Printer Friendly - LES MISERABLES - THE MOTION PICTURE is finally back on track!

LES MISERABLES - THE MOTION PICTURE is finally back on track!
Posted by CapnHook 2010-11-18 01:14:16

For anyone you may have actually been reading the credits during tonight's screening of LES MISERABLES' 25th Anniversary Concert, you would have noticed that a large note read something to the effect of "Coming Soon to a theater near you: LES MISERABLES - THE MOTION PICTURE."

For those who know my history with movie musicals, what I am about to say comes from the same sources as did the information from my former website:

Two pieces of information are being revealed about the plans for the film this time around: 1) It will probably be released Thanksgiving 2012; and 2), It is intended to star mostly unknowns, with the exception of 4 roles.

If all the agreements with Mackintosh and Universal go without any hitches, production of the film should begin very soon.

Personally, I've been holding my breath since 2003 when they last "really" planned on doing the film. This time...I'd keep my eye on Variety if I were you...

Posted by adamgreer 2010-11-18 01:25:40

I saw that, too, during the credits.

My favorite part was that it indicated, "Les Miserables- WORKING TITLE."

Ummm, what else are they possibly going to call it?

Posted by wonderwaiter 2010-11-18 01:26:10

I've been holding my breathe since the early 90s, but at this point I'm not even sure I WANT it to happen.

Posted by Jude-n-Sue 2010-11-18 01:51:41

Isn't Working Title a British film production company?

Posted by Chrranke 2010-11-18 04:08:09

Yes, Working Title is the name of the production company. They have made lots of great movies such as Bridget jones, Love Actually, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a funural. All those movies starred Hugh Grant so Im guessing this will as well

Posted by adamgreer 2010-11-18 07:34:20

Well that actually makes a lot more sense, though it's not nearly as amusing as my theory!

Posted by Mister Matt 2010-11-18 10:31:18

I'll believe it when I see it on screen. I just hope it's not another Phantom of the Opera or Rent.

Posted by Adam Chris 2010-11-18 10:47:46

I have that same 1992 film advertisment in a Les Miserables program. I just noticed it said an Alan Parker film. Oh, that would have been awful. He's the guy who gave us the film version of EVITA.

Posted by husk_charmer 2010-11-18 10:58:18

^ I do too! I trot it out occasionally to laugh at it.

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-18 12:18:11

"I just hope it's not another Phantom of the Opera or Rent."

I love both of those movies xD

I really, really don't want this to happen, and I am a HUGE Les Misérables fan. I think if it did though, there would be a good chance Ramin Karimloo would be in it (Even though he's too old already). I don't know why, I just do...

Posted by AwesomeDanny 2010-11-18 12:41:55

I don't want to threadjack, but...

Mister Matt, I don't know the general consensus about the Phantom film, but I personally find it superior to the stage version. I don't love the actors playing Phantom and Christine, but it did so much to clear up the plot. I also think the movie is a lot scarier and more intense. Raul also feels more important in the movie. That said, I have to agree with you about Rent.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-18 12:47:08

See, I find that to be a very strange opinion (even though I also think PHANTOM the show is a p.o.s.), but we all have our things. For the life of me, I'll never understand the rip-snorthing hate for Parker's "Evita."

Posted by Muhlethaler 2010-11-18 13:04:46

Alan Parker is a brilliant filmmaker who gave us many great films and musicals. I love the movie version of Evita. It's big and loud as it should be. Les Mis would benefit from a director with Alan Parker's vision, knowlegde of music and visual flair.

Posted by Chrranke 2010-11-18 13:31:24

I really liked evita. the only thing bad was Madonna Even Lloyd Webber thinks it would have been great if a proper singer would have done it. but it was her or no movie.

Posted by Cape Twirl of Doom 2010-11-18 14:10:16

I don't love the actors playing Phantom and Christine, but it did so much to clear up the plot.

PHANTOM has a confusing plot? I've read a lot of criticisms from people who don't like the show, but being confused by the story, that's a new one!

