...lol

Posted by actor465 2005-06-16 01:21:03

Footlooser, I'm headed to Ithaca in the fall for MT, so I don't have too much experience-related info about it yet. But I'll definitely tell you about it once I'm up there for a while! What I do know is that everyone I've talked to who goes there absolutely loves it, and they feel like they're getting great training.

Posted by sean2 2005-06-16 13:33:23

I have multiple questions:

My daughter is looking into OCU for their Dance Performance program. Do you know anything about it?

We cannot seam to find any other colleges that offer a Dance Performance program like OCU. Does any one know of any?

She wanted to go to college for musical theater until she saw OCU’s Dance program. She likes both musical theater and Dance. Most schools that offer a dance program focus on ballet and modern. Although she does both she is stronger in Tap and Jazz. She does not want to go into a dance company. Unless it was a tap company. She wants to perform - Broadway, Disney, Cruise line ....

In general would she be better with OCU’s Dance Performance program or a musical theater program?

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-16 13:55:33

Sean2-

My 2 cents. If her aspiration is to just be a dancer, than a dance major would make sense. However, if she is skilled as an actor and singer, as well, then a musical theatre major would make her a more versatile performer. Different MT programs place different amounts of emphasis on the importance of dance, as well, so you'd want to check into the amount and variation of dance classes at different schools. Some schools want their students to have a ton of dance, while others, it seems, look at dance as 'icing on the cake,' while singing and acting are considered the most important aspects. So since dance is such an important skill that your daughter wants to pursue, you'd want to make sure that her school is one that offers alot of dance.

Posted by show2n2 2005-06-16 16:25:07

OCU(*thanks Mr. Tuttle) Alums - Just read some of the posts about OKCU Alumni ~ Here are some that I could think of:

Kristin Chenoweth, Kelli O'Hara, Lara Teeter, Teri Bibb, Julie Hansen, John Sawyer, Ron Raines, Roy Bean, Jonathan Beck Reed, Nathan Peck, Brad Musgrove, Stacey Logan, Allyson Turner,Dan Webb. There may be more working on Bdwy now, but that's all I could think of at the moment.

The Music School and Dance Depts. are gr8 as most of the other schools that were mentioned. But go visit the campuses, sit in on some classes, talk to voice, acting, and dance teachers. See which one fits you best. Best of Luck.

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-16 17:13:56

"I certainly have no clue to whom you people have been talking to but Elon pretty much sucks"

How do you even know this? And why is it getting so much attention if it "sucks?"

I know this because I know three people who attended Elon and all three left to go to a more desirable school. Sure, Elon is a small school in western NC that offers a Musical Theatre major and that can come across as very appealing to many but do thorough research on it and you will find out that it isn't necessarily a credible school to get a strong musical theatre degree in. I think most people that go there for musical theatre do not pursue a career in it.

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-16 17:52:22

I believe it's OCU..not OKCU.

Posted by winkle 2005-06-16 18:35:55

I've been a lurker here for a long time but I must finally register and respond to your post. Sorry Wonderboy, your assessment of Elon differs with mine. I work for an Equity Theatre which recruits Apprentices and Interns every Season. Elon, which is NOT in Western North Carolina, it is in central North Carolina, is an exemplary program. We see kids from dozens and dozens of programs. We've accepted several Elon kids and year in, year out they are the most prepared, employable, multi-talented kids we see. They also have a great attitude and a well-rounded knowledge of the business. The fact that it is a true music theatre program, in which the kids are required extensive vocal and dance, means that most of the kids who really apply themselves are very ready for the professional world.

I have no personal attachment to the school whatsoever. Also, the vast majority of the Elon kids move on from our program, remain in the business and are frequently employed. It's a solid school. If you know three people who transferred, maybe it just wasn't a good fit OR maybe in all honesty, the competition got to them.

yer pal,
winkle

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-16 18:52:46

Winkle, I totally respect your opinion but your opinion is really no more valuable than my own. It is each persons views and experiences. You are indeed correct, I was wrong about the location of the school as it is NW of the Triangle area. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going to Elon as I have never been there, I can only rely on what the three people I know said about their own experiences. If anyone is seriously looking at a school then they need to do as I said before and do all the research that they can. Find the best program that fits them. On a side note, the three people I know all went on to 'top ranking' musical theatre schools and maintain strong and steady careers. I think it is great that you have had positive experiences with Elon students and my hat goes off to them. Regardless, it still doesn't make the program one of the best in the country.

Posted by winkle 2005-06-16 19:05:15

Fair enough. The phrase, "Elon pretty much sucks" would give me reason to think you have personally investigated the situation. I'm sorry your three friends had a bad experience.

Bottom line, there truly is little on which you can gauge "the best musical theatre schools in the country" because, unfortunately, the volatility of this business oft times assures that some of the best people go unemployed, some of the worst are employed and ultimately... a cross section of Broadway success stories usually have little to do with secondary education.

But I appreciate the civil response. I think it's best to adopt the "if you can't say anything nice" approach, share the positive info we have and realize that usually the negative information is... well, not based on dependable information. Sometimes, it's just too personal.

yer pal,
winkle

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-16 19:08:38

You are indeed correct. I have a tendency for saying what I think no matter what. As I have no personal experience with Elon, I should have refrained from saying anything at all. Thanks very much and I truly appreciate your response. Take care :)

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-16 21:46:21

I love political correctness!

Having worked with a couple Elon grads of the last few years, I can't say that I would recommend their school for a comprehensive program. One couldn't tap..the other was taught screaming=singing.

Posted by soulman83 2005-06-16 23:19:31

Picking schools are all about what you want out of it. I am going to CCPA(Chicago College of Performing Arts) at Roosevelt University. The faculty is awesome, the facilities are awesome, and you are in Chicago which is probably the second best theatre town in America. so lets be reall here! good luck! =)

Posted by winkle 2005-06-16 23:34:29

Mr. Tuttle, maybe it's because all the good ones want to work with us.

yer pal,
winkle

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-16 23:38:07

http://www.geocities.com/musicaltheatercolleges/

Posted by StephanietheStar 2005-06-17 14:34:32

I'm angry at that website Aigoo--they don't mention Rockford College...which is a great school :)

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-17 14:51:58

Winkle..not sure what you mean but..

sure...okkkaaayy.

Posted by Roxie_Hart 2005-06-17 15:42:22

Freeadmission -

I'm at Elon, and while I'm not a music theatre major, I have a TON of friends who are. Our program is PHENOMENAL, but hard to get into. Definitely audition for either the BFA in Music Theatre or BFA Acting. This is a fabulous school.

Posted by freeadmission 2005-06-17 17:56:36

Thanks, Roxie. I was just about to pose a clarifying question on the very topic. I'll definatly start thinking about audition schtuff then. I'm probably going to take my first two years at a considerably cheaper college and transfer in, but your input makes my decision easier. Thanks.

Posted by Roxie_Hart 2005-06-17 18:05:06

No problem! And hey, if you have any questions or want some information on the program, feel free to IM me (ClassicFilmBroad). I'm minoring in it and I work in Academic Advising so... there isn't much I just couldn't tell ya. =)

Posted by Joelbeans 2005-06-17 18:11:05

I wish I would have been into theatre in college like I am now, but looking at all of my voice students, I would try to think of something to fall back on just in case. I have had some of the most talented singers come through my vocal studio, and now that they are in college they aren[t getting anything, and theatre has been all they want to do.....just look at how many out of work actors there are in NYC....sorry to sound like a parent....just llok out for everyone.....

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-17 18:14:44

Which ties in with my philosophy. I'm very unsure if theatre is something I want to do, or something that I can become successful in. So when college auditions come around, I'm only auditioning for those "prestigious" musical theatre colleges (U of M, CMU, CCM, Elon, Northwestern, etc.) and if I have something to offer and apparently show "marketability", I might have a chance. But if I don't, I'll just accept that fact and go on to be some sort of boring engineer or architect or something.

Posted by arishmoof 2005-06-17 18:50:00

has anyone heard of SCAD? its the savannah college of art and design, in savannah georgia (beautiful) its a FANTASTIC SCHOOL (im biased, i go there!) we have a great performing arts program, and the shows we do are phenomenal- im a new yorker and the production of west side story they did this year was broadway quality. and we have production design too (which is my major) so you can get into the design aspects of theater too, a lot of performance majors like to see whats going on behind the scenes. anyway, look it up, its scad.edu definitely worth checking out.

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-17 18:56:18

I think the first thing you need to do is really find out what are the "prestigeous" MT schools are.

Elon..Northwestern...hardly.

Posted by Hairspraydoll 2005-06-18 05:05:16

Are there any great West Coast schools that you could recommend. I am starting to get my future seniors ready for college auditions and many of them prefer to saty close to home (Vegas). I'm a first year teacher and a little out of touch on the major musical theatre colleges.

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-18 18:58:56

UCLA?

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-18 19:09:19

UCLA does not have a BFA program - only a BA in Theatre Studies. USC, however, has a BFA in Acting and a minor in musical theatre. California Institute of the Arts (Valencia) has a BFA Acting program as well. That's really it in terms of BFA programs on the west coast.

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-18 19:14:43

Mr. Tuttle, there aren't really specific prestigious musical theatre colleges, but those, in my opinion, rank most highest. They each have different curriculums and approaches to the field, and they're the ones that appeal the most. I may have been mistaken to label them as prestigious.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-18 19:19:29

There are definitely certain programs that people in the industry would consider prestigious. There are, of course, other very good programs, and you should find a school that is a fit for you, without sacrificing quality of training.

Posted by lyfeisacabaret 2005-06-18 22:19:56

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-18 23:06:10

"I strongly believe that a conservatory is not a great choice. While they provide exemplary training, they lack the opportunities for life-experience of a typical four-year college"

What kind of life-experience are you talking about? Someone studying at a BFA program is going to experience a heck of a lot of personal growth and gain plenty of self-confidence and maturity. I guess the difference is that people in a BFA program probably work harder because their course load and production responsibilities are going to be a lot heavier than liberal arts work loads. So -- I guess what these people are going to lack is a heavy dose of partying and goofing around?? Well, some people don't need that to have a productive college experience and want to be challenged and pushed to work very hard to improve their skills.

Your point about wanting to pursue a BA in theatre in order to double major is a very valid one, and important to think about. Sure, conservatory programs might not be right for YOU, but don't say that someone who enrolls in a conservatory-style program is academically and socially inferior to those who chose the "traditional" college route.

Posted by lyfeisacabaret 2005-06-18 23:12:39

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2005-06-19 00:43:00

According to Michael John LaChiusa, Emerson College (where I go) is building a reputation for the talent it puts out there. I like to think it has a great program, but I'm not yet in it, haha. But Emerson does offer so many performance opportunities for anyone interested in theatre. There are so many acting, singing, dancing, directing, music, backstage, design, film, and TV opportunities for anyone at Emerson. For example, in my first year of college, I was actively involved in at least ten productions. I had a blast. So check it out if you'd like.

~Steven

Posted by crazycrazyasha 2005-06-19 02:27:38

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but some of you have either incredible imaginations or not very honest friends. Wonderboy, Mr. Tuttle, there is no reason to bash Elon's program, when you have not had the privilege to be part of it. I, fortunately, have had that privilege. I am going into my senior year and feel incredibly blessed for every minute I have been able to call myself an Elon music theatre major. I am quite confident that I am getting the best possible training in my field. I have no doubt that next year when I graduate, I will be a working actress. Our professors are so skilled, loving, and encouraging. And, unlike what we've heard from Wonderboy, almost all of the kids graduating from our program stay in the field. Last year, of 16 graduates, 4 went directly onto National Tours, and 9 have worked at regional theatres, 1 is doing film in LA, and I haven't heard from the other 2. I hate to prove you wrong, but I think those results do just that. Already, graduation was just in May, one of our 10 graduating seniors landed the title role in the tour of "Thoroughly Modern Millie." We have so many people working- in regional houses, on tours, on cruise ships, in film, in agencies, and on Broadway... AND there have only been 10 graduating classes!

Elon works EXTREMELY hard at what we do, and we are just starting to get recognized. I am very sorry if you haven't gotten caught up with the times to realize what a prestigous program Elon has developed. I hope you choose to reevaluate what "facts" you bring to the table in forums like these. Not only is it offensive to me (and my classmates) to have something that we treasure so much being slandered, but it's disappointing to hear you haven't had the pleasure that Winkle and I have had to work with Elon students.

Posted by whatyouown223 2005-06-22 13:13:12

University Of The Arts is very good, I'm surprised not many have mentioned it.

Posted by dietcherryemma 2005-06-22 14:07:57

CCM
Boston Conservatory
Emerson
Ithaca
Syracuse
Elon
University of the Arts
Norht Carolina School of the Arts
Otterbein
Webster
University of Miami
Florida State

... but don't limit your choices to schools with BFA's. I disagree with the opinion that classical training is not important- it helps you learn how to belt correctly, and knowing music theory is a must. I'm double-majoring in voice and theatre at a state school, then going on the a M.F.A program. I just think that spending so much money and specializing right off is the wrong choice for me.

