Printer Friendly - Current Production of The Glass Menagerie in Cambridge, MA

Current Production of The Glass Menagerie in Cambridge, MA
Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-02-12 19:27:11

I've heard great things about Cherry Jones in this show. Does anybody think it'll make its way to Broadway this Spring?

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-12 19:35:11

I know their contracts already had Broadway clauses, but nothing is guaranteed. They're still waiting on buzz, reviews, demand, etc. The leads may be great but big-selling names they are not. Yes, Quintos is in Star Trek and American Horror Story, but judging by his Billy on the Street, he's not the draw of those.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-12 20:22:39

Would they able to do it this spring? They don't even close until 3/17.

I was suppose to see this last Saturday, but Mass. was in a state of emergency and we weren't allowed to drive. The ART was FAB about allowing us to exchange our tix even before the storm hit, and I'll be going for Valentine's Day.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-12 20:24:01

If this would transfer, I'd just pee myself with excitement. I want to see it SO SO SO SO bad!

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-12 20:27:10

Me too! I plan on wearing a diaper for a few days after they officially open in case the reviews are stellar and they announce the transfer.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-12 20:28:30

I'm just happy their contracts included Broadway clauses....just in case.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-12 20:30:45

To be honest, I've not seen their exact contracts, but a friend who works at ART told me that.

Supposedly they want to maybe extend a week or two in Cambridge, then transfer within a week or two of that and open right at the Tony cut off. Quintos has no major film/tv lined up at the moment.

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-02-12 20:37:27

Happy Valentine's day, what a great Valentine! With the closing in mid March, I assume it could make a pretty swift move to Broadway. I'll be living through you vicariously on St. Valentine's day!
Thanks to everybody for the info. As far as the incontinence problem, I would also need to be in Depends when Cherry steps out on the stage!

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-12 20:38:39

So, wouldn't they need to already have a theater lined up?

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-12 20:38:54

Who knows, the reviews are far from in. On paper, it seems glorious, but so did Mrs Warren's Profession and I didn't care for Cherry at ALL in that.

Posted by SondheimFan5 2013-02-12 20:39:20

Is it good? Has anyone seen it? This play is revived so often.

Posted by Matt Rogers 2013-02-12 20:43:02

But Roundabout just did this in 2010. Who is going to shell out $150 or so for a revival so soon? This is not going to draw in tourists.

God knows, I love me some Cherry Jones, but who knows her outside the theatre world? Well, she was amazing as the President on 24, but in this disposable society, I'd be surprised if the average ticket buyer recalls or even watched that. And Zach Quinto? He' s fantastic, but are Stat Trek and American Horror Story fans really going to race to the theatre to see this? Probably not.

I am sure it is a lovely production but everything does not have to transfer.

Posted by Matt Rogers 2013-02-12 20:43:03

But Roundabout just did this in 2010. Who is going to shell out $150 or so for a revival so soon? This is not going to draw in tourists.

God knows, I love me some Cherry Jones, but who knows her outside the theatre world? Well, she was amazing as the President on 24, but in this disposable society, I'd be surprised if the average ticket buyer recalls or even watched that. And Zach Quinto? He' s fantastic, but are Stat Trek and American Horror Story fans really going to race to the theatre to see this? Probably not.

I am sure it is a lovely production but everything does not have to transfer.

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-12 20:44:33

Also watching this in a couple of days, so will post my thoughts then.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-12 20:48:36

Of course not everything has to transfer, but that seems to have been the goal from the inception of this production.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-12 20:48:37

Of course not everything has to transfer, but that seems to have been the goal from the inception of this production.

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-15 15:58:23

I watched this last night, and thought the cast was stellar. Cherry Jones was pretty much perfect, demonstrating her ability to portray someone with such multi-layered emotions, often at the same time. Celia's final scenes were heartbreaking. Zachary was very much in command of his character, and his narration at the beginning and end were well done. Brian was convincing, charming, and conflicted as the gentleman caller.

One of the most striking things about this production is the set. The room is surrounded by a reflective liquid (probably mostly water, but I accidentally touched it and it was sticky and black), which creates a reflection of the set and actors. It also nicely emphasizes the feeling of being trapped with no sense of escape...the fire escape stairs continue to the ceiling, and the actors make their entrances either from below the stage or from a dark back entrance.