Posted by Colle 2010-11-18 14:28:31

I know a movie has been thought/talked out for a long while, so I am not getting excited yet until we get more details. I do wonder which roles are going to go to well known actors, probably Valjean and Javert.

Posted by Borstalboy 2010-11-18 14:37:53

No.

Posted by lotiloti 2010-11-18 15:09:12

Don't forget, he also gave us Bugsy Malone, Pink Floyd The Wall,
The Commitments & Fame.

Posted by AwesomeDanny 2010-11-18 16:22:32

Cape Twirl of Doom, isn't it a common complaint that Phantom is hard to follow? Maybe I should have phrased it differently in my original post, but I know that I'm not the first person to complain about the 1988 stage production of Phantom being difficult to follow. The movie is hard not to follow. Also, the Phantom's backstory allowed my to sympathize with him, making the ending more believable. Without that, I just wonder why Christine so passionately kisses the man who kidnapped her.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2010-11-18 17:00:15

I have never heard anyone else say that they found Phantom hard to follow. I always simply assumed she kissed the man that kidnapped her in order to save the man she loved. She was given an ultimatum, and she made her choice. The movie does present the relationship a bit differently, suddenly the phantom and Raoul become an allegory for romantic love and sexual lust respectively, but even then the ultimatum is the same.

I love Alan Parker's Evita, it is a big beautiful film. I also enjoyed Madonna in it. It is true her voice lacks the strength of any stage Evita, but that also meant that a lot of the high harmonies between Eva and Che got cut, I hate hearing those harmonies, so to me that was a good thing. Alan Parker definitely knows how to make a musical, though I doubt he'd still be attached to this.

We'll see if this movie actually gets off the ground, it has been in talks for so long, but it seems doomed to be in development hell forever.

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-18 17:44:40

I like the Evita movie. I put off watching it for ages, because I thought i'd hate it. But the movie itself was fantastic. Madonna didn't give the best performance, we know, but Johnathan Pryce have the best performance in that film.

I thought Alan Parker made it really well, although I do think it looks dated now.

Also, how funny would Patti have been as Eva's mother?

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-18 17:45:48

I'm curious how you think it looks dated?

OMG Jonathan Pryce yes yes yes indeed.

Posted by ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) 2010-11-18 22:22:47

I'm assuming the three of the four roles that are going to go to big stars are Valjean, Javert and Fantine.

Posted by jasonf 2010-11-18 22:36:40

Justin Beiber for Enjolras!

Just strap me to the barricade now.

Posted by darquegk 2010-11-18 22:46:36

And Thenardier- callin' it now. The easiest role to sing is also the funniest/scariest. Any of those Uncanny Valley comedian/tragedians will want their hands on Thenardier- the Robin Williamses, Jim Carreys, Johnny Depps, or any of those actors who seem to pass seamlessly from comedy into squick drama.

Posted by sabrelady 2010-11-18 22:48:06

"Also, how funny would Patti have been as Eva's mother?"

Only if Patti was allowed to channel the Mother from Carrie!

"i'm just doing an after the fact abortion doll, kinda like your singing!!!"

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-18 22:48:36

Don't be silly! Bieber is already going for Gavroche.

Posted by sabrelady 2010-11-18 23:28:42

He could still make a pretty good Fannette. (for a little while longer anyway ;d)

Posted by jo 2010-11-19 04:52:02

I agree that the three major roles will probably be Valjean, Javert, and Fantine. I am guessing that the 4th one could either be Thenardier or Enjolras.

Re Thenardier, I hope Michael Ball can be considered for the movie role, as he was a hilarious Count Fosco in The Woman in White and has done exceedingly well as Edna in Hairspray ( he won an Olivier for his portrayal). He has the pipes for any of the male lead roles. Michael was also the first Marius in the original cast at the Barbican in London. He has appeared in a film called England My England where he portrayed English composer Henry Purcell, so there is some experience facing movie cameras.

Posted by Muhlethaler 2010-11-19 08:14:22

I will keep saying this: Kate Winslet as Fantine, please.