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-22 14:20:55

Crazycrazyasha, you might want to read the entire thread before making judgments. If you had you would see that I discussed with winkle that I was stating my opinion on what I have heard and experienced. No, I have never been to Elon so, I have no first hand experience with them. I also apologized for offending anyone if I had. I didn't exactly use the best wording originally but I later corrected myself. So, check yourself babe.

Posted by erikk 2005-06-22 14:26:23

if anyone has any questions about northwestern or the theatre/music theatre programs at northwestern, feel free to PM me or e-mail me or IM me or whatever...i just finished my sophomore year at NU and i just got into the music theatre certificate program this past spring

word

-erik

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-22 14:26:59

Don't apologize for your opinion. That is your right. Just cause some whiney person doesn't like YOUR opinion, that's not an issue.

Opinions here are based on fact. If one can not accept the fact, that's THEIR fault.

Posted by JasonM12480 2005-06-22 14:27:02

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Shenandoah Conservatory in tiny Winchester, Virginia. Now, A) I guess I'm byast, as I went there, so I know first hand about the program. It is not without its flaws, but as with ANY program, big or small, you get out of it what you decide to put in. So many people seem to think that you must go to a "well-known" school, or a school with a name. Ok - you're spending thousands of dollars for a great education. You can get the same great education anywhere.

Several people who have come out of Shenandoah, while not necessarily Broadway stars, but people who are constantly WORKING (very important) include: Kathy Voytko (currently playing Evita in the national tour; was also in "The Frogs" with Nathan Lane, "Nine" with Antonio Bandaras, and 2 tours of "Phantom of the Opera" as Christine); Jason Wooten (understudied and went on for Ren in original cast of "Footloose"; one of the leads in the premiere workshop of "We Will Rock You", the Queen musical); Anthony Wayne Green (in the current European production of "Fame", as well as dance captain for the national tour of "Smokey Joe's Cafe"); the current director of the music theatre program is Lara Teeter, who was a Tony-nominee for "On Your Toes" back in the 1980's; plus, Shenandoah has a 85-92% "working rate" of actors who work in the business in some aspect. That is very important.

Some people think that you are only working and doing good work if you're in a Broadway musical. That's pure nonsense. I, myself, have been out of school for almost 2 years, and am currently working on my 11th show. I know people in my class who went right to New York, and are working office jobs, and barely making it, and haven't performed since. It's all about YOU, and what YOU want out of your career. Yes, talent and connections have a lot to do with it. I will say that the connections part at Shenandoah is not what it should be - at least it wasn't when I was there; I have no idea how it is now. Often times, many students would stay to do SSMT (Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre), the Shenandoah Valley's only summer stock professional music theatre program. The productions are AMAZING, and so good - many of the leads are hired Equity actors, and the students get to work with these people one on one, and build those connections in that sense.

My freshman year, Harold Herman, the director of the program at the time (now retired after 31 esteemed years), brought a world-premiere workshop of the musical "Playground" to Shenandoah - guess who it starred in the title role of Mr. Toad? Evan Pappas, of "My Favorite Year" and "Parade" fame. I had lunch with the man daily - it was an amazing experience! Now the show bombed, and never made it to a New York tryout, but it was still the experience of having that kind of opportunity that made it all worth it.

I enjoyed my time at Shenandoah. You get invividual attention - it's a small school (2,500 students TOTAL), a beautiful campus, excellent teachers who know the business, and many whom work themselves in their selected careers (many of the voice teachers sing at the Metropolitin Opera in New York, or have illustrious careers overseas in Europe (Kathryn Green, mezzo soprano, known for "opera buffa" in Germany!).

So, if you want Julliard or NYU, or Boston Conservatory - go there. Be in debt your whole life (goodness knows I am!)...but if you really want a small school to work on yourself, and concentrate hard on your skills - give Shenandoah a try. I promise you won't be too dissapointed!

www.su.edu

Posted by WonderBoy 2005-06-22 14:36:01

Mr. Tuttle, I agree. Like I said, it's just my opinion and nothing else.

JasonM12480, I have heard very positive things about Shenandoah. I know a couple people who went there and said that they had very pleasant experiences and that they learned a lot.

Posted by JGym 2005-06-22 14:37:51

I went to Emerson College and I LOVED IT!!! I was a theater major (non-musical) but I did participate in what they call "mini-musicals" where musical theater majors took a bat at directing. Not only did I enjoy my classes, teachers and students, but living in the heart of Boston was so much fun. My dorm was right by a bunch of theaters and there was just always something to see or be involved in. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Theater/Media Arts.

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-22 14:38:46

Jason, you posted this exact post, word-for-word, on College Confidential.

Do they teach writing at Shennadoah? Can't you bother to actually write something instead of plagiarize yourself.

Posted by JasonM12480 2005-06-22 15:58:05

I guess it is a shock when someone can actually write well, use correct grammar, and state their thoughts intelligently. Perhaps that is why you feel I copied something and posted it here. But I swear to you that I wrote from the heart, and every world came out of my mind - not out of something already published. Forgive my intelligence! I shall not let it happen again!

Posted by minimel8817 2005-06-22 19:10:03

U Arts is supposed to be great and my friend goes to Emerson in Mass. (near Boston) and he said they have an amazing theatre program with many different majors.

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-22 19:42:53

Emerson is supposedly a great school...on'y about 4% if applicants get in.

NYU Tish, Despite The program has a more Conservatory feel (or so my Tish Friends say)

AMDA...Now I'm going to this school come fall, but I too have heard Mixed things. I know alot of people from this school, and most of them LOVE IT, but they say it's ALOT of work..and if you even slack off a bit you wont get anything out of this program. Recently it has changed...Students who go there now say that the SCAMDA thing has either changed or was just a matter of oppinion. I also talk to some "people" (Working actors, casting directors) Amda does NOT have a bad reputation in New York. In Fact many of those "People" think AMDA is a good school. Trust me, I wouldn't waste my time...I'm serious about my work.

But the truth of the matter is...Everything is a matter of OPPINION. You can't really judge that way...I would look at turn out, costs, location, programms, and percentage of applicants accepted. AMDA has a 40% acceptance rate. And NYU is some where is the 20's because SAT's SAT 2's and ACTs and academic grades are requiered for acceptance.

Good luck)

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-06-22 19:51:24

Emmerson has had some big problems lately. Last year they had to get a new department head. Certainly not one of the "leading" MT programs.

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-22 20:01:17

I should tell that my friend who is going to try out there next year.

But My firends who auditioned for Emerson didn't get in, and they were good so I thought it would a better school than that, thanks for the information.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-22 21:03:10

Hey Bwaybettini - congrats on UArts. Was just wondering if you'd share why you chose UArts over other BFA programs (if any) you got it into. Thanks.

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-22 21:13:21

I ultimatly chose AMDA over NYU and other 4 years becuase of a personal situation with Academics. i'm one of those all or nothing people, I tend to unintentually slack off in things I know I can't do (Like math for instance) I knew that if I went to a 4 year I would have to take a form of Mathmatics and I would most likely fail, and I wouldn't be able to concentrate fully on Theater. I'm horrible at things like math and science so I wanted to steer clear of things I didn't need and put all my focus on Theater (Things I love, and I know I will never give up doing.) So it depends on what type of person you are. And do you believe enough in yourself to devote to one subject and forget about a backup plan.

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2005-06-22 23:10:24

Emerson as a school has been going through a lot, but I don't think the theatre department has been too affected. I mean of course it has been affected, but the faculty and students are great. I've worked with the new department head and he seems fine. He's a lot of fun and he puts out great work. He's still new, but he seems to fit right in. I don't think Emerson's political problems should keep people away from it. The show must go on, after all.

~Steven

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-22 23:13:44

unintentually

::giggles::

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-22 23:37:33

oops hahaha

I suck at typing!

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-22 23:40:39

It sounds like a "Wicked" word.

Posted by BwayLeadman 2005-06-22 23:42:21

Its funny that for most schools you have to go to a small town to study Musical Theater...

That's one problem Im having...
I want to go study Musical Theatre (for most part away)
but I want to stay in NYC.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-06-22 23:46:32

Well in NYC, you've got:

NYU
Marymount Manhattan
Hunter College
Hofstra (Long Island)

But ya, you're right...it's strange that there's only four schools in NYC that offer MT, with only one of which being a really notable program (NYU). But, if you want to stay in a large, urban city, that's still very possible outside of NY!! Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago...

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-22 23:52:00

Then your going to want to go to NYU Tish or AMDA which are both in Manhattan.

Posted by NYUstud 2005-06-23 00:00:46

Well as you all know I'm a proud student of the MT program at Steinhardt at NYU! If anyone has any questions please PM me!

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2005-06-23 00:17:40

Emerson is in the heart of Boston's Theatre District. Three of the four major Boston theatres are a block or less from my dorm and Emerson's campus. It's a real plus for going to the college. You truly are immersed in theatre at Emerson.

~Steven

Posted by IveGottaBeME 2005-06-25 15:24:27

uarts is in the theater district of philly.. like a mini nyc

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-06-26 21:33:31

nyustud, I was just going to post about Steinhardt's program but you beat me to it. Steinhardt's MT program is a great one with lots of talented students. :)

broadwaybettini2, it's TisCh, not Tish. :) If you got into NYU and decided not to go because you thought you'd have to take math, you made the wrong decision. You don't have to take math, if you don't want to, at Tisch. I don't know where you got that idea!

There are many excellent MT programs in cities: Tisch, Steinhardt, Emerson, BoCo, Syracuse, CMU, UArts, CCM just to name a few.

Posted by BroadwayBettini2 2005-06-26 23:20:30

No, I declined to try out for Tish, because admittance was based 50% on academics and Sat's. My math scores have dranged me down my entire life. I didn't want me to drag me down any more.

I know it's spelled that way, I'm just a bad at typing.

Posted by dory the nun 2005-06-27 03:34:21

Just because it shouldnt go unsaid---

none of this really matters in the end.
what i think (and who am i.. right? but i am going into my senior year successfully in my Musical Theater BFA... so maybe i know something... maybe not..)

what i think- is that you need to decide what is really important to you and study that to its fullest. certain schools focus on different pieces of the pie to differing degrees... do you want to be a singer who can read lines... or an actor who sings... or a singing dancer.. or an acting dancer.. you want to order the three in your priorities and make sure that the schools you select to apply to hold the same standards.

and i'm telling you- from here to the moon- the name only impresses people who would be impressed by only a name. but again if you want to go to a big name school just to say i went to so and so school- then go there. but know that there are lesser known universities with phenominal programs out there. and when performers have the training they need- they won't need a name.

and know what role you'd like to fulfill as a grown artist and performer... different schools prepare students for differing careers... a chorus line position... a leading lady... a dancing sensation... you know?

and visit each school because you have to live there and be passionately in love with your experience.. you may never know till you see a place if you will flourish there. and THAT is the important thing. you must mesh with the program.

that- is what i have to say.

that aside-- just because i have had a phenominal first three years- i put it out there:

UArts in Philadelphia has a very quickly growing phenominal program for musical theater. They select around 25 students each year (though I think it was more like 22, 20 this past year) but that number dwindles- my senior class in the fall has 12 people.
You study Meisner with some of the top NY Meisner teachers... but they also integrate a myriad of other methods into your freshman and senior acting studios. The teach in depth Shakespeare, 4 years of Singing Acting training, Cabaret, voice lessons... yadda yadda...

Its a truly solid program in my humble opinion. I'd just like to put it out there for consideration.
If you have any questions- my email address is Storygoeson @ yahoo.com and my AIM is Dorythenun. i'd be more than happy to field questions.

and for anyone looking UArts does offer a pre-college intensive summer program in acting or musical theater that is quite wonderful. I know many other places offer them too- so you may want to shop around... but I'm working my second summer as a teacher's assistant for this program and i can say its pretty wonderful...

just another option to help get a feel for certain colleges...

best of luck to you.
this is a hard time and a hard thing to figure out--- but just keep auditioning and the right thing will fall into your lap.
i promise.

sincerely
kati

re: Candian Musical Theater Schools
Posted by Sassypants77 2005-06-27 04:12:33

Well I'm Canadian, and for anyone else who is interested in great Canadian Universities or Colleges with emphasis on fine arts, I have some great info!
Sheridan is quite a good option, and as has been said, you can apparently combine your fine arts certificate from there (it's primarily a trade school) with a programs from the awesome University of Toronto, to earn a degree.
Another newer college that is gaining popularity and prestige immensly quickly is the Canadian College of Performing Arts, which is located in Victoria BC. I have some friends who attended, and were so grateful for the opportunity, and learned an incredible amount of very useful information and training from the program. It has become even with Sheridan in terms of popularity lately, and has even had to add on a third year to keep up with student demand. They go through rigerous classes in dance (ballet, tap, jazz etc) music theory, audition processes, finance lessons, career management, drama, both classical and belt technique, and a bridge class, with is basically throwing it all together. Unlike Sheridon, which is also a technical college, this is strictly a musical theatre school. It has a 99% employment rate, and is growing rapidly by th year. I highly recommend it if a good start in musical theatre in Canada is what you're after.
Concordia University also has a wonderful fine arts department, and is located in Montreal.
The two top rated MUSICAL Universities in Canada, with an emphasis on classical voice and performance, are definately the University of Toronto, and the University of British Columbia, which is located in Vancouver. UBC is reknowned throughout Canada for their music program, and it certainly helps for casting calls, to be located in "Hollywood North."
Hope I could be of some help!!