Also, I don't think this is a spoiler, but I suppose someone can perceive it to be, so you've been warned. Although there is nothing in the play that explicitly characterizes Tom to be gay, I thought there were several not-so-subtle references or choices of direction that strongly imply that he is (at least in this interpretation). And I got the sense he was infatuated with Jim...but again, that's just the way he seemed to me.

Overall, very strong production. Highly recommend that people go see it if they can!

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-15 16:31:47

I was there last night as well. I thought it was quite lovely. There were a number of absolutely breath-taking moments.

I'll agree with the set being beautiful (and Lensters quantifying of it's symbolism) but didn't like how the actors were aware of that "water". It seems like it should only have been for the audience to be aware of.

I did NOT care for Hoggett's "movement". It took me right out of the moment. I just didn't get it, at all. (Do you have a take on in, lenster?)

Performances: Jones was wonderful. Maybe it is my own age and motherhood, but this is the first time I "liked" Amanda, maybe I just understand her better. Althought I felt Quinto struggled with keeping his accent consistent, I thought he choices were interesting and valid, and really felt his struggle. Keenan-Bolger was my least favorite, but I wouldn't call her a weak link. I just wanted her to give me more: more feeliings, more layers, just "more".

I found Brian J Smith (Gentleman Caller) to be a revelation. He brought so much spirit, thought and essence to the character. You could see the high school BMOC still shining through.

Please feel free to ask specific questions.

Posted by supersam1026 2013-02-15 16:39:00

Have any of you tried to stage door? And if so, where is it and who signs? Thanks!

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2013-02-15 16:51:58

It seems that Ben Brantley is quite a fan.

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-15 16:59:31

I also thought the dance-like movements were a bit strange and distracting. But I think it works because of what Tom says during his opening monologue - "I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." He prepares the audience for an experience that might be somewhat otherwordly and ethereal. Also seen with Laura's entrance/exit.

supersam, I did stage door last night, but unfortunately, no one came out that night. The usher said they usually do, so maybe they had Valentine's plans. Interestingly, as I was walking to the T stop, I saw Zachary, who was walking his dogs with a few friends. I was going to congratulate him on his performance, but as I was passing him, his dog decided to do his business on the sidewalk, so decided to leave him alone. haha...

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-15 17:02:42

Wow, sounds like a rave from Brantley.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-15 19:23:20

How can it work if you find it 'distracting'? (Not trying to argue, just discuss.) It seemed as if all the hand movement at the dining room table had "meaning", but I'll be damned if I had any idea WHAT it meant.

I LOVED Laura's entrance and exit (and way too big a spoiler to put in writing here) -- astounding.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-15 19:50:47

I'm seeing this on Sunday and could NOT be more excited.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2013-02-15 19:58:30

Brantley's "Mr. Quinto, best known for his screen work, is the finest Tom I’ve ever seen" =I want to bang Zach Quinto.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-15 20:00:53

Yup. In fairness, he's 100% bangable, so Brantley's got the right idea.

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-15 20:40:24

The distraction was from trying to understand what those movements meant. Maybe a better word would have been "confusing." Same goes with the way Tom eats his food in the first act...also strange.

Yeah, Laura's entrance was so unexpected and magical.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-15 21:06:39

yes, those were the two secitons that drove me nuts -- it kept me from the production for too long -- but I really like what Brantley said about it...makes sense.

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-02-16 09:16:42

The path has been put down by Ben Brantley for a Broadway transfer with that review.

Could be a good fit for the Neil Simon.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-16 10:09:10

^I was thinking the same thing. Quite the love letter.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-16 10:33:40

I'm a lot of comments late, but Quinto is not currently attached to American Horror Story: Season Three. That obstacle, at least, is not there.

Posted by neonlightsxo 2013-02-16 10:56:27

Neil Simon? No way.
They should go for Circle in the Square.