Posted by adamgreer 2010-11-19 11:56:48

Because of how difficult they are to sing, I assumed that Valjean and Javert would not be cast with stars, but rather "unknown" (to the general public, anyway) performers.

The Thenardiers seems easy enough to star cast, as they're not that difficult to sing. I also think Marius and Eponine could easily be cast with "pop stars", much as I loathe the thought of another Nick Jonas type as Marius.

Winslet would be a good choice for Fantine. Also, what about Gwyneth Paltrow? She might be more of a singer than Winslet is (though to be honest, I've never heard Winslet sing).

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-19 12:01:57

I don't think there's any way in hell at all whatsoever even a little bit that this movie would be made without a name in either the Valjean or Javert role (and most likely, there will be in both of them). While it's always the theatergoer's hope that we'll get a cast of amazing unknowns in film adaptations (or at least very film-adept MT actors) due to the difficult of the music, I feel compelled to set context aright with four words: "Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd."

Posted by Muhlethaler 2010-11-19 12:32:16

Kate Winslet singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vId_4r925o

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-19 13:22:22

Alan Rickman as Javert!

Posted by jimmycurry01 2010-11-19 16:00:17

Kate Winslet does have a very sweet voice. I bought that terrible version of A Christmas Carol a few years back just so I could own her music video in the special features section. She might be able to pull off Fantine.

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-19 16:08:34

What about Hugh Jackman as possibly Javert? He is a big name and he has a pretty great voice. Not sure how it would handle this score, but its just a thought..

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-19 16:24:21

Gee... personally, I find him a bit to, uh... "clean-looking" for the role... or maybe just too classically handsome. I dunno. Totally subjective, maybe my own prejudice.

But I could see some producers thinking he's a good idea.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2010-11-19 17:06:34

Jackman was offered the role of Javert in the Australian revival tour (back in 1998ish), but turned it down to work on his film career.

Posted by jo 2010-11-19 18:03:51

In 1998 Hugh Jackman was introduced to international audiences via RNT's OKLAHOMA!, which in turn led to his first appearance as Wolverine in the first XMEN movie. It was in the concert tribute to Cameron Mackintosh ( Hey, Mr. Producer!) that he first sang Oh What A Beautiful Morning, as CM helped bring this particular stage revival to London.

But he has come back to the theatre a number of times since then ( The Boy from Oz on Broadway and in Australia, A Steady Rain). He has even sang the role of Billy Bigelow in the Carnegie Hall concert of Carousel. Not to forget that he has performed in a sung-through stage musical, Sunset Boulevard( singing and acting out songs and recitatives alike), in his early career. Interestingly, he is the only big Hollywood name at the moment who has performed regularly in both films and musical theatre.

If he is offered either Javert or even Valjean and the movie musical version of Les Mis starts filming in mid-2011, there is another movie project that might interfere with his schedule. It is called Darren Aronofsky's THE WOLVERINE

Posted by jo 2010-11-19 18:25:50

Also, the film medium is different from performing onstage. You will need actors who can act on the big screen, and the roles of Valjean, Javert, and Fantine will need proven film actors who can also sing. It is likely that the sung-through format may give way to more dialog in the movie version. And the singing will more likely take place in a recording studio, where it has a chance to come out better than directly onstage.

I agree about Sweeney Todd - it came out better than expected for me because Johnny Depp did the role justice and his lack of musical theatre experience did not in the least affect my appreciation of his portrayal.

Russell Crowe is another actor that could be considered for either Valjean or Javert. Can he sing -- rock music - LOL! But isn't that where Gerard Butler came from? It would be great casting if they can have the duo of Hugh and Russell in the movie, in either role. They have the physicality and the acting talent for the roles. Hugh is a proven singer in musical theatre ...and maybe Russell can pull it off.

Posted by Sally 2010-11-19 19:50:49

I'll be all right with whoever is cast as the leads so long as they can do justice to the score--unlike the leads in the Phantom of the Opera film. It *might* have been easier to follow than the stage musical, but some of the singing made me cringe.