Posted by Aigoo 2005-06-27 04:21:41

Wow, Dory, thanks. That really gave me some insight on things.

Posted by freeadmission 2005-06-27 08:48:04

crazycrazyasha - I'm glad you're having such a great experience at Elon. It gives me hope. LOL Two questions:
1) Do you have a professor by the first name of Richard (can't for the life of me remember his last)? I think he teaches voice, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he was in Centennial's production of A Grand Night For Singing last month. Love him dearly. He did one the of best performances of "Honey Bun" I've ever seen.
2) Is the music theatre program at Elon such that I can commute? I live about an hour away and commuting would save me a great deal of money if it were possible with the class/performance load. Thanks.

lyfeisacabaret - I completely agree with you on the liberal arts bit. Knowing a little (or even more than a little) about everything can certainly help with any roles an actor may get in the future. That's why I'm taking my first two years at a school that specializes in liberal arts education, only offering two degrees, an AA and a BA in Liberal Arts. From there I hope to transfer to Elon for a solid music theatre education.

Words of Wisdom
Posted by Yankeeboy 2005-06-29 02:56:48

Entering my senior year at an incredible BFA Musical Theater program, allow me to bestow some words of wisdom to those in need.

As students, we've had this same discussion many many times, and it is consistently agreed upon that the best schools for a BFA in musical theater are, in no meaningful order:

Boston Conservatory
Carnegie Mellon
Cincinatti Conservatory of Music (CCM)
Michigan
Northwestern
University of the Arts

It is evident from reading this thread that there is so much time and energy wasted on the idea of going to a "name" school. And believe me, I understand its allure. It is simply not necessary, though. The best thing you can do right now is research and visit these schools, and also GET YOURSELF READY TO AUDITION. It won't matter where you apply if you've blown these precious months agonizing over which school will look better on a resume. Trust me - nobody cares. When certain school reach such a godly status in one's mind, they can do little but disappoint when fully experienced. You shouldn't worry about what the school's name can do for you, you should think about what you are bringing to the table can do for the school's name.

It's important to keep in mind that no school is without its faults. Certain frustrations many people have had with some of the programs I mentioned include blatant favoritism, disorganization on an administrative level, cut systems, physical qualifications ("you're too fat", etc), and a cookie-cutter mentality of asking each student to fit a certain mold. That all being said, these programs, some old and established (as CCM and CMU) and some extremely green (as UArts), continue to produce talented individuals and have proven themselves exciting and vibrant talent pools that are most definitely places to consider when applying. THESE are the hotspots.

I, like DorytheNun, am entering my senior year at UArts. This school is enduring a period of rapid growth, and in the past three years even, I've seen it change and develop much for the positive. UArts, like CMU, is an acting based program. If your dreams put you in the company of a national tour or in the tapping chorus of 42nd St (which is fabulous, and something I will never be able to do), look into CCM or Boston - they WILL get you that work, undoubtedly.

Perhaps UArts' greatest strength is its focus on the individual. Where other schools rely on a cookie-cutter mentality (as that IS the nature of the work sometimes), UArts puts a strong emphasis on self-reflection and discovery. It is their thinking that if you are able to develop your individuality, it will make you a much more dynamic and exciting and UNIQUE performer down the road. Looking around my senior class of 12 and even the entire program here, we cover nearly about every conceivable "type" in the dramatic canon: character actors, leading men and women, song and dance types, and beyond. The program is a synthesis of a conservatory and a liberal arts college, if that is something you're concerned about. As the name of the institution suggests, this is a school that understands the ART of theater, and ESPECIALLY musical theater. This is important, as art frequently escapes the medium today amid jukebox musicals and the rest of the crap that's beind produced.

People frequently know so little about UArts because, well, our publicity sucks. Most of what people know about us is by word of mouth. Talk to professionals though, and the name IS getting out there. Both Hunter and Sutton Foster, among many other credible sources, have been quoted as saying our program has a lot to offer, and Sutton even spoke here last year. Also, Philly is a GREAT city for regional theater, and it is close enough to NYC and DC for travelling. It really is a lot like a mini-NYC, only very friendly, very safe, and very very manageable. Between the rest of the University as well as residing on the Avenue of the Arts, students are immersed in an artistic environment that really facilitates excitement and inspiration throughout your time here.

If you have any questions about the program or the audition process or anything else, feel free to AIM me at Superben444 or email me at BlueMinstrel1 @ yahoo.com.

-Ben

Here are just some parting words of advice that someone told me when I was looking at MT programs that I've never forgotten, because it's so so true:

If you are going to a BFA MT program worth its salt, EVERYONE will have been the lead in their high school musicals. You're not special anymore because you can sing, dance, or act. Be prepared, it's a tough pill to swallow.

(in general)
Posted by Theater_Maniac07 2005-07-06 21:52:48

I live in Atlanta. Does anyone know of any good schools with music theatre programs in Georgia or the "deep" South.

(in general)
Posted by stagebeauty 2005-07-06 22:11:41

the colleges that im applying to are...

University of the Arts
Ithaca
Marymount manhattan
Shenandoah
University of Southern Colorado
American

they all have GREAT MT departments

(in general)
Posted by brdwaybaby17 2005-07-06 22:15:09

Hey, my sister went to American! She told me not to apply there... lol Granted she loved it... but... she said that the MT wasn't that great... maybe she's just an idiot!

Because I want to say it....
Posted by CJWesselman 2005-07-06 22:15:59

...doesn't mean I should, but I will anyway. lol. I go to Northern Kentucky University which is 3 miles south of Cincinnati and therefor, CCM. I don't call our school the best, I try and stay away from pushing it on anyone, I have no intention of getting it world-reknowned, I simply say this to try and make a point. We've been making consistant improvements in our musical theatre program and often recieve reviews for our shows that are just as good as CCM's and are often praised for our improvements. If you've got that ambition and determination, but find yourself unable to make it into/at the Big schools, don't give up! Work your way towards that goal because by starting out at someplace else, because you never know what you'll find at some 'rink-a-dink hole in the wall.' I wanted to go to CCM all throughout high school, but I'd never cut it there, it's just not right for me, but NKU has provided an education I'll cherish forever (and not to mention at a very afordable price! lol). I'm not comparing us to CCM or UofM or anyplace else, I'm just saying we're working hard, so don't disregard schools like NKU, they'll help you get there too.

Posted by Blair 2005-07-06 22:26:13

A few weeks ago, I was all for getting a bachelor's degree in Musical Theatre. I was planning to go to U of M, or NYU, or any other prestigious school. Then I had a really informative conversation with my new voice teacher. She has had many successful students go on to professional careers. One being Angela Brown, most recently Aida at the Met.

She told me that it is better to get a bachelor's in either Vocal Performance or Theatre. And then if you want, you can get a master's in Musical Theatre.

With Musical Theatre, you get all the training in each area: acting, singing, and dance. You are good at everything, but you never get enough training in each to truly be great at any of them.

At first, I just didn't really believe that. I thought, well there are plenty of successful people who have a bachelor's in Musical Theatre. But then I looked at some of the best musical theatre performers out there's backgrounds.

Victoria Clark - Music (Yale)
Norbert Leo Butz - MFA Acting (Alabama Shakespeare Festival)
Kelli O'Hara - BM Vocal Performance (OCU)
Sara Ramirez - Acting (Juilliard)
Audra McDonald - Vocal Performance (Juilliard)
Kristin Chenoweth - MFA Opera Performance (OCU)
Idina Menzel - BFA Acting (NYU)
Raul Esparza - BFA Acting (NYU)
Marc Kudisch – BFA Theatre (Florida Atlantic University)
Jeffrey Carlson – BFA Acting (UCDavis) Graduate Acting (Juilliard)

Those are just a few.

Specializing first can lead to so many more career opportunites, and it's a better chance for success. Musical Theatre programs often so specially breed their students for that area that they are good performers all together, but their acting wouldn't be able to carry a straight play, and vocally they would never be asked to do say, a POPS concert.

My plan? Bachelor’s in Vocal Performance, Master’s in Musical Theatre. Try to develop a steady career and if that doesn’t happen in say 10 years, get a Doctorate and teach.

I'm not in any way trying to tell you that that's the only way to go, but it's just something to think about...

Posted by Aigoo 2005-07-06 22:34:33

Blair, I completely understand where you're coming from. And it's a great plan, and it may still be an early decision for me, but I feel like I can benefit so much from a general BFA program, but I'll probably put a more emphasis on singing or acting. I would still want that training in all three areas, however, I'd want a slight emphasis on either singing or acting, so I'm not restricted to just a specific type of media, but I think just being trained at an earlier time gives you flexibility as a performer.

Posted by CJWesselman 2005-07-06 22:35:36

It is very true that just because someone doesn't have their degree in something, like Musical Theatre, it doesn't mean they can't do it and become very successful, they can! But I think it's all about work ethic. If you're a musical theatre major and worry that you aren't getting enough training in one particular area, work at it! The schools can only teach you so much, a lot of work is what you do on your own! Not that I'm calling you lazy or anyone lazy or anything, lol, but you get out of any degree only what you want to get out of it. That being said, I need to start working on a lot of stuff!

Posted by Aigoo 2005-07-06 22:37:36

CJ, I just ran into your post. Line breaks are your friend. :) Especially in your signature.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-07-06 22:41:11

I respectfully disagree with you when you say "With Musical Theatre, you get all the training in each area: acting, singing, and dance. You are good at everything, but you never get enough training in each to truly be great at any of them." There are plenty of people who go through BFA Musical Theatre programs and are GREAT at all three things. To say that because you study voice, acting, and dance that you are spread too thin is rather foolish. Some of the very top MT programs aren't gonna let you in their doors unless you show potential as an actor. Others focus more on song and dance. It depends. Getting a BM in Vocal Performance could, in fact, LIMIT opportunities. You are not gonna get the acting training that you would in a BFA program. And if you can get into one, it makes more sense to get a BFA in MT at a top program than getting a BFA in Acting at an equally top or lesser program because MT training will make you that much more versatile!

Idina got a BFA in Drama/Musical Theatre from CAP21 at Tisch - not Acting.

Also, there are VERY, VERY few Masters programs in Musical Theatre - you could probably count them on one hand. BoCo has one, and one or two of the Florida schools do too.

Posted by Blair 2005-07-06 23:09:37

I'm not at all trying to say that graduates from musical theatre programs are of a lesser quality. Maybe I worded things wrong. You can most definitely become a great performer with a musical theatre degree, but I do believe that you won't get that intense vocal or acting training within the college, that you would get if you exclusively trained in one or the other first. You will always get those people who work so very hard with other teachers or on their own, and do become great. But the program by it's self isn't going to do that for them, in my opinion.

You can get a BFA in VP/Acting, and then say go to NYU for musical theatre as a graduate student. By many accounts, NYU's grad programs are actually regarded better than their BFA programs.

This gives you more guidance in becoming "great", rather than doing all that vocal and acting work on your own. And you can always get great acting and voice classes outside the university while you are specializing.

And then you have those special cases like Audra McDonald, who's never had an acting class in her life, and is one of the best.

It all really depends on the kind of person you are. Would you rather have a whole lot of guidance from universities, or just do things on your own?

This route works better for me, but others might not like it as much. And that's completely fine, you can do whatever you would like, but like I said, this is just another option...

Posted by briarbrad 2005-07-06 23:19:29

Unless they're hiding it under the Union Square subway station, I don't think NYU has a graduate program in Musical Theatre. (They have one of the top graduate acting programs, though.)

And, just trying to be helpful and shed some light on the college search process for you...you will get intense vocal and acting training at most top MT programs. At alot of the best programs, Musical Theatre is somewhat of a double major - that is to say, you are getting the exact same acting training as the acting majors, and the same training as the vocal performance majors. You're just doing 2x the work! I know this is true at Carnegie, and I'm pretty sure it could be said about Michigan, CCM, etc.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-07-06 23:19:35

Oops, sorry for the double post!

Posted by Aigoo 2005-07-06 23:24:02

How is NYU's undergraduate programs? I've heard..mixed things. I'm particularly looking at Steinhardt, but I hear that it's not really worth how much you have to pay.

Posted by Blair 2005-07-06 23:28:32

NYU has a Graduate Musical Theatre program at Steinhardt.

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it. I think that most of what I'm saying is coming from my voice teacher, and I may or may not follow her advice. I like that you disagree, haha. I have 2 very strong opinions here, and I still have a while to really choose.