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-16 11:18:19

I would assume that Quinto will be signed for the next season of AHS, unless he explicitly decides he would rather do stage work than television work. He is one of the show's major "recurring stars," and I would be shocked if FX did not renew his contract.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-16 11:20:47

No, not Circle in the Square. But I've never seen anything there in a traditional procenium setting.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-16 11:29:54

He went from a slight recurring role to one of the main roles in the second season. He may take a season off, or only do a couple of episodes that would not take much work to film.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-16 11:56:10

The above HuffPost article links to an interview he did with them about his past and current projects like The Glass Menagerie.

He says things like, "I think just where I am in my work and what I want to accomplish I think it is good to have a little flexibility and a little bit of freedom" and he brings up that A.R.T productions, like Porgy and Bess and Pippin, have been Broadway-bound (although saying that the Broadway goal is not the point of doing it). Maybe, for him, he's ready for his Broadway debut, and this could be it.

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-02-19 20:27:23

Wonderful to hear such interesting responses to my initial posting of Glass. With Big Fish coming into the Neil Simon, I don't think that would work, plus isn't the Simon way to large? My partner and I were subscribers to Circle in the Square and saw wonderful shows there, however the way you guys are describing this production could that possibly work at Circle?

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-19 20:31:25

They won't come close to selling out and being a giant hit at the Simon. It may do WELL and make money, but it won't sell out and create "demand" at the Simon. They'd be much better off going after a smaller house and creating more "demand" for tickets.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-19 20:35:02

This production WAS built to transfer. ART is having a bit of a moment and is using Porgy, Pippin, and this to up their artistic and fund-raising cred. No one in this cast is making tons of money, especially compared to if they cast giant NAMES in the rolls like most revivals do. They knew they to cast great theatre actors and create buzz. They money/weekly nut is budgeted to to a T. They can make money with only selling a certain percentage, unlike a lot of revivals that budget "we have to sell OUT full price 8 of 12 weeks to break even"

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-02-19 20:42:42

So isn't the only vacant theater in the Spring that would work budget wise for this production be Circle in the Square?

Posted by ACL2006 2013-02-19 23:08:05

Belasco??

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-19 23:15:39

This production would NOT work in the Circle in the Square. Isn't the Longacre free?

Posted by timote316 2013-02-20 00:41:25

All I know is that the timing is going to be quite hectic for Quinto. If it's coming to Broadway, pretty safe bet that it'll be right under the Tonys cut-off date... which would also be about the time Star Trek promo would be starting. I'm sure they'll make it work (they always do with that kind of stuff), but he's going to be a very, very busy man.

Posted by supersam1026 2013-02-20 00:43:56

Regarding Quinto in May with all the press, look at Jessica Chastain!! She flew back and forth from LA and New York many weeks towards the end of The Heiress' run. And she still managed to be one of the nicest people to encounter! If she can do it, I think Quinto will be fine!

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-20 09:09:42

"Regarding Quinto in May with all the press, look at Jessica Chastain!! She flew back and forth from LA and New York many weeks towards the end of The Heiress' run. And she still managed to be one of the nicest people to encounter! If she can do it, I think Quinto will be fine!"

Let's also not forget Daniel Radcliffe's press tour for the final Harry Potter movie while he was in How to Succeed. He was able to handle that and still managed to be at all of his scheduled performances.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-20 09:11:37

"They money/weekly nut is budgeted to to a T."

Subsidized, of course, by Massachusetts tax payers thanks to the ART's non-profit status. Such a nice little racket they've got going over there in Cambridge.

Posted by neonlightsxo 2013-02-20 10:45:11

The Longacre is free, but also is huge. If not Circle in the Square, the Belasco, I hope.

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-20 10:48:57

The Longacre was the first theatre that I thought of.

Posted by dreaming 2013-02-20 10:57:33

I'd love to see it make the move. (I still think if they can get the cast to stay together and do it for next season, they'd be better off. It's so crowded right now I fear it will get lost.)

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-20 13:11:28

From everything I've heard, going to Broadway was always part of the plan THIS season.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-20 14:36:13

The Longacre is free, but also is huge. If not Circle in the Square, the Belasco, I hope.