Posted by Rydia 2010-11-20 06:10:03

haha yes Alan Rickman for Javert would be awesome.

I'm thinking they'll try like Lea Michelle for Eponine?

Posted by jasonf 2010-11-20 09:19:10

I was thinking I could see them trying Sasha Baron Cohen or (I hope not) Will Ferrell for Thernadier. That's a plum role for an established comedian who can sing. I would guess the "kids" would be unknowns, with the stars being ValJean, Javert, Thernardier, and Fantine. Of course the ads will play up Fantine HUGELY and those who don't know will be shocked Kate Winslet took a role where she dies 45 minutes into it.

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-20 09:28:21

Susan Boyle as Mme. Thenardier?

Posted by hottieho13 2010-11-20 23:42:40

" "I just hope it's not another Phantom of the Opera or Rent."

I love both of those movies xD

I really, really don't want this to happen, and I am a HUGE Les Misérables fan. I think if it did though, there would be a good chance Ramin Karimloo would be in it (Even though he's too old already). I don't know why, I just do..."

Ramin Karimloo wouldn't be too old to play Enjolras,he's only 32-ish and oh my goodness he is a babe!the film can have anyone else (even nick jonas or justin beaver)in it as long as Ramin is in it!

Posted by TheatreFan4 2010-11-20 23:57:45

I seem them signing Nick Jonas for Marius.

Posted by hottieho13 2010-11-21 01:30:58

"I seem them signing Nick Jonas for Marius."

Seriously?! he's playing Marius in the movie version?I hope they stick his voice in auto-tune or something to make his voice sound stronger.I saw the concert version this week and he wasn't bad.At least not Vanessa Hudgens in Rent bad.....

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-21 09:17:37

"Ramin Karimloo wouldn't be too old to play Enjolras,he's only 32-ish and oh my goodness he is a babe!the film can have anyone else (even nick jonas or justin beaver)in it as long as Ramin is in it!"

Enjolras is supposed to be about 19...

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-21 12:26:40

Yea, I could definitely see them signing Jonas for star power, even though I wasn't a huge fan of his concert performance.

Also, anyone have any thoughts about what will be cut/turned into dialogue when this is made? I would hope something like this wouldn't change much, but there are bound to be some changes when its put on the screen.

Posted by hottieho13 2010-11-21 18:25:01

"Enjolras is supposed to be about 19..."

Ramin can make it work!Mimi in Rent is supposed to be 19 and Rosario Dawson was like 24 or 26 at the time.

As much as i like Lea Michelle I don't really want her to be Eponine,plus I thought she was going to play Elphaba in the movie version of Wicked around that time.

Posted by jo 2010-11-22 10:50:02

And what about Marion Cotillard as Fantine?

She's French, an Oscar-winning actress ( as Edith Piaf), and she can sing!

Posted by Eris0303 2010-11-22 13:08:59

When I was in high school I used to say that if they made a movie they needed to cast Tim Curry as Javert. It's probably too late for that now but he's my dream film Javert.

Posted by madbrian 2010-11-22 14:12:17

I could see Hugh Jackman as Valjean rather than Javert, and I would like to see Toni Collette as Fantine. I think Catherine O'Hara and Alan Cumming could play the Thenardiers.

Posted by boredroom 2010-11-22 14:13:47

my choice for Valjean - not that anyone will care

Posted by songanddanceman2 2010-11-22 14:33:54

"Even Lloyd Webber thinks it would have been great if a proper singer would have done it. but it was her or no movie."

ALW was thrilled with Madonna in that role, on British TV he said she gave an incredible perfomance and he could not have imagined any other star bringing that role to life the way she did.
Madonna did a wonderful job on that movie and even got a Golden Globe for the role

Also Parker is one of the best filmakers around and it would have been a delight to see his Les Mis. Fame was incredible, i think people forget to just how wonderful that movie was because of the watered down TV series and Musical.