Posted by briarbrad 2005-07-06 23:29:41

I'm definitely much more familiar with the Tisch programs than with Steinhardt. My main problems with the school -Tish in particular - (and one of the reasons why I chose to turn down their offer of admission) is price and number of students. They are known to not be very generous with financial or merit aid. They accept 300 students every year, and so, every year, there are 300 more NYU BFA's entering the field. It's my opinion that because of this, a degree from NYU doesn't hold as much prestige or merit (something important to me, but maybe not to others) as other schools. I'm convinced that the training is just as good as the other top-tier schools, but there aren't the extra "perks" to the degree that would have made it worth it to me.

Oh - and only 50% of coursework is in your major. (Compare to 95% at Carnegie, Juilliard). This appeals to some, and it is a turn-off to others.

Posted by cudramacat 2005-07-06 23:57:31

I am a Theatre major and music minor and after college I am hoping to move to New York. I really want to get into muscial theatre, besides NYU, what are some other good graduate programs or even just training programs in New York? or anywhere else but especially NYC?

Posted by dory the nun 2005-07-07 16:57:14

just a general response to the idea about undergrad in mt versus acting or voice-

its absolutely true what someone said earlier about a double major- you actually ARE getting all of the same training as the acting majors and voice majors and at my school (UArts) you can even take dance major dance classes if you get into them.

the truth is that there's more to musical theatre than just learning to act and sing. if that were it they wouldnt have musical theater prorgams- you could just major/minor or literally double major. a big difference in musical theater training is that you take musical theater classes.

for example- not just studio class for acting and voice lessons- we take singing-acting classes as well for both technique and styles (from gilbert & sullivan to brecht to vaudeville etc). I also study musical theater repertory in a separate studio class (taught by the same teacher who teaches some of the acting major studios) where we do style and scene study in the musical theater repertory... which is important if that's the medium in which you'd like to work.

musicals are in essence different than plays and also different than operas (where acting is for the most part not considered or if it is they take into consideration the specific acting style of opera)... so therefore if you want to work in them- study musical theater. it only makes sense.

you get to take electives at many colleges-- so take extra voice and piano lessons, or study specific studios or take advanced dance classes...

and no one says you cant study outside of school as well. if its not intense enough for your liking- pack your weekends.

any questions about the process or about UArts specifically - feel free to IM me at dorythenun.

thanks

Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-07-07 17:12:16

As a musical theater major at Ithaca College, I have to say that I think Ithaca has one of the best programs out there. At IC all of the musical theater majors take the same classes as the acting majors, plus voice lessons and music classes, plus dance classes. It is a very rigorous but rewarding program and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

From scene study to voice and movement to styles of acting to audition techniques to TV acting to musical theater workshops Ithaca is always finding fresh, innovative ways of teaching their students and getting the material across.

So far, the best years of my life were spent in the theater department at Ithaca and I can not wait until the fall to continue honing my craft.

Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-07-08 18:01:23

bump

Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2005-07-08 19:39:54

You bumped this so we can all see, again, what a "great" program Ithica is?

Posted by whatyouown223 2005-07-08 20:07:51

Tuttle- since you seem against so many programs, I'm interested in hearing what you think the best are (excuse me if you already posted, I don't feel like digging).

Posted by TheColorOfFlame 2005-07-08 20:09:52

In conclusion, almost every person to post here has trashed every program but his or her own, which he or she has lavishly lauded.

In other words, go visit the schools, sit in on classes, see which teachers you like best (because really, doesn't it all come down to the faculty whose language you *GET* the most?) and think about how they made you feel at the auditions.

All of the well-known programs will train you well. It's up to you to get the most out of your training, no matter where you go.

Posted by gimmegimmelove 2005-07-08 21:51:28

i was wondering what people knew about marymount manhattan. my friend is going there in the fall and although im only going into 10th grade, I would like to learn more about it. Thanks!
<3 misha

Posted by whatyouown223 2005-07-08 22:40:31

I visited there with my sister last March and I wasn't too impressed. It was way too small for me, but I guess it's good for some people.

Posted by talentseeker 2005-07-08 22:44:29

My assistant told me about this thread and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I work in casting (music theatre mostly) and I see hundreds of talented actors every day. There are many good Music Theatre Programs but the graduates that have been catching our attention and receiving the most work are from...
CCM, Elon University, University of Michigan and Carnegie Mellon.

for what its worth

Posted by korenglish 2005-07-08 23:33:04

I would say either Carnegie Mellon or NYU

Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-07-09 00:00:44

I agree with TheColorofFlame. Just because someone goes to the best school doesn't mean they're going to have the best training. I think it's based on each individual. It depends on YOU and how much you're willing to take out of the program.

And Mr. Tuttle, I have nothing but great things to say about my program at ITHACA but I haven't heard anything great about the program over at ITHICA.

Posted by Theater_Maniac07 2005-07-09 11:40:46

So I suppose that their or NO schools in Georgia, nor the south that have good MT programs. Is it true that you must go up North to go to a good school? Out of state tuition in insane, and there is probably no way I can afford it. So, does that mean that MT is out of the question? I need help...

Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-07-09 15:43:55

I'm not sure about schools in the South for Musical Theater. How about Florida?

Posted by Aigoo 2005-07-12 17:05:30

FSU.

Posted by dancnqn5 2005-07-12 19:44:58

Hairspraydoll - California State University, Fullerton also offers a BFA in Musical Theatre (and they are supposed to be starting a BFA in acting next year). I have biased opinions of their program, but they do (for the most part) know what they are talking about. So that's another option for MT BFA on the West Coast

Posted by Bwaybaby109 2005-09-09 20:09:21

Ok...I know that this post hasnt been updated since...well July. But I have to clarify something.

There IS a good musical theatre school in GA as well as several in the southeast. The best one in GA is Shorter College. We have an awesome department. We do 2 musicals and 2 straight shows a year as well as several 2nd stage shows, including 2 other musicals. This year we are doing Urinetown and Civil War as our 2nd stage, Chorus Line and Cabaret as our main stage. We have won several awards at American College Theatre Festival, going to the finals twice as a matter of fact. We have awesome classes and our department only has 70 students. Our professors know us all well and personally. Plus we have leading role opportunities to freshman as well! And at the GA Theatre Conference, most of the people who get passed on to SETC are from Shorter. So there ya go! GA has a good musical theatre school.

Posted by Unmasked05 2005-09-09 20:59:55

I would say to go where ever you truly think is best for you..if you've got the talent then no matter where you go to school, your talent will tell more about you before where you went to college.

I go to the University of Montevallo in Alabama and I think we have a excellent program in fact alot of colleges here in Alabama have great programs.

Here are a few should check out:

University of Alabama
Birmingham-Southern College
University of Montevallo
Troy University
UAB

Check them out you might find something you like...I came here to UM and fell in-love with it instantly we have the most unique homecoming ever where are school splits into Purple and Gold and each side puts on a musical that is written by and produced by the students and these are not cheap productions either. You should definately check it out.

But where you choose to go is up to you...and if you have the talent it doesnt matter.

Posted by catstagestud 2005-11-08 19:15:20

I attend the University of Arizona in Tucson working toward my BFA in MT. The program here is based through the school of theatre arts and as a MT major I take just as many acting classes as the acting majors; it's exciting to get to do chekov, shakespeare, and comedia. The program is very fun and selective. No more than 12 are accepted into MT and 12 into Acting as freshmen...there are cuts after both freshman and sophomore years but there's no set number of people that will be cut. My entire MT class from last year got acepted for sophomore year.
We get our vocal training through the school of music so we do do classical training for our voices in addition to working on musical theatre music. The dance part of the program is through the school of dance and you take at least one class a semester...ranging from intro stuff to major level dance classes. Good luck with everything.

Cheers,

C.

Posted by AgeABabe 2005-11-08 19:22:57

theres many schools. Marymount Manhattan College has a Musical Theatre program in their theatre department. AAMDA is a good school but i forget if you can get a BFA. there is a college in Massachusetts, but i forget what the name of it is. I heard that the one in MA is really good. Ithaca has a good program too. It all depends on which area you want to be in (East or West). It narrows things down for you. Hope I somewhat helped...

Posted by OrdinaryJukebox1 2005-11-08 19:38:29

Just because Marymount has a program doesn't mean it's any good. I know someone who goes there...actually, I'm not even sure if she was accepted into the program...probably because she sucks...but, I digress...hehe

-Vincent

Posted by BroadwayBaby6 2005-11-08 19:44:57

In terms of making it on Broadway, CCM and Juilliard are both excellent and have great "career placement". CCM has a showcase for agents in NYC and LA which gives it a major edge over 99% of the programs out there.

Posted by ShiningStar 2005-11-08 20:29:15

SCAD was mentioned a few pages back....sorry to offend anyone (the person who mentioned it) but that school is god aweful! They're great when it comes to fashion and design and they have a beautiful campus, but their MT program is not good at all. They put on a show a few years back which was the same as my high school was putting on and our show was much better quality. Given the fact that I go to a performing arts school, still, it's sad when a college can't put on a decent show. When I comes to great MT schools I would def. have to go with CCM, Boston Conservatory, Carnegie Melon, U of M, and so on.

Posted by TheGirlontheSwing 2005-11-08 20:36:41

I've heard that univesity of oklahoma has one of the best programs in the country. Also Boston Conservatory is very good as well but they are very selective.

Posted by tagiunagi 2005-11-08 21:32:26

I do want to keep this all in perspective for you. Just because you'll go to Carnegie Mellon or Northwestern or NYU doesn't mean you're one step above those who may go to Marymount Manhattan or Emerson, for example. You can still achieve whatever level of success in "the biz" that you want, even if you aren't at NYU.

Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-11-08 22:25:01

tagiunagi AMEN! If you're at the greatest program in the world or the worst program in the world, it depends what you take out of it! TRY YOU'RE BEST, PEOPLE!

Posted by IveGottaBeME 2005-11-08 23:53:12

check out UArts in Philly

Posted by LostLeander 2005-11-09 01:52:33

I think there is definately a lot to be said for talent, but as far as reputation, and agents and casting directors trusting schools for the consistent talent that comes out of a particular school, CMU has a AWESOME AWESOME reputation.

They have huge connections, and not to mention WONDERFUL training. It's intense, and expensive, but you will be SO prepared by the time you exit the program, that you will (and an absurdly high percentage do) get work.

Also, casting directors call CMU to ask if they have a certain person that would be good to audition...

There's my two cents.

Posted by tagiunagi 2005-11-09 07:23:27

Just don't freak out if you don't get into CMU, tho. It's not the be-all, end-all of schools.

Posted by WildhornFanatic 2005-11-09 09:03:45

I thought CMU has gone downhill in the past few years. Isn't CCM like THE school to go to for Musical Theater?

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-11-09 09:22:25

There are lots of good schools for MT and none of them is any guarantee of work after graduation. There is no ONE best school. The admissions rates are so low that it's as competitive to get in as it is to an Ivy League college in many instances.

Generally speaking, the 'top' tier schools, which have similar admit rates, are CCM, Tisch, CMU, UMich, OCU, Syracuse, BoCo, Emerson, and then the next grouping would include, Penn State, Ithaca, UArts, Elon, Baldwin-Wallace, Otterbein, Hartt, Point Park. Juilliard does not have a musical theatre program.

Each of these colleges is a bit different in what they're looking for. For some, you need good academics as well as a great audition, some you have to pass academic review before you can audition, for others your audition is going to determine whether or not you get in. Most of the top schools have some type of showcase for agents/directors/casting people in NYC, and some do for L.A. as well.

Do people make it in the business if they don't go to one of these schools? Of course, some do, but it's a tough biz, and the better education and training (as well as making important and valuable contacts while in school) you can get, the better off your chances will be when it comes time to start auditioning.

And no, wildhornfanatic, CMU's reputation has not gone downhill. It's a wonderful and very well-respected (and extremely selective) school. I can say that without bias because I go to Tisch.

Posted by BwayBaby18 2005-11-09 09:35:44

One thing i found when i was looking for schools was don't go to the big flashy ones..... go to a smaller school with a tiny program..... and if you are really good you become the big fish in the small pond, that is what i am doing right now! i get individual attention along with one of the best educations ever!

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-11-09 10:15:03

I disagree, bwaybaby18. You should go to the best possible program you get accepted to, regardless of the size. It isn't about being a big fish in a small pond. It's about getting the best possible education and training that you can. If the best school you get into is a small program, that's fine but if it's a larger program, that's fine, too. The size of the program isn't always the determining factor in how much attention you get. Tisch has probably the largest drama program in the country but the individual studio classes are very small, generally in the 12-15 range. Your focus should always be on learning as much as possible, and not being the big fish.

Posted by Wanna Be A Foster 2005-11-09 14:19:38

Ithaca is THE BEST!

Posted by inlovewithjerryherman 2005-11-09 14:29:04

Carnegie-Mellon is a VERY good musical theatre school, but they have a far stronger straight drama program.

Cincinnatti Conservatory of Music is widely regarded as the best musical theatre school.

At both of these schools, you have to re-audition i think your sophmore year to remain in the program.

