Printer Friendly - GLEE's Lack Of Showtunes These Days...

GLEE's Lack Of Showtunes These Days...
Posted by ksimone1120 2012-12-03 20:18:21

It Just Makes Me Mad Because It Started Off As A Musical Based Show, & Now It's Doing A Bunch Of Crappy Pop Songs Hint: "Let's Have a Kiki / Turkey Lurkey Time." "Gangnam Style: I Know They Are Trying To Appeal To A Different Audience But I Think They Should Go Back To Their Roots. I'm Pretty Satisfied With "All That Jazz" & "Being Alive" Though :)

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-03 20:19:23

Turkey Lurkey is a show tune (though it was barely used). I dunno, I don't watch as closely as some, but it seems like the balance of musical tunes and pop tunes is pretty much the same as it's always been...

Posted by ksimone1120 2012-12-03 20:27:08

Oh Yes, Turkey Lurkey is one, Yeah it wasn't used a lot. But this Season, So Far, there hasn't been much show tunes.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-12-03 20:27:45

They Just Did Two Episodes On GREASE For Crying Out Loud.

Posted by jpbran 2012-12-03 20:37:23

I actually read earlier this year the producers were blaming the ratings slide and music sales drop on the "less popular" music. They were making an intentional push for more recognizable pop music and more 'songs of the moment' (gimmicky crap like "Gangnam Style.")

Cause, you know the ratings slide could in NO way be due to ridiculous character inconsistencies, after-school special plots, and ear-splattering auto-tuning.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-03 20:45:22

As well as now having a bunch of pretty bland new cast members--and the fact that, really, a ratings slide was pretty inevitable especially since Glee became such a big teen zeitgeist thing so early in its life.

I thought Glee picking less well known songs had been working out for them? Fun. has said several times they think having We Are Young on Glee before it became a hit was what made it chart so quickly. *shrug*

Posted by Kad 2012-12-03 22:08:25

Glee has relied on memetic hit songs to ensure it stays relevant and that the albums sell since the start.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-12-03 22:11:35

I remember a time where BWW users were very upset and overly protective when Glee used showtunes.

Posted by GavestonPS 2012-12-03 22:39:48

Glee has relied on memetic hit songs to ensure it stays relevant and that the albums sell since the start.

Absolutely. But I think the mix used to be more 50/50 (with the first 50% including show tunes and pop/rock standards and the rest recent charters). Now it's more like 10/90, which for an old-timer like me is less interesting.

But that's to be expected: I'm about a decade outside their target demo.

However I really did enjoy learning new Katy Perry songs back when they were better mixed with Judy Garland songs. Now that it's almost all new music, it tends to sound alike to me. (And, no, the auto-tuning doesn't help.)

(ETA I should have acknowledged CapnHook's point: yes, the GREASE episodes were exceptions to what seems to be the new format.)

Posted by wicked1492 2012-12-03 22:55:29

I was greatly concerned. Glad someone brought it up.

Posted by Gothampc 2012-12-03 23:01:47

I hear Chita Rivera is very upset about this.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-03 23:04:02

I don't remember a Perry/Garland mashup! Tough it sounds kinda scary to me.

I actually liked, in the mess that was last season, some of the lesser known recent songs they used, but I do see Gaveston's point if we include classic pop/rock and standards in with showtunes. Still, this year, not to defend Glee or anything gauche like that, seems to have been relatively balanced. I think (I sorta tuned out for much of the Grease stuff).

Posted by GavestonPS 2012-12-03 23:07:32

For the record, my single favorite GLEE song to date was Darren Criss and the Warblers' cover of Perry's "Teenage Dream", a song I had never heard at the time.

So I'm not opposed to everything written since 1990.

Posted by Jane2 2012-12-03 23:22:59

I don't watch Glee but through BWW I listened to them doing Don't Dream It's Over, a favorite song of mine. They did a pretty good job. I know, it's not a show tune. I just wanted to give out a compliment.

Posted by LYLS3637 2012-12-04 09:45:35

It's a shame. The show was never good, but it was fun watching older songs (both showtunes and others) get a new exposure to a new generation. From Journey to Queen to Barbra to "Gypsy," I really enjoyed seeing what they would do next.

Then it turned into the Top 40 show, where it looked like the writers got a copy of Billboard magazine that day and went down the Hot 100 list.

That's when I stopped watching, and I don't think I was the only one.