Les Mis is one that i think will be OK, but it's Miss Saigon that would have made the better movie

Posted by ggersten 2010-11-22 15:12:08

Why does the actor playing Javert, Valjean or Fontine or any character have to sing themselves? Have we learned nothing from Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia?
If the studios can dub Rita Moreno, they can dub Tom Cruise as Valjean.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2010-11-22 15:16:15

There are so many things wrong with what you just said.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2010-11-22 15:50:42

"Why does the actor playing Javert, Valjean or Fontine or any character have to sing themselves? Have we learned nothing from Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia?
If the studios can dub Rita Moreno, they can dub Tom Cruise as Valjean."

Really? Dubbing is lame. If you are going to see one person, but hear another, why not simply cast the one you hear? There are plenty of Hollywood actors capable of singing, several have already been mentioned here. The answer to to Pierce Brsonan should simply have been to not cast him, or cut his song.

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-22 15:58:48

Actually, Webber said in an interview that a lot of the keys had to be lowered for Madonna in Evita and that it took a lot of the brightness out of the show.

And as far as dubbing goes, I think this movie would work the worst for that because it is through-sung. You would never even hear the actor's voice at all..

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-22 16:18:22

jdtp12, do you happen to know where Webber's on record with that? I've heard a lot of people talk about his beef(s) with the movie, but I've never actually read anything. It makes me very curious.

I ask because, despite what I often hear people say about the score being lowered *for* Madonna, I've never seen proof of that. I'd always heard that Parker lowered it because he thought that high key wouldn't work onscreen like it does onstage and wanted a more "conversational" sound for the movie... a decision I think works very well.

http://movies.uip.de/evita/soundtrack/index.html

Here's bits of some various interviewees on the subject.

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-22 16:27:18

Yep, found the interview on youtube. He starts to talk about it at about 5:20. Possibly Webber just was misinformed?

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-22 17:03:32

Michael Barrymore did an interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber which can be found on Youtube. ALW said something like "It would have been nice if we could have got somebody who could sing the role. We had to lower the keys for Madonna"

I don't think there was any option but to lower the keys for Madonna. Could she sing Rainbow High in C#m? Hell no.

songanddanceman2, I completely agree about SAIGON.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2010-11-22 17:57:18

Thanks, jp! I will watch that when I get home from work!

Posted by kec 2010-11-25 23:28:40

Cameron Mackintosh has hinted to Baz Bamigboye (The Daily Mail) that Alfie Boe might just be the one to sing Valjean in the film version:

Posted by jdtp12 2010-11-25 23:46:20

Wow, I feel that him being in the film would be just perfect. I watched the concert in cinemas and thought he was incredible. I guess we'll see what happens.

Posted by TheatreFan4 2010-11-25 23:46:56

Do we think Jenny Galloway has paid her dues to be in the film as Mme Thenardier or do you think they're going to for a well known comedienne?

Posted by adamgreer 2010-11-26 00:15:07

Given how relatively easy the role is to sing, I would think Mme. Thenardier would be a role they could slip a celebrity into with minimal impact.

I am happy that they seem to be strongly considering Boe, who was remarkable in the concert.

Posted by jo 2010-11-26 00:43:25

I guess we'll see how the casting decisions develop.

The movie has been such a long time coming. But based on what Baz B has shared -

*Script will be sent to the producers ( including Universal Studios) before year-end 2010
*Alfie is going into a six-month run of the stage version starting June 2011

Then it seems filming won't start till no earlier than early 2012, if Alfie is cast in the role. That could take another year ( filming and post-prod) before the movie hits the cinemas!

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-26 06:12:00

Can't they cast someone who can act as Valjean?

Posted by jo 2010-11-26 07:31:56

I'd also like to see a powerhouse actor in the role of Valjean, ClapYo'Hands.

Someone with strong dramatic skills and can competently sing Valjean's songs.

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2010-11-26 09:06:04

Oh, i've no doubt Boe can competently sing Valjean (well, I know he can), I just there are better people for the role, acting-wise.

Posted by hottieho13 2010-11-27 00:15:16

a friend of mine was saying that they'll probably get Rosie O' Donnell to play Mme Thenardier.I hope not.