The University of Michigan was my choice program - they have quite the record, the most beautiful campus in the world, friendly staff, and regular lectures from Audra McDonald, who swears by it as the best musical theatre program in the states. I agree with her - it's more nurturing, more educational - some may prefer the cutthroat, real-life programs of the former two schools, but if you feel it's best to learn by example, not by fire, this is the best school.

also check out Oklahoma, Northwestern, Syracuse, Florida, Penn State, and NYU (although NYU's rep has slipped over the past few years, I hear.)

Posted by starlight2 2005-11-09 15:13:11

inlovewithjerryherman, you DO mean Oklahoma City University, NOT Oklahoma University, right?? BIG difference!

Posted by itstheM 2005-11-09 15:33:21

Syracuse has an awesome program. CCM has a great music program but they 'lack' in acting because they are a music conservatory. Both schools have a showcase. If you want more, PM me I have a lot of information.

Posted by LostLeander 2005-11-09 16:24:56

I would BEG to differ with placing CMU with CCM as a cut-throat school.
Real-life, yes. Intense, yes, but not cut-throat.
This place is actually quite nurturing, and for the record, Musical Theatre students take around 80% of the same course load that actors take PLUS various singing and dancing classes.

So, we're a very acting based program, and 90% of the people they take are ACTORS, or have the aptitude to be great actors, not singing heads.

Posted by erinrebecca 2005-11-09 19:59:57

You're right, lostleander. CMU does not come close to the cut program at CCM. It's an entirely different type of program, and, in my opinion, a superior one. :)

Posted by champzboy 2006-05-03 18:17:19

This has come up a few times throughout the duration of this topic, but it all boils down to the same thing: go to the schools, sit in classes, watch some shows...immerse yourself in each individual school's community. i (like most of you) was set on going to either CCM, CMU, NYU, and other "top" programs but went to UARTS in Philly for an audition and fell in love with everything about the school and then UARTS became my #1 and the others followed suit. I was accepted into a couple great programs and ended up choosing to go to UARTS in the end. Basically, go to the program that is best for you. In the end, it wasnt about the name of the program that was important to me, it was knowing that the program I choose with allow me to grow in an environment that is safe, nurturing, harsh, and real. Just go visit the schools and go to the one that fits you best! Just a thought.Later!

Posted by YAE2005 2006-05-03 18:39:59

it might seem a bit random, but the university or arizona had an AMAZING program. Check it out if you get the chance.

Posted by ThE nEw KiD 2006-05-03 19:16:05

If this hasn't been said, JRB teaches at USC though still it doesn't have an amazing musical theater program but Kelly Ward is amazing!

Posted by TheAudrey3 2006-05-04 16:58:31

I'm going to Hartt at U Hartford next year (Actor Training, not MT) but from the people I've met and talked to, it seems like it's pretty competitive. And they're all talented.

Plus, you get to work with Goodspeed.

Posted by icantbelive 2006-06-09 18:29:19

I think Northwestern now is overrated,
Yale (if u have the money)
UCLA
NYU

Posted by zoom 2006-06-09 18:45:35

If you're serious about musical theater..you MUST check out Oklahoma City University. Note..I didn't say University of Oklahoma (a crappy school for MT if you ask me after researching).

Most importantly, OCU gives a BM in music..not a BFA. Why? because the musical theater department is in the School of Music. Hey...what a novel idea having a MUSICAL theater department in a MUSIC school! That tells you the kind of intense training you're going to get at OCU.

And just look at the graduates all over Broadway. I'm sure you know Kristin and Kelli.

Plus they just opened the new $38 million music school facility which is the most up-to-date music school in the nation.

If you're serious about musical theater..then it's OCU.

Posted by jakethesnake 2006-06-10 03:14:38

icantbeleive----yeah Northwestern is overrated? They have only produced (and I'm just sticking with the current crop, not the old school ones from back in the day like Warren Beatty, Ann Margaret, etc.)---Brian Darcy James, David Ayers, Stephanie Dabruzzo, Mark Ledbetter, Kate Baldwin, Zach Braff, Kate Shindle, Jeri Ryan, Nicole Sullivan, Craig Bierko, Heather Headley, Jason Moore, and countless others that are too long to list. It is most definitely NOT overrated.

Posted by gustof777 2006-06-10 09:36:03

Exactly Northwestern is AMAZING!! I gotta put in some love for my school UArts...really young program but great training in a great enviorment.

Posted by Tom14850 2006-06-10 10:09:40

Ithaca College in Ithaca, NY

Posted by elphaba.scares.me 2006-06-10 12:08:16

Re: Northwestern, yes it is good. Very good.

But as a poster pointed out, like, a year ago at the beginning of this thread, it is NOT a BFA. Actually, the music program is a BA and the acting program is a BS (hee), believe it or not.

There is no audition to major in theatre. There are no cuts. There's an academic application like most other majors. If you want to do musical theatre (and I think a certificate program is a great amount of time to devote to it, because it shouldn't be all you can do), you can audition at the end of your freshman or sophomore years. Or both.

The glue holding the program together is Dominic Missimi. I don't know how the curriculum would fare without him driving it forward, but a lot of people have gotten a very good education out of it. There wouldn't be a certificate program if not for him, not to mention the new developmental program or a million other things.

Like most of the other major schools, NU has senior showcases in New York and (usually) L.A. They participated in New Leagues for a while with the other big schools, but I'm not sure how they're handling it now.

To each his own, but I cringe at the thought of being cut from a program at age 19 or 20. I think a lot of actors take longer to develop than that, and I didn't want that constant pressure to perform. I wanted to learn.

Full disclosure: the dance program has, in years past, not been that strong. And since it's a liberal arts-based program, you're required to take lots of courses outside your major. I found sociology and psychology and political science and English immensely helpful in learning about human behavior as it relates to acting, but it's not for everybody.

Posted by elphaba.scares.me 2006-06-10 12:10:51

Also, icantbelive--

Yale has perhaps the most-worshipped graduate acting program in the country, but their undergrad program is not considered to be as strong.

Posted by Stagerage2003 2006-06-10 12:14:17

Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo Michigan is a wonderful program for a BFA in Music Theatre Performance.

Alumni such as Stephen Lynch and Marin Mazzie have gone through our program.

PM me if you want some more information!

Posted by IveGottaBeME 2006-06-10 15:49:28

LaChanze went to UArts

Posted by niknat08 2007-11-11 22:22:31

What do you think about Kent State or Ball State?
If not, what has strong Musical Theatre AND Dance programs?

Posted by Elphie3 2007-11-11 22:25:36

Tisch - NYU

Posted by outovfashion07 2007-11-11 22:40:51

Niknat i am currently attending Kent. PM me and we can chat about the program.

Posted by MikeMTlover 2007-11-12 00:15:34

Some people here have some really warped ideas of the top musical theater schools. there are many musical theater schools out there but there a few that are for sure at the top.

University of Michigan is currently the top school
CCM
Boston Conservatory
NYU
Baldwin Wallace (Iim surprised no one has talked about this school. It is one of 6 college that were aloud to preform phantom this year)
Elon (again one of the school given the rights to phantom)
Carnegie Melon

There are other good school but that is pretty much the gist of the top MT schools.

Majoring in Musical Theater is much more beneficial than simply Vocal performance, dancing, or acting. When you audition for a show you much sing, dance and act. That is why musical theater is different from straight theater, dancing companies, and choral singing.

It is possible to pursue musical theater if you do not major in it, but it is simply harder and not the smartest route.

There are differences in BFA's and BM's. You get more specialized training in singing if your school offers a BM. Typically for musical theater majors at top schools getting into the program means your singing is your strong point. So you do not need quite as much training in music. Acting is typically a weak point for freshman musical theater majors that is why in my personal opinion a BFA is more beneficial.

However, if you plan to live in NYC you can be a substitute music teacher if you graduate with a BM and for many aspiring Broadway actors they will run into money problems at some point so the option to teach could be nice =)

Posted by lovelyspotlight 2007-11-12 01:08:24

Talk about bumping up a really old thread, MikeMTlover. =P

Just for a clarification about Northwestern (since I'm here and I know), you can get a BA in theatre if you add language in. That's the sole difference between getting a BS and getting a BA. A BA requires that you have two foreign language credits.

Also, I would agree that the musical theatre training here is superb. And you can actually get a good amount of it without even being in the MT certificate program. For instance, you can declare a dance minor and take those difficult-to-otherwise-get-into dance classes (which, as I understand, are currently quite stellar). You can (and many do) take non-major voice classes with musical theatre specialized instructors. You DO have to audition to be placed with those instructors, but...you can do it. =]

I just saw "Boys from Syracuse"...and the musical talent is pretty phenomenal. True, Northwestern doesn't offer a BFA, but the MT certificate program and all of the theatre courses here are widely renowned as being quite wonderful. Plus, I've seen the products of that. Haven't seen a bad show yet. Quite the contrary.

Posted by B3TA07 2007-11-12 01:44:43

Another OCU alum:

Linda Twine, musical director and conductor for "Caroline, or Change" and "The Color Purple." Also played in the pit/conducted "The Wiz," "Big River," "Frog and Toad," "Bring Back Birdie," "Ain't Misbehavin'," and LaChuisa's "The Wild Party."

:)

I love my school <3

Posted by IlseArielEponine 2008-02-17 22:15:09

Is it too crazy if you double major in two BFA's? For example: a BFA in Vocal Performance and a BFA in Acting. Usually voice would be a B.M. but it's a BFA at CMU. I just wanna know if it will kill me with all of those credits.

Also at CMU, voice majors take A LOT of semesters in Acting, so would there be a possibility of taking the same exact classes that you would in your acting major?

Posted by Aswatrowinkenbo 2008-02-17 23:20:18

Does anyone know if Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA is any good?

Posted by BoTheMusical 2008-02-19 17:37:20

Here is my attempt at a list for best BFA MT schools

Top3: (arguable all could be #1)
CCM
UMich
BoCo

Class B: (well known for MT and in no order)
Penn State
CMU
NYU
Millikin
Elon
Webster
Baldwin-Wallace
UArts
Ithaca
Northwestern (with no BFA)
Point Park

Class C: (not as well known, but still good, in no order)
Roosevelt (CCPA)
Florida State
U Central Florida
Illinois Wesleyan
OCU
U Arizona
UCLA
Marymount Manhattan (no BFA MT)
Catholic University
Western Michigan
Wright State
Ball State

As you can see this list is VERY lengthy. There are WAY too many MT Schools in the nation, which is why what matters most is which school is best for YOU. Don't go off of reputation, go off of your assets, what you need to work on and the vibe you get from those universities.

Posted by Bearfann14 2008-02-25 19:46:11

I would agree mostly with "Bothemusical", but there are some schools i would change around in his list, and I have also added some, either due to experience or experience/reputations of others I know and i have talked to in the buisness.
(I am a current BFA MT student)

Top3: (arguable all could be #1)
CCM
UMich
NYU

Class B: (well known for MT, whether by reputation of program or graduates working, and in no order)

Penn State
Boco
CMU
Millikin
Elon
Webster
Illinois Wesleyan
Baldwin-Wallace
Ithaca
Northwestern (with no BFA)
Point Park
UArts
Syracuse

Class C: (not as well known, but still good, in no order)
Roosevelt (CCPA)
Florida State
U Central Florida
OCU
U Arizona
UCLA
Marymount Manhattan (no BFA MT)
Catholic University
Western Michigan
Wright State
Ball State
Emerson
Shenandoah Conservatory

Posted by bjkeys321 2008-07-16 11:41:40

i'm going to be a junior in high school next year and I know that MT is what I want to do, so I was wondering if you guys knew any summer camps to go to for theater! I was thinking Interlochin because I got accepted for their 4 week string quartet program and it was worth it, it improved my playing a lot (violin). I don't know anything about the MT program though, so, I was just wondering if you guys had any input or any really really good camps.

I was also looking at University of Michigan for College. What are other colleges that I should keep in mind for MT?

Posted by UAisGREAT 2008-07-16 12:57:49

For the sake of getting the info out there I am going to post what I put on another thread about BFA degrees....

I go to the University of Arizona pursuing my BFA and I think it is a great school for the following reasons:

1. Since it is a public university it is generally less expensive than the private schools with BFA programs like CMU, Michigan, NYU, Boston U, Juilliard, etc...

2. UA has a small program that gives you a lot of individual attention. You will not get lost in the mix.

3. The BFA program has their own theater company called Arizona Repertory Theater and they produce 6 main stage shows a season that consists of 4 plays (generally a Shakespeare, 2 contemporary plays, and a period piece) as well 2 large scale musicals.

4. As a member of the Arizona Repertory Theater you will be cast in a show EVERY semester sophomore-senior year. Freshman usually do not perform- it's a very common thing in many programs.

5. Tucson AZ is really a fun place to go to school. UA is a huge university so there it has a lot to offer in addition to the BFA program. If you want to double major or minor that is possible (quite a few of my fellow BFA classmates are doing so). Or if you want to join a frat or sorority you can do that as well.

6. The BFA program has a great partnership with Arizona Theater Company (which is the state theater of AZ and one of the country's leading regional theaters). BFA students at UA oftentimes understudy and occasionally even get cast in ATC productions. For instance, 6 BFA students this past year alone were CAST in shows at ATC while quite a few more understudied. As a performer/understudy at ATC you get to be a Equity Membership Candidate and build up points towards receiving your Equity card.