Posted by sephyr 2012-12-04 09:53:48

well, it's getting back to the showtunes slowly but surely. This week we have Chicago, Company, and Hallelujah Baby. Hopefully more MT songs will get incorporated in the future. I love when they sing them especially Chris and Lea.

Posted by JoeKv99 2012-12-04 10:18:26

This Christmas will be a crossover episode with the New Normal's Nana visiting her sister Sue Sylvester in Lima. I can't wait to hear all the "offensive" names she'll call those Glee kids.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-12-04 10:20:14

Remember in the first season when Sue had "Sue's kids"?

"Asian... Other Asian..."

Posted by darquegk 2012-12-04 10:33:07

The tonal shift of the show from pitch-black comedy where everyone was a target to sassy comedy of empowerment and social justice did the show a great deal of harm.

On the one hand, it's become a powerful media advocate for LGBTQ youth, I don't deny that. And it's probably done them a great deal of good. But at the same time, doing so ruined the central concept of the show- a group of oddballs and losers, none particularly likable or three-dimensional, treating glee club (the lowest rung of the performing arts) like absurdly serious business in the face of a tyrannical and bigoted sociopath in teacher's clothing.

And then, one day- oh, these characters, they're not just silly people or grotesques, they're PEOPLE too! And show choir suddenly IS serious business. Any character or plot twist that didn't fit the new focus disappeared, whether it needed to or not.

Posted by rougeduck 2012-12-04 11:46:34

It's a satire that became the very thing it was satirizing...

Posted by TheatreKid3 2012-12-04 13:25:23

Yes, GLEE's cover of "We Are Young" is in fact what made Fun. go mainstream and gain a lot of popularity. I, myself, had not heard that song until it was covered on GLEE.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-04 17:57:54

I actually was wondering how they would handle NYADA when the show clearly hates showtunes.

I used to read a lot of message board commentary on Glee (like Television Without Pity) and most people stated that they disliked when an episode used a lot of showtunes.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-04 23:19:37

Wasn't Glee sold from the start as a show choir doing, mainly, pop tunes? I remember the gimmick as talked about in TV preview articles was always that it would be a musical using established pop songs--Broadway songs were never mentioned in the concept.

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2012-12-05 01:43:40

Eh. Who cares? Keep 'em away from the showtunes. They'll just screw them up anyway. Need I remind anyone of the "Rose's Turn" debacle?

The first 12 episodes of the show were brilliant, hilarious, and fresh. I honestly couldn't believe it was such a hit. It felt like a remarkably smart indie black comedy or something like Heathers or Election. Once it came back after the hiatus, it was a completely different show where character and plot where thrown out the window to accommodate 10 songs shoehorned into one episode with the sole purpose of selling iTunes downloads.

I doubt the show will last much longer. Maybe a year or two.

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2012-12-05 04:43:49

Despite the ratings dip, Glee continues to be the highest rated scripted show on FOX, so I can see it sticking around for quite sometime depending on how they work out things. I think they've done a pretty great job this season with the balance of things, and everything is on a much better par than last season, which was an utter disaster.

As someone stated - season one was fantastic, and season two had moments, but season three was beyond awful. I'm very much liking this season, and unlike last year, I'm pretty invested. As for the lack of showtunes, the show came into the public spectrum with a Journey cover, and while they've done several showtunes over the past seasons [ie: the atrocious West Side Story production last year, Rose's Turn, Take Me or Leave Me, etc] the show was born on a pop tune, so it's not surprising that they've stuck with what sells and does well.

Yes, they spent most of last season more concerned with what indie song they could turn into the next big thing rather than any and all character development or process, but I think the sparring use of showtunes has been nice, because a lot of the ones they've done [ie: West Side Story being butchered] were pretty painful. I will however admit that I think they nailed some of them - Grease was fun, Rose's Turn, Don't Rain on My Parade and mashing up I Feel Pretty with TLC's Unpretty were highlights.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-05 04:51:27

"The first 12 episodes of the show were brilliant, hilarious, and fresh. Once it came back after the hiatus, it was a completely different show where character and plot where thrown out the window to accommodate"

That's pretty much the average consensus on any Ryan Murphy show (well, up till Glee anyway--I actually prefer nutty American Horror Story more this season, but fans seem divided, and as for New Normal...).