Posted by kev2 2011-02-21 22:33:53

If Thenardier's part is a celeb, I second Wlll Ferrel. He just has to paint a tooth black and smear on some of that silly beard make-up stuff. That guy could do this stuff in his sleep and still be funny. He sang in some of his SNL skits, in case you inquire his talent.

Posted by My Oh My 2011-02-22 05:20:22

Les Mis is unusual in that people have very different perceptions of it. A lot of people view it as an epic, thunderous, overblown, beltfest; while others go the other extreme equating it with grand opera; and still others see it as something the likes of Tom Cruise, Will Ferrell; and Rosie O'Donnell would do it justice.

Not saying they aren't talented or that Les Mis is beneath or above them, but come now, if that style of performance is all it takes to fulfill the requirements of those roles in your minds and make y'all content, then any "funny guy" or "comedienne" is fair game. And why are people just now realizing they'd like to see someone who can actually act AND sing as Valjean? You'd think people wouldn't settle for less than one who could master both in such a role.

What's next? People not noticing they've been suckered into passively accepting the "new," "updated" orchestrations?

Oh, wait...

Posted by lotiloti 2011-02-22 15:14:04

The movie IS happening. Cast will be mainly, British.It will not have 'stars'. The show is the star!

Posted by madbrian 2011-02-22 15:54:33

I don't know if it's been suggested earlier in the thread, but I could see Jim Carrey as Thenardier. If it is going to be a Brit cast, then maybe Hugh Laurie.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-02-22 16:03:54

Vanessa Hudgens is doing this still, right?

Posted by jpbran 2011-02-22 16:51:05

Queen Latifah as Cosette, Hugh Jackman as Gavroche and Nathan Lane as Javert.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-02-22 17:12:12

Then who will the Biebs play?

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2011-02-22 17:14:37

Fantine.

I would so love to see Hugh Laurie as Thenardier and Stephen Fry in drag as Mme. Thendardier!

Posted by jpbran 2011-02-22 17:18:07

"Then who will the Biebs play?"

Mme. Thenardier.

Posted by My Oh My 2011-02-22 19:08:32

As Thenard? Have you no shame?

Biebs is obviously an Eponine. Sheesh.

I still say Cammack and Alain + Boublil do cameos. And Trevor Nunn could sub as one of Hugo's paintings.

Posted by Mattbrain 2011-02-22 19:47:39

Given the current feud between Trevor Nunn and Cameron Mackintosh, I don't think Trevor's gonna wanna be a part of this.

Posted by crewdude 2011-02-23 04:02:23

I was working on Oliver Stone's The Doors back in 1989/90. We were filming in San Fran. We were told Cameron was pursuing Oliver to direct the film version. We were all given comp seats to see the show. I left at intermission. I was bored and thought the show ran too long.
I wound up working on the show for a 17 year association. Surprisingly enough, I gained a fondness for the show over the years. Unfortunately, that fondness dwindled as Cameron "tinkered" with the show more and more over the years. Yes, I remember ALL of the "little" changes. Yes, none of them improved the actual production but they did help the bottom line.
The dangling carrot of the film version was always thrown out there. As were SO MANY castles on a cloud. So, basically, don't be looking to book your tickets on Fandango anytime soon.

Posted by kev2 2011-02-23 12:11:21

The show's always better with British actors. I guess I couldn't really give a crap who's in it. Just film it already!

Posted by jo 2011-02-24 05:18:03

Tom Hooper, who's a leading contender for Best Director for this year's Oscars ( for King's Speech), has been offered to direct Les Miserables --

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/02/tom-hooper-iron-man-3-kings-speech-les-miserables.html

>>While Hooper won't be steering Stark Industries, another person who has worked closely with him said he was weighing an offer to direct "Les Miserables," a new version of the classic novel and Broadway musical set in 19th-century France. The movie, which is being developed by "Atonement" producer Working Title, is conceived as a big-budget musical.<<<

Posted by chrissydee 2011-02-24 08:35:57

Beiber should Play everyone. In different wigs.

Lea Michele was offered the recent(ish) Broadway production, but turned