Lies? The Longacre is not huge. It's only 1095 seats, which is a measly 55 seats bigger than the Belasco. AND the Longacre is in a much better, more central location than the Belasco.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-20 14:45:56

It's not selling out a 540 seat theater in Cambridge.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-20 14:50:53

I was there this past weekend and it looked pretty packed to me. But regardless, you've got way more tourists in NYC who are going to be happy to spend money to see the President from 24 and Spock/Sylar from Star Trek/Heroes.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-20 14:58:32

In a non-musical? From the olden days? And when was Heroes on? Back when they were in junior high? Might as well count on those "So NoTORIous" fans.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-20 15:20:09

I know a ton of adults who watched Heroes religiously. It wasn't just kids. And it's not as though The Glass Menagerie is some no-name play that people haven't heard of. After all, there was a TV-movie version with Katharine Hepburn that many people have seen.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-20 16:23:03

Yes, I feel as if your across-the-decades memories are more supporting my point than yours.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-20 17:25:30

Then clearly I'm missing your point...

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-20 17:30:00

I don't get why people think "President from 24" and "Spock" will drive tourists into the theatre. Yes, people watched/loved those shows and movies but VERY VERY few people watch for them or even know their real names. I maintain if you talk to any random, non theatre person and say Cherry Jones they'll have no earthly idea who that is until you say "she was on 24." People watched and loved Friends but David Schwimmer didn't sell out an off Broadway show.

Posted by green goblin 2013-02-22 22:33:25

For those who have been to the show, how were the sight lines? I have tickets in row D of the upper section and have never been to the ART before.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-22 22:40:03

The sight lines are great. I saw the second preview and felt there were some projection issues. I had friends down in the front section who missed a design detail that was clearer to those of us in the back. Again, they were at the second preview too.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-02-23 06:51:57

Row D isn't far at all (nothing in the theater really is). I sat in row G for Menagerie, and saw everything perfectly. I've also been in the second to last row of the theater (Pippin) -- you can see everything just fine.

Posted by onesongglory2 2013-03-05 18:09:58

Any new buzz on this transferring? They are going to start running out of time if it's going to happen.

Posted by lenstersf 2013-03-05 18:50:29

According to a cast member, they are trying hard to make it happen...soon.

Posted by hpeabody930 2013-03-05 20:27:21

Saw it last week and thought that it was great. Lots of people have said it, but Brian J. Smith is incredible. In my opinion, he walks off with the show in his scene with CKB (who is also fantastic). Cherry Jones is really great, she is the first Amanda who I have actually felt for, but I wasn't terribly keen on Quinto's performance. Don't get me wrong, he's really good, but I had a hard time sympathizing with his Tom.

That said. It's a great production and it'd be great to have it transfer, if only so that more people can see Brian J. Smith's gentleman caller.

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-03-07 17:45:19

A very loud voice from the Pacific Northwest... Producers please transfer this to Broadway so I can see my favorite Cherry at the Tony awards telecast. I'm encouraging all of my DC and NYC friends to catch it if it arrives at the Belasco or the Longacre.

Posted by mar6411 2013-03-07 23:00:38

I have heard that it is coming in Sept.

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-03-10 16:35:04

The Longacre is now booked for a new show and I guess if it were booked prior to September it would have to go into the Belasco.

Posted by dave1606 2013-03-11 11:52:16

I saw this on Sunday. I really don't think I will ever see a better production of this play. Get this to Broadway now.

The staging is fantastic, and the set has so many wonderful surprises, but none of this takes away from what must be one of the best acted productions of this ever.

The true star of this though, is Zachary Quinto. From the opening moments, to the very end, I was hanging on every word he said.

He and Cherry had such great chemistry together. One of the best things about this production is that the humor is really brought out, from the sarcasm that Zach brings to the role to Cherry Jones who was milking every bit from her lines.

Celia gives a heartbreaking performance, and had me in tears by the end of the second act. I also really enjoyed Brian J Smith as well.

It is so rare to see a show where everyone gives such strong performances but this is it.

To that end the direction is superb. I don't want to spoil for anyone who hasn't seen the show, but there are so many wonderful moments, and the stylistic movements that have been added to the show are brilliant.

To put it simply this is a knockout. I really wish it would come this spring, but as long as it comes this fall I will be happy. Truly thrilling.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-03-11 11:56:30

I have a feeling you might have been figuratively hanging on every word he said.