Now, any school you will go to will have drawbacks. There are a lot of good schools and even the schools dubbed "the best" will not be a fit for everyone. I think UA is a great 'under the radar' program and I think it will grow even more in prominence as the years go on. If you're looking for a small program with great acting-based Stanislavski training then UA might be a good fit.

Just so you know, UA does have end of the cuts after your freshman and sophomore years. Over the past couple years they have done substantial cuts to the classes. Some people look at this as a bad thing but I personally think it is a good thing.

If you want more info contact me privately.

Posted by $bfa$ 2008-09-08 03:35:34

You have to consider the level of debt you will incur with any college degree but certainly a theater degree. If you graduate school with major debt and need to work a "B" Job (especially if it's one you might not like) just to keep the creditors away and the rent paid - no Degree is worth it. Working just to pay off college debt doesn't leave you time to audition, or to keep taking classes, which is a must for any actor/actress. The life of an actor after graduation whether it's NY or LA is filled with classes (always more training) and networking -- so that you can "work" the business of the business. Get the BFA if that's your passion - but do it wisely - with an eye toward your CAREER as an actor.

Posted by xxdrewboy85xx 2008-09-08 14:10:02

I also agree with Bothemusical and bearfann on the top schools however I would put florida state and OKCU in class B not C!

IMO the top 5 of the best schools for MTP would be

U of M
CCM
Penn State
Elon
Carnegie Mellon.

My only issue with schools like BoCo NYU and Point Park is how many they actually accept. I think its way too many students to get the individual attention needed.

Posted by TheActr97J 2008-09-08 17:57:06

IMO the top 5 of the best schools for MTP would be

U of M
CCM
Penn State
Elon
Carnegie Mellon.

And just what the crap are you basing that list on?

Posted by too_wicked 2008-09-08 19:39:24

U of M is the absolute number one. Hands down.

Posted by sundaymorning6am 2008-09-08 23:09:05

I'm sorry. I'm going to sound like a snot, but the best BFA if you want to be an actor is moving your butt to NYC, take classes, and wait tables while you're auditioning.

Going to school for theatre is a WASTE. You either have it or you don't. If you have $80-$120k to wipe your butt with, I can think of much better ways to spend it.

Posted by aawolfe 2008-10-01 14:37:04

In response to this VERY old post in '05 -
"When I was in Stratford, I was talking to some of the actors about schools in Canada to look at. Everyone said Sheridan, but because it's a college they don't offer a degree or something? I don't understand that... Can anyone from Canada explain?"

...as of next year (Sept. of 2009) Sheridan College's MT program will be 4 years and you'll receive a BAA (Bachelor of Applied Arts- which I've heard is "better" than a BFA? I have no real knowledge in regards to that...). Also- University of Western Ontario is apparently starting a 4-year MT program in Sept/2009 as well.

Lots of better opportunities.....

Posted by B3TA07 2008-10-01 17:27:08

HI Aaron!!

Posted by hl2522 2009-02-04 09:38:46

TheActr97J makes a good point. Except I think it applies to most people in the last part of this thread who have been making lists. just "how the crap" are you ranking these and what qualifies you to do so. a lot of these rankings are based on heresay and past success of performers who've attended these programs. Try researching schools - go to their websites, visit collegeconfidential.com, etc. and you'll get a better understanding of what school is right for you, rather than applying to a list someone came up with with schools they may or may not be familiar with and disregarding other schools...they may or may not be familiar with.

Posted by Theatreboy49 2009-02-10 12:27:06

Im glad this was bumped not too long ago. Im a sophmore in college and Im lookng at finally transfering into a good MT program. Im really liking Baldwin Wallace, Point Park and Marrymount Manhattan. It seems over the course of this thread that these 3 havent gotten much attention. Anyone want to enlighten me about these 3 what the program is like why Baldwin over Point Park (since I know both are better than MM though that school really intriuges me).

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-02-28 00:29:15

Could anyone tell me the tuition for the University of Arizona? I'm having a ton of trouble finding it anywhere online.

Also, are there any performers who went there?

Posted by EvanK 2009-02-28 02:13:11

I have heard from a lot of actors that a good step is to go to a straight theatre school. Musical directors will still hire you, but if you just go to MT schools it can be harder to find work outside of that realm.

Posted by Parks 2009-02-28 03:56:25

I've been told that NYU's theater program is falling apart. Their musical theater program (Cap 22 or something?) lost funding because they're not really putting out any Broadway "stars" anymore? I heard this from a person IN the program... is this true?

Posted by broadwaybaby77 2009-02-28 09:19:35

"My only issue with schools like BoCo NYU and Point Park is how many they actually accept. I think its way too many students to get the individual attention needed."

Someone posted this up a few posts on the thread, and I thought I'd reply. I go to BoCo and I'm one of 59 in the freshman class. Being one teensy fish in a huge pond of freshman mts did scare me a little at first, but once I started classes, I always felt like I had tons of personal attention. We're split into cores of 15 or so (you have all of your classes with those 15), and each class involves different one-on-one exercises. I'm not sure if this is a common thing at other schools that accept more students, but I wouldn't say that BoCo doesn't give students enough personal attention; our parents certainly pay enough, and these teachers really deliver.

With the current state of the economy, our class sizes are going to drop even more than usual, anyway.

Posted by snowskittle 2009-02-28 13:17:25

Parks, this seems hard to believe. Phoebe Strole was in "Spring Awakening" and is in in "Mourning Becomes Electra". Ato Blankston Wood will be in "Hair" and Carrie Manolakos was in both the touring and Broadway productions of "Mamma Mia" as Sophie and will be in the new "Wicked" tour as standby to Elphabah. These are all recent NYU Cap21 grads. I'm sure there are more, but these are 3 that come to mind.

Can anyone else add to these?

Has anyone else heard anything more about this?

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-02-28 13:21:23

Ben Leibert was in Wicked on Broadway and is now on tour as Boq. He went to NYU.

Posted by jake6970 2009-02-28 13:43:11

If you feel that NYU Tisch is falling apart, at least look at Steinhardt, which has an amazing musical theatre program too.

Posted by overthemoonboy 2009-02-28 15:50:33

"I have heard from a lot of actors that a good step is to go to a straight theatre school. Musical directors will still hire you, but if you just go to MT schools it can be harder to find work outside of that realm."

EvanK, I'm so glad you brought this up. If you really want to work, go to a straight theater school. You can still train your voice in their music department. A perfect example is UCSB, the only UC with a BFA in Acting (UCLA can kiss it!). It's also got a great Music department with free voice lessons if you're good enough to get them. Many of the actors cross over into the Dance department (wich is also amazing) even though you train in dance in the BFA anyway.

This year there are three seniors in the program with Yale School of Drama (they do musicals!) callbacks, a few cast in Hollywood movies and TV shows, a few going straight into jobs or grad schools, and, not that this is relevant here, one who is up for a spot on Gossip Girl.

And it's on the beach. Just throwing that out there. Be aware that you train for your freshman year before auditoining for the BFA in the spring, or transfer in. If anyone has questions, PM me.

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-02-28 15:52:53

So, you guys are saying don't major in Musical Theater?

Posted by TheCharleston 2009-02-28 15:56:15

It's different for everyone.

If you want to major in Musical Theatre, go for it.

No stranger on a message board should have any substantial impact on your career and educational decisions.

There are different ways of thinking. Some believe you SHOULD go to school for it, and some believe you SHOULDN'T.

It's a matter of both opinion and perception. Do what you want to do; what you feel passionate about.

Posted by broadwayfan7 2009-02-28 17:02:14

If you can't see yourself doing anything but musical theatre, then major in musical theatre. You have to want it with your whole heart and soul. It's talent, luck, and who you know.

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-02-28 21:17:29

How are casting directors if you have a out of country degree? Such as one from Laine Theatre Arts in England?

Posted by CSonBroadway 2009-03-01 10:23:51

Although some people think going to college for theatre is a waste, I think it can be a good thing since you can get tons of training and in dance also if you weren't much of a dancer before.

Posted by TheCharleston 2009-03-01 10:44:40

"How are casting directors if you have a out of country degree? Such as one from Laine Theatre Arts in England?"

Your degree and school can only help you... not hurt you.

There's a ridiculous perception that if you have a B.A. in Communications and the other person has a BFA in Musical Theatre, you'll be the one fighting an uphill battle. This is simply not true.

Casting Directors are looking for the talent, the right "look", and the "it" factor. They're starting to care less and less about the actual program - they're just happy to see when you have some type of degree. It shows commitment and dedication.

Posted by kissmekateshindle 2009-03-01 18:39:13

I know that each person needs to find the program that is right for them, but if you're looking to have success playing ACTUAL roles on Broadway, look no further than Ithaca College. Find me actors that have had more success than Kerry Butler, Matt Cavenaugh, Aaron Tveit, and Mark Price in the past 10 years or so. They have been creating original roles and characters non-stop since they graduated from college. These are four of the most prominent graduates but there are many more that continue to work on Broadway in featured roles in great shows. Ithaca is great for individual artists who want to great work in theatre.

Posted by jayclay 2009-03-01 18:46:07

I agree. Ithaca College's magazine has just started a series of articles about their graduates who have gone on to Broadway.

Posted by TheCharleston 2009-03-01 18:53:00

Ithaca's MT program is extremely questionable and messy.

Their acting program, on the other hand, is absolutely fabulous.

Posted by Theatreboy49 2009-03-01 19:39:30

Is Marrymount Mannhattans program that looked down upon? Other than looking at their website and such I dont know that much about it and kind of like but was wondering what your insights might be.

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-03-01 19:52:47

^^^
Annaleigh Ashford went there.

Just wondering, OP, if you still check these boards... which school did you choose?

Posted by seemynameinlights 2009-03-01 20:51:05

NYU is the best way to go, that is where I am going. Tisch has a great musical theatre program that focuses on acting and dance, and you get group vocal lessons. Steindhart is better if you want to be a superior singer. What I am going to do is major in Musical theatre at Cap21 and take my voice at Steindhart so I can have private lessons.

You will be in NY so you can audition for shows while your in college, if your serious about Musical Theatre you are going to end up in NY anyway, why not start there.

Posted by kissmekateshindle 2009-03-01 21:03:42

The Charleston,
What is messy about a program that produces leading men and women on a regular basis? IC's MT and Acting programs are practically the same program. The MTs take all the same classes as the Acting majors.

Posted by kristin3 2009-03-05 21:53:22

i have soo many questions....
what is the best school
do you have to be thin to do musical theatre
is it good to have tech experience
do you think an average girl from indiana can make it in new york?

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2009-03-05 21:54:56

You don't have to be thin to be into musical theatre, that is one of the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

Anyone can make it if they have the talent and passion.

Posted by TheActr97J 2009-03-05 23:37:47

Is Mary Testa thin?

Posted by kristin3 2009-03-07 09:51:43

so you dont have to be a size 2 to go on stgae?
and i have the passion i guess i just worry about the talent although my last director is at cuny college getting his doctorate in directing and he thinkds i can make it i still worry is that normal?

Posted by RumTumTugger22 2009-03-08 19:46:31

The Charleston - My best friend goes to Ithaca as a Drama major and he gave me the run down. Ithaca's BFA MT program is more or less its acting program with the addition of amazing music classes accompanied by amazing dance classes.

Posted by AMyNameisAuri 2009-04-22 22:33:08

Ithaca is a Great program! In fact, the Ithaca BFA Class of 2009 Showcase is coming up this May 11th at Theatre Row Studios (410 W. 42nd Street) at 3:30 and 6:30pm.

Some Ithaca College Alumni include: Matt Cavenaugh (West Side Story, Grey Gardens,) Kerry Buttler (Xanadu, Hairspray,) Aaron Tveit (Gossip Girl, Wicked, Hairspray, Next to Normal, Catch Me If You Can,) Dan Petrotta (Tale of Two Cities, Ever After), Kevin Greene (Grease: You're the One That I Want, Tale of Two Cities) Eric Jordan Young (Seussical, Sammy & Me, The Look of Love, Ragtime, Chicago), Sarah Schmidt (Jersey Boys), Caesar Samayoa (Hot Feet), Jen Waldman (Titanic, Wicked) Jerad Bortz (Mamma Mia, Wicked, Pirate Queen), Q Smith (Les Miserables), Jeremy Jordan (Rock of Ages), Joe Aaron Reid (Chicago, Curtains), Michelle Federer (Wicked, Three Days of Rain), Mark Price (You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Mamma Mia!, The Rocky Horror Show, Dance of the Vampires, Wonderful Town, All Shook Up, Mary Poppins), Rebecca Rich (Zombie Prom), Erin Maguire (Forbidden Broadway, The Battery's Down) Steve Pacek (Walnut Street's Les Miserables), Bruce Warren (Cats, Oklahoma, Wizard of Oz tours) Brandon Andrus (Oklahoma tour), Casey Sweeney (Blue Man Group), Tricia Tanguy (Cats, The Producers, Joseph...Dreamcoat tours) Brooke Stone (Hairspray, Peter Pan, Grease tours), Kim Stern (A Doll's Life), Stacey Morgain Lewis (Wicked - Chicago Company), Zachary James (Coram Boy, South Pacific), Sal Mistretta (Cabaret, Sunset Boulevard, Evita), Ben Feldman (The Graduate, "Las Vegas," Friday the 13th), Amanda Setton (Gossip Girl) to name a few!