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2012-12-05 04:57:45

I was sort of on the fence about The New Normal in the beginning, but I generally enjoy it when I watch. Yes, sometimes it can be a bit much, and it's really meta of Ryan Murphy to have a character who is essentially himself, but it's got some great things going for it - Justin Bartha is adorable, Nene Leaks is a pistol, Ellen Barkin is a hoot, and I just adore Andrew Rannells and that wee little nugget who plays Shania.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-05 05:39:54

Clumsy, you should prob avoid the thread on it in the offtopic forum For me it just doesn't have enough of the stuff that, often in a *shaking my head* way, I find watchable in Murphy's shows, or oddly compelling. It just has too much of the stuff I dislike--like a bad Glee episode without even any songs. But I respect your opinion

Posted by Wynbish 2012-12-05 11:28:08

Has anyone heard Kurt sing Being Alive yet?

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-05 12:30:52

Wow, and he isn't even singing it in a higher key!

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2012-12-05 19:11:20

Kurt's Being Alive certainly doesn't sound that bad. Better than a lot of other versions I've heard.

I wish Murphy could stay invested in a show long enough to make it worthwhile. He seems to get bored and check out. I have hope for American Horror Story due to its anthology nature. Nip/Tuck was wonderful for its first two seasons and parts of the third before it all went to hell in a handbasket.

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2012-12-05 23:31:08

Eric - I totally get what you mean, because I was so uncomfortable by the episode where Nana and Bryan and David went toe to toe over politics, because it was just so preachy and had some really ridiculous crap to it. Overall, I enjoy it for the reasons I mentioned, plus when he mocks Glee with the whole Sing thing and even those jabs at Lea and Matt when Bryan visited the set of Sing to rid them of their cell phones after Nana leaked the video of him singing.

Overall, it's nothing hugely special, but I enjoy it for what it's worth.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-12-05 23:49:32

Roses, I'm with you on Nip/Tuck. Actually--maybe I lasted a bit longer--it was when that serial rapist (a story that went on way too long) was revealed to be the bisexual guy who we had seen having sex several times, but apparently he had no penis. I sorta half watched for a while longer, but it got way too mean spirited (besides still crazy) by the time they moved to California and I never saw the last season. I have a sick form of loyalty to tv shows I once loved (and zero social life apparently), and usually try to stick with them till the bitter end, but just couldn't. By the end even the actors were openly complaining to mags like Ent Weekly that they had no idea how to play their characters anymore, things were written so inconsistently.

I think Murphy may do better now with shows like Horror Story, oddly, because he has so many projects going at once that he has to depend more on people like his largely silent Glee and AHS co-creator Brad Falchuk (who seems happy to get none of the notoriety Murphy gets). We'll see.

Clumsy, I wish there was more of the Sing! in-joke actually, it kinda reminds me of that pretty funny show Darren Star did Grosse Point, that completely mocked his time creating 90210.
I posted an article I really liked about Ryan Murphy's "world" that I thought was spot on about Nip/Tuck and Glee (good and bad), as well as how much New Normal didn't work, and how Horror Story does despite itself. I don't agree with all the credit she gives Murphy (though I thinkhe does largely come up with good concepts), and most others who read it seemed to disagree completely, LOL, but if you didn't see it, it's worth a read. http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1053820&boardname=off&dt=11&boardid=2

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2012-12-06 02:16:43

I agree with you about when the show really jumped the shark. The entire 3rd season was all about the Carver and it was building a great deal of momentum only to have a lousy "so what?" reveal on the season finale. Season 4 was all about the crazy guest stars and the main characters were put on autopilot. The later seasons were just...dear Lord! Yikes!

Posted by darquegk 2012-12-06 10:33:33

Agreed. The absurdism of the end of the Carver plot- TWO separate people working together as a team to deal with the man's homicidal insecurities over being a eunuch- derailed one of the most truly menacing characters I can think of in TV history.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-06 19:32:05

i was such a GLEEK for the first years of this show...and yes i am glad someone else noticed the derth of show tunes...for god's sake Kurt and Rachael are now living in NYC...jeez...pay some homage to Broadway...other than Grease...which i hated by the way!...the new kids though have great voices, but now i watch it more on Hulu Plus so i can skip parts of the show if i am not interested...

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-12-06 21:52:35

There!

Ya happy now?

Posted by TheatreKid3 2012-12-06 22:05:52

I was actually very impressed with tonight's episode. Glad they are shaking things up. I'm looking forward to the rest of this season.