Posted by Play Esq. 2013-03-11 12:31:57

I'm a little surprised how much everyone seems to love this production. It's very good, to be sure, but far short from brilliant. I am a huge fan of Tiffany but I felt this staging was not entirely thought-out (the "cleaning of the table" scene...if that was what Amanda and Laura were doing...seemed particularly forced). Cherry Jones is a very good Amanda, but watching her performance only reminded me of how much better Judith Ivey was at the Long Wharf Theater and with the Roundabout. Jones is giving a thoughtful performance while Ivey gave a lived-in performance: never before had I thought an actor was born to play a role. CKB was passable but somehow miscast as Laura.

For me, the real standout was Quinto. I may be reading too much into the performance, but it seemed as if he played Tom gay and the choice worked very well with the script. Brian's gentleman caller was very charismatic, but did not connect well with Celia's Laura.

All in all a very fine Glass Menagerie, but I don't feel a transfer is necessary. Gordon Edelstein's production was simply stunning (the second act lighting in particular), this production is merely serviceable.

Posted by #1CarrieFan 2013-03-12 19:19:38

If we're talking about a fall opening, I just read that American Horror Story is starting to film in New Orleans I think in September. Is Quinto not going to be returning to AHS or will he decide to make his Broadway debut with Cherry?

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-03-12 20:33:40

It has been said he's not doing season 3 but many things have been said before.

Posted by After Eight 2013-03-14 12:42:14

Thank you, dave1606, for your excellent assessment of this Glass Menagerie. I always enjoy reading your intelligent, well-thought-out posts. You have interesting things to say, and say them well, unencumbered by self-indulgent divagation.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion of this production. As many others have stated, it's a rejuvenation of a classic: fresh, bracing, and revitalized. It's like seeing a master painting cleaned of time's accretions and presented in new lighting in a museum. Illuminating.

I was also very much taken by Zachary Quinto's performance. I'd say it was the finest Tom I've ever seen, and I've seen many good ones. Quinto's dynamic approach to this restive, unhappy, and unfulfilled dreamer injects a new vitality to the role.

Cherry Jones is also offering a new take on the part and is masterful. I think it's one of her finest performances.

I do hope this comes to NY.

Posted by dave1606 2013-03-14 13:14:10

Thanks After Eight. I really did love this production and will be first in line to buy tickets when/if this comes to NYC.

Play Esq., I did see the Roundabout version of that production, and have think that it was better at Long Wharf.

I did enjoy the second act lighting, and Judith Ivey, but I did not like Patch Darragh as Tom, and thought the direction was not nearly as good as it was in this production.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-03-17 22:43:54

I saw the closing performance this afternoon after having seen the second preview. There were no changes at all between my two visits. I was closer to the stage this time.

I still appreciated everything I appreciated the first time I saw it, but nothing new revealed itself to me this time. Everything was done well, each performer takes her/his chance to shine and really does a good job of it. Now that I think about it, I felt more engaged with Celia's Laura the second time through.

It was a stellar production for ART, but I don't think there is a compelling reason for it to go to big, expensive, commercial New York. I am sure they had every hope for a Broadway transfer, but all that ART transfer mojo is still tied up in Pippin. This didn't ever seem to get that same momentum.

Not that this means anything at all, but last night Zach Quinto tweeted a picture of Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Celia in Harvard Square. I think this is one of those productions where, if you wanted to see this cast do this show, you needed to come to Cambridge.

ETA I was wrong, there was one final visual effect that I just didn't notice the first time I saw the show. It was a neat little piece of stage magic. So that was revealed to me this time!

Posted by supersam1026 2013-03-17 23:30:14

I think they will have to announce this week and then be pretty rushed if they even want a chance of hitting the Tony deadline for this season (I think I saw April 25 somewhere, but I could be wrong). I'm guessing they won't need a long rehearsal and preview period, but they still need time for all the other logistics (tech, etc.). Also ticket sales will need to get going. While it was great at ART, it looks like (at least for now) that may have been the only place to see it.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-03-17 23:38:06

There is no way it's coming in this season.