Posted by BroadwayBound5 2009-08-12 00:29:38

Some of these are BFA's, others not (most are), but this is my list for schools to look into for MT or in the fields of:
Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs)
Boston Conservatory
Elon U
U Michigan
Rutgers (For Acting)
U of the Arts
Emerson
Northwestern (strong vocal performance program)
Ithica
CCM
Hart School
NYU (tish)
Syracuse
American
Penn St.
Brown (Acting)
Yale (From what I hear it's on a downward slope though)
Carnegie Melon
Oklahoma City U
Wagner

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on their opinions of these selective colleges..

Posted by desiree armfeldt 2009-08-12 00:59:30

seemynameinlights---

As I understand, NYU is severing its relationship with cap21 in the coming years and attempting to build an in-house program....

Posted by desiree armfeldt 2009-08-12 01:02:47

Of your list, I think the best-rated schools right now are (in the order they appeared above):

Boston Conservatory
University of Michigan
Emerson
Northwestern (they have an MT certificate)
Ithaca
CCM
Syracuse
Penn St.
Carnegie Mellon
Oklahoma City U

If you are planning to apply to one or more of these programs, I would definitely recommend the college confidential website. It has discussion boards for MT majors and also for each school.

Posted by inlovewithjerryherman 2009-08-12 01:12:37

Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs) - Great acting school.

Boston Conservatory - Lovely.

Elon U - don't know too much about it.

U Michigan - their kids know how to market themselves, but recently UMich grads recently seem to all have less and less personality than those that are well-known.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UrInTown

Rutgers (For Acting) - don't know much.

U of the Arts - Strong musical theatre program, with great vocal and dance programs, but you won't learn how to act there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UArtsTheatre

Emerson - Apparently it's gone downhill recently?
http://www.youtube.com/user/EmersonMusicalThea

Northwestern (strong vocal performance program) - Apparently a great acting program as well - wonderful graduate program to be sure.

Ithaca - don't know much.

CCM - These kids are FIERCE, but if you're looking for a typical college lifestyle and not one that is fiercely competitive and in which you live in fear for your first two years to avoid being cut, than this school is not the best. No question that the results are unbelievable, though.

Hart School - Know nothing.

NYU (tish) - Depends upon which school. I know that CAP21 stresses uniqueness and acting over vocal technique and dance, not to say that the training is at all shabby in the latter areas.

Syracuse - Don't know much, used to have a really strong rep for MT, but not sure anymore.

American - Where?

Penn St. - Second best. Penn State grads are all unbelievably talented musical theatre performers. check out their youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pennstatemt

Brown (Acting) - Strong rep, to be sure.

Yale - I'm not sure about undergrad, but the graduate program at Yale for acting is still without question the highest regarded in the world.

Carnegie Melon - The absolute best in my opinion. every CMU grad/student I've met is fabulously unique, a phenominal vocalist, a strong dancer, and an unbelievable actor.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PopSensation87

Oklahoma City U - Heard nothing but good things about this school. The few kids I know from OKCU are amazing.

Wagner - Don't know much.

Also for your consideration:
Webster U (for Musical Theatre) - The kids I know from this underdog school are REALLY talented and really professional.
Worth checking out.

Point Park (for Musical Theatre) - Point Park is known for it's students who can DANCE - but they're not slouches vocally either. Not sure about their acting programs.

Temple U - Temple has an amazing acting program and a fast growing reputation. A production ("In Conflict") of theirs recently played for six months off broadway at the barrow street, and was incredible (check out Brantley's review). Their musical theatre program is VERY new, but is shaping up nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TempleMusicalTheater

NOTE: For those I didn't post youtube links for, not trying to say those are any worse - you just have to search yourself because they don't have centralized pages - all of these schools are ALL OVER the tube, though.

Posted by millie_dillmount 2009-08-12 04:00:23

"so you dont have to be a size 2 to go on stgae?"

Um, no.

Are you really that familiar with theater? If you were, you would know that there are many, MANY successful and Tony Award-winning actors who are not a size 2.

"Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs) - Great acting school."

Yay! Brad Oscar went there.

Posted by iamchanging9 2009-08-12 10:42:44

Temple is awesome, my friend is a pharmacy student there and when i visited him we went to see their production of Damn Yankees and excluding the girl who played Lola the production was amazing. My friend also told me that their directing students musicals were awesome(Gloryday from See What I Wanna See and Avenue Q).

From those youtube videos everyone there seems to be really talented exluding maybe two of them.

Posted by BroadwayBound115 2009-08-12 11:34:39

I've noticed that UMich's talent has gone down. They still are talented kids, but I don't think they are a triple-threat-making machine. If you want that, go to CCM, I think the training there is ridiculously great, if you can get in.

Posted by CateBroadway 2009-08-12 11:47:19

I DEFINITELY don't think UMich's talent has gone down. I just think EVERYONE from there works so there's a lot more of them you probably haven't seen. If you take only the grads from the last 2 years, there are over 15 of them who are working on Broadway or on major Nat'l tours. And they play the leads. You're not going to get those odds from any other school.
Let's be honest, the three top schools are CCM, Carnegie Mellon and Michigan. You're not going to find any casting director who disagrees. All three fantastic schools. Those are the three most attended showcases and the three with the most grads working straight after graduation.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2009-08-12 12:20:42

From the videos I've seen on YT, I've been extremely impressed by U Michigan's students. And, their alumni did A Very Potter Musical, so that raises them in my esteem as well.

American University is in Washington, D.C. I interviewed for a graduate program there, but it wasn't related to theatre so I have no idea how good or bad their MT program is.

Posted by i am the one 2009-08-12 12:43:22

Okay guys, it's NYU Tisch, not "Tish".

Let's keep it educated.

Posted by matineeidol2013 2009-08-12 15:26:38

some insight on the Penn State University's Musical Theatre program...its very very impressive.

http://live.psu.edu/story/40804

and the best part, I start there as a Musical Theatre major in 10 days!

Posted by inlovewithjerryherman 2009-08-12 19:42:19

I don't mean to diss UMich kids - no doubt the training there is fantastic.

Really, it truly doesn't matter where you go, at least from the schools mentioned thus far, because they all have great faculty who will really work to cultivate and motivate their students. The passion, hard work, and luck is up to you.

Posted by CateBroadway 2009-08-12 19:53:32

"Really, it truly doesn't matter where you go, at least from the schools mentioned thus far, because they all have great faculty who will really work to cultivate and motivate their students. The passion, hard work, and luck is up to you."

Well said. College is what you make of it.

Posted by broadwayworldreader 2009-08-12 20:25:38

If your interested in a small liberal arts school in IL check out Illinois Wesleyan University. I've heard from many that they're program is quickly picking up steam and marketing itself as a program that isn't a machine. Apparently, it's also highly selective and there appears to be a lot of individual attention, there's about 35 ppl in the MT program. They don't seem to connect to much with their alum, but I know Richard Jenkins who was nominated for an academy award this past year went there for acting. My friend told me that Dave Clemmons taught a master class there and recommends. In fact, he sought out the school to take the class after he saw some great alum audition for various shows he was casting. Anyone else heard of it?

Posted by Gigi1223 2009-09-05 10:22:44

How about some of the Ohio schools: Wright State University, Baldwin-Wallace, Otterbein, Ball State in IA?

Posted by The Boy From Ohio 2009-09-05 23:03:26

I'm far from a student, but I'll give my two cents as a season ticket holder for CCM and Wright State.
CCM is never a miss and is always a good show, Mainstage and Studio. The talent is amazing to me (in all departments). I always look forward to seeing their names in various Playbills for tours and Broadway after they leave.
Wright State is not on the same level for me as CCM. Some productions are great while others have been off. Next year will be interesting as the students playing most of the leads were seniors.
Like someone said college is what you make of it, and I have seen really great shows at both schools.

Posted by justbreathe007 2009-09-11 15:52:28

What about Columbia College in Chicago? I would love to go to college in NY but I can't get out there to visit and I'm looking for something a little closer. One of my top choices is Elon but again, I can't get there to visit.

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2009-09-11 16:02:09

I almost applied to Columbia College...it seems like their program is pretty nice.

As others have said, though, it really is what you make of it, and once you are auditioning in the professional world nobody is going to really care where you went to school.

Posted by lillebjorn 2009-09-11 17:37:23

What school depends on the career you want? Who do you admire? Do you want to be a triple threat? Do you just want to do musical theatre or act in straight plays/films etc?
In my experience, working on 2 broadway shows and 2 national tours in the last 10 months and also teaching at a major conservatory, get the best acting training you can. Look at the actors playing lead roles who are now in their late thirties or older. Many, but not all, went to acting schools and developed their musical chops by learning a strong acting technique and applying it to Musical Theatre. The actors who finaled as Principals for one show I worked on had, without exception, NOT gone to an MT school. Some went to major acting schools while some went through "vocal performance" programs.
The principal actors I've worked with and respect have mostly gone to schools like Juilliard, Tisch grad, NCSA (or UNCSA as it is now) and BU. They can produce actors who can sing.
The ensemble actors who I respect tend to be from top MT schools like CMU, UMich, Baldwin-Wallace(rising to the top) or CCM. Or they've been to schools that don't have a reputation for MT and have had the drive to succeed. I'll be honest, I haven't had great experiences working with people from middle rank schools like Elon. Sorry, Elonites, but that's my experience.

Posted by willact4food 2009-09-11 17:53:42

You guys have it all wrong about Oklahoma City University. OCU has a good VOCAL PERFORMANCE program, which is the degree that Kristin Chenoweth and Kelli O'Hara graduated with. Their musical theatre program is a travesty, mostly because of their acting teachers.

University of Oklahoma has a wonderful School of Musical Theatre (the only actual School for musical theatre in the nation) and an awesome School of Drama.

The only schools up north are wonderful as well, especially UMich.

Posted by BroadwayBound92 2009-09-11 19:32:33

What about Sam Houston State University? It's my first choice. The only notable alumni is Katie Rose Clarke, but students that have attended say that it has an excellent program in Musical Theatre.

Posted by *brina-doll* 2009-09-11 20:13:02

The University of Minnesota-Duluth is another great school to look out for (in terms of a BFA for musical theatre). It's in a rather small town up North but the program is wonderful and the teachers are fantastic.

Posted by bwaybound2010 2009-09-11 21:48:39

anyone know how good (or bad) the one and two-year conservatory programs are at New York Film Academy?

Posted by showtuneserenade 2009-09-16 17:09:35

As an NYU student, I wanted to update anyone looking to apply to Tisch on some changes in our drama department. No more CAP21.
http://www.nyunews.com/#/news/2009/sep/16/tisch/?ref=ajax

Sigh.

Posted by KeatonWilliams 2009-10-29 03:51:50

So, there seems to be some very well informed people on this message board.

Anyone have some good advice on which MT school is best in California? I live here and can't really afford to go across the country.

Any legit feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-10-29 08:14:24

There aren't many great ones in California. Most are better for art and acting programs...

I'd suggest UC Irvine (I don't think it's a bfa) and Pepperdine (that should be BFA). Might be a couple of others but the pickings will be slim.

Posted by mosessupposes 2009-10-29 09:40:15

Most of the ones people have posted are good. CMU, CCM, Michigan. Ithaca College has an amazing program. And look at the alumni in shows on Broadway!
Kerry Butler(Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, Xanadu, Rock of Ages), Aaron Tviet (Hairspray, Wicked, Next to Normal, Catch Me if You Can), Matt Cavenaugh (Grey Gardens, West Side Story), Joe Aaron Ried (Curtains, Chicago, Finians Rainbow), Eric Jordan Young (Suessical, Chicago, Ragtime) Sara Schmidt (Jersey Boys), Jeremy Jordan (Rock of Ages) and more. And these people are always LEAD roles in Broadway shows. Ithaca must be doing something over there.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-10-29 09:41:27

I smell an Ithaca College student.

Posted by mosessupposes 2009-10-29 09:48:50

As for great programs in Cali, there are a lot of talented people coming out of USC! I've heard great things about their program.

Posted by BroadwayBound115 2009-10-29 11:14:05

Oakland University in Rochester Hills, MI, is an up and coming program. A few years back they totally re did every aspect of their musical theatre program. While they don't have multi-million dollar facilities, they never fail to put on good musicals and plays.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-10-29 12:10:21

"As for great programs in Cali, there are a lot of talented people coming out of USC! I've heard great things about their program."

They don't have a Musical Theatre program, my friend... Their FILM & STAGE ACTING programs is what you're talking about (I hope).

Posted by SoMuchBetter44 2009-10-29 13:29:07

Wow, I hadn't heard about this! Will Cap21 still be operating independently for their summer programs and 2 year professional program? I'm looking into their summer 6 week professional program for this coming summer. Does anyone know if I can still get college credit from NYU for it this summer?

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-10-29 18:50:40

No, I dont think so. Call and ask..

They'll still be doing the 2 year certificate program though.

Posted by musicalbluemirror 2009-11-11 01:22:02

other than NYU, what programs in NYC are really good?
Ive been hearing Pace & Marymount....?

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-11-11 10:32:38

What counts as "good" ?

NYU is a top 10 (or top 15, depending on who you ask) program but neither Pace nor Marymount are anywhere near that.

The schools don't offer BFA's in Musical Theatre Performance. Both Pace and Marymount offer bigger & better drama/acting programs and specialized dance majors. Stay away if possible.

NYU is the best option in New York City. Some will get defensive and disagree but ask any qualified professional - they'll agree. Though I personally am against NYU and feel that it raises multiple "red flags"

Posted by logan_of_oz 2009-11-11 12:44:03

"What about Sam Houston State University? It's my first choice. The only notable alumni is Katie Rose Clarke, but students that have attended say that it has an excellent program in Musical Theatre. "

I go to Sam Houston. It's a great program. Dave Clemmons comes twice a year for master classes. He thinks Sam is one of the most overlooked schools for talent. In fact, he has said that if a Sam Houston student comes in for an audition he will always look at them harder than the rest because of the training that is taught here. I am really enjoying it and definitely recommend it.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-11-11 13:02:59

Dave Clemmons is lying. He, along with 99.9% of professional NYC Casting Directors, could care less about your post secondary-level of theatrical education.

And I'll just leave it at that.

Posted by Kad 2009-11-11 13:14:43

To elaborate in re: Marymount Manhattan.

They only offer a BFA in Acting, and that is where the school's strength lies. Their acting program is very, very good.

However, I would not dissuade anyone from attending for a BA in theatre performance with a musical theatre minor. Despite being a minor, it's very intense and the program is gaining a lot of strength. It's just not a BFA, and if that's what you seek, that's not what you're going to get.

Posted by musicalbluemirror 2009-11-11 13:45:25

born and raised in brooklyn, and currently at LaG im looking into good schools for Musical Theatre in or around the city
I cant really imagine leaving the city to go way out there so im just looking for my best option in the area
Other than Marymount or Pace and of course NYU Im not too sure what else is there
ive heard AMDA is just rediculous (please give your imput about that if you have any)
other than that ive heard Wagner and Purchase

thanks guys!

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-11-11 14:17:12

Purchase??? No.

LIU C.W. Post, Wagner, Manhattanville, Marymount, New World, NYU, Pace, Rider.

** If you want to stay close.

Stay far far far away from AMDA, please. I beg of you.

Posted by bwaylvsong 2009-11-11 14:25:44

Hey, musicalbluemirror, I went to LaG, too (Vocal '07)!

Purchase has excellent straight theatre and voice programs, but no MT programs that I know of.
I actually have some friends that went to AMDA and they all loved it and are very talented! What's everyone's problem with it?
Have you spoken to Nancy Grilikhes (sp) about this?

Posted by invisiblegirl18 2009-11-11 15:03:39

does anyone here actually attend (or attended, i guess) marymount manhattan? I am considering applying there for Production and Stage Management but have heard some negative reviews about it. Any opinions here? It really seems like a good fit for me but I don't want to go there if I am going to hate it and be unable to have a good career after college.

Posted by Kad 2009-11-11 17:03:13

I currently attend Marymount, but for BFA Acting. I love the school and the program (though I wouldn't dream of going there if I weren't planning on majoring in theatre or dance).

Everyone I know in Production loves the program.

Marymount is fairly well-regarded in the theatre world. Certainly not at the level of other schools, like NYU or CMU, etc., but well-regarded nonetheless.

At the same time, your career won't be held back by where you attend undergraduate school. And if you decide to attend Marymount, and find the school and program isn't a fit, you can always transfer.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-11-11 17:57:14

"I actually have some friends that went to AMDA and they all loved it and are very talented! What's everyone's problem with it?"

No comment.

Posted by jake6970 2009-11-11 20:43:02

musicsnob- pace IS a BFA in musical theatre. And really, don't let anyone tell you which schools are good and bad...as cheesy as this sounds, it's so crucial to find the school that's right for you. A school may not be the most reputable but if you go there and fall in love, chances are you will grow more as a performer and a human being than you would if you want to an amazing program where you were unhappy for 4 years.

Posted by Fat Actor 2009-11-13 04:56:15

TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY!!! All I can say about it is, Kaitlin Hopkins.

Posted by CanAsian Tenor 2009-11-23 06:25:31

I'd like to know people's opinions on these NY schools. I'm applying soon for them and want to know which offer the best in terms of being connected with the professional theaters and companies in NY.

Pace
CAP21
Marymount
AMDA

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2009-11-27 00:36:44

I don't know what everyone's supposed beef with AMDA is since no one seems to want to say anything specific, but I went there last year (I wound up leaving the program to pursue a BFA at a different school) and while the program is not the strongest and they have some really bizarre philosophies, it's not a terrible place. I don't think it should be a substitute for college because it is not a college type of environment at all but there are some really good things about it and many of their grads do work professionally. They accept a lot of people and so there are strong performers and weak performers in every group but I had a couple of really amazing teachers (in addition to several awful ones) there who taught me a lot. And like a lot of people here have already said, it's not just the strength of the program, it's what you take away from it. The advantage to it is that all of the teachers who teach there are working professionals and it's a good place to make connections and learn about the business side of performing, which is something a lot of other MT schools don't give you. It's a very different thing than going to an actual college and I think it's an individual decision as to whether that's right for you or not but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from going there who really wanted to.

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-11-27 01:18:41

"They accept a lot of people"

Because they don't care about the integrity of the program - they just need the students.

We'll start with that... and go from there. It seems to have a 'trickle down effect'. I could easily list my "beef" with it, if you like.

But you've already revealed your prejudiced bias so I'll pass. No thanks.

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2009-11-27 09:21:10

I really don't want to get into a huge fight on a message board but I already acknowledged that there are good and bad things about the program there and I gave my take on it, so I don't see how this reveals my "prejudiced bias." Yes, I went there, but I left the program for a myriad of reasons and I know it's not a perfect place but it is also not the completely worthless program that many people here seem to make it out to be...I felt I learned a lot there in spite of the aspects of the program that aren't as strong.

Posted by musicalbluemirror 2009-11-27 13:31:58

CanAsian Tenor:
Pace is pretty good from what i am hearing
CAP21 is a great program but they are no longer with any school (they just released themselves from NYU) and now they offer a 2 year intensive which you can then transfer those credits to another school to get a degree
Marymount i would have some concern with...A) they dont have a BFA in musical theatre and B) ive had some experience with some teachers and they are horrible.
AMDA is AMDA so you can decide on that for yourself

Posted by Charlie No-One 2009-12-13 20:56:27

What are good musical theater programs that have a focus on voice?

Posted by MusicSnob1 2009-12-13 21:12:06

Syracuse, University of Miami (the bm program), OCU, Steinhardt's program (NYU), U of Hartford (The Hartt School), etc., etc., etc.

Posted by javertjunky 2009-12-14 13:59:38

College Conservatory of Music - Cincinnati, OH.

I spent a year in at this Conservatory, it is great!

Posted by hl2522 2009-12-14 19:47:55

As of now Pace is the ONLY university in Manhattan that offers a BFA in Musical Theater and is actually a stellar program. The talent of the students and of the faculty is comparable to any "top" school.

Now that that is cleared up, I just want to echo the sentiments of whoever posted that you need to find the school that is right for you, not the one that has the "best" reputation. For the most part, casting directors/directors dont care where you go, thats not what gets you cast - so go where you'll be happiest and where youll receive the training that best suites you.

Posted by taintedxl0ve 2010-07-07 01:38:01

I don't really buy all the hype about NYU. I've heard from a few people who go there that their MT program is beginning to fall apart, and I've also heard horrible things about the way the students in the MT program are treated. Plus the fact that their tuition is ridiculously expensive, and I don't want to get out of college with $250,000 worth of loans to pay off.

Whoever said Pace doesn't have a BFA program is wrong. They have a really intense program, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm going to be a senior in HS in the fall and Pace has been my top choice for a year now. I'm only applying to east coast schools...right now I'm definitely auditioning for Pace, Marymount, Emerson, UArts, & BoCo, plus Hunter & Queens College as safety schools. Are there any other good MT programs I'm neglecting?

Posted by Soozie 2010-07-07 13:49:53

^^^To respond to the comments by taintedXl0ve above, a high school student, regarding NYU/Tisch and musical theater.....

NYU/Tisch's MT program is not "falling apart." My daughter attended the MT program at Tisch/CAP21 (graduated in 2009) and I am pretty up on things at Tisch, as I also advise MT applicants to all colleges as my job.

Tisch's MT program training had been at CAP21. It still is for those who are currently in the program until they graduate. But for incoming students to NYU/Tisch who are focusing on MT training, NYU/Tisch no longer will be contracting with CAP21 for studio training, but instead has started their own in house studio called New Studio on Broadway for Music Theatre and Acting. This coming fall will be the first class in that studio and all subsequent MT students in Tisch will train at that studio.

Information about....New Studio on Broadway: Music Theatre and Acting:

http://drama.tisch.nyu.edu/object/dr_newstudio.html

Information just about the MT training:

http://drama.tisch.nyu.edu/object/dr_newstudio_musictheatre.html

Also, on the right hand side of the page I just gave the link to, you can click on a pdf document of the curriculum for the MT studio.

The New Studio on Broadway’s faculty can be found here:

http://drama.tisch.nyu.edu/object/dr_newstudio_facultyannouncement

Further, going to Tisch is more than just the studio training but you also study theater at Tisch outside of studio in many courses, and of course have the great academics of NYU.

As far as how MT students are treated, my daughter loved the program and would very much recommend it to others. When you are selecting a MT program, or any college, you must talk to many who have attended and not rely on the experience of one person who may be the person who is unhappy at their college (every college has such students) or else you simply might experience the program differently than that person did as you are different people. In any case, whatever you heard as to how your MT friends were treated at Tisch, it isn’t even all that relevant anyway as incoming students for MT at Tisch will no longer be training at CAP21 and will be in New Studio on Broadway and so who administers and teaches the program are different than who your friends experienced (though my daughter was happy at CAP21 and at Tisch overall, just saying).

Lastly, the idea of $250,000 in loans is not realistic. Yes, NYU is expensive. But nobody has $250,000 in loans. If you are someone who qualifies for financial aid and has NO money at all for college, then your family’s expected contribution on FAFSA would be zero (meaning you are low income). If that is the case, the entire cost of NYU is not going to be loans. Some will be. And if you are going to attend college, usually, unless poor, a family has to contribute SOME money toward the cost. It is not typical at all to borrow the ENTIRE cost of attending NYU (or any college).

Good luck in your search. NYU/Tisch may not be for everyone but it truly is a really great MT and acting school for many, and enjoys a fine reputation as well. We could not be more pleased with how wonderful Tisch was for our daughter who had wonderful opportunities while there and after.

Posted by taintedxl0ve 2010-07-09 02:30:54

The main issue for me is the money, though. I'm paying for my tuition entirely myself, and my family doesn't qualify for any financial aid...we're not even close to being considered low income. NYU's insanely expensive tuition plus their lack of scholarships is the main thing that made me realize I can't even consider applying.

Posted by dramamama611 2010-07-09 08:10:36

MT at Tisch is faltering? Gee, tell that to all the working actors in NYC that came from there...regardless of whether or not they graduated.

Posted by AudreyTwoTwo 2010-07-09 11:56:04

Ithaca College is a good one!

Posted by Radioactiveduck 2010-07-09 17:05:16

One of the most inexpensive Mus Thtr BFA programs is at Cal State Fullerton on the west coast. Since it's a state school instead of private, tuition is about 4,000 a year.

Some of our alums are...

Dashaun Young (one of the only people who DIDN'T get fired from The Lion King last month), Mara Davi (Maggie in ACL Revival, Janet in Chaperone, and Judy in White Christmas). One of our juniors just ditched us to join West Side Story as ensemble & u/s Chino. We also have recent grads on tours...the upcoming non-eq Grinch tour, the just closed Chorus Line tour and the new Sonny, u/s Usnavi for the In the Heights tour.

Posted by Chenogleek 2010-07-09 17:41:19

I went to Northwestern and I had a blast there. It can be a little annoying with the politics but what school doesn't suffer from that. I think it's definitely great for us girls. it depends what you are looking for out of your program.

Posted by AudreyTwoTwo 2010-07-09 18:15:51

I go to Ithaca (for music ed, though). I'd like to say that Kerry Butler and Matt Cavenaugh graduated from here. So did the actor that plays Lurch in Addams (I think his name is Zachary Taylor?). And, Aaron Tveit went there for a semester but he left because he got in a show. =]

Posted by cglaid 2010-07-09 19:01:03

I love all the Ithaca College love on this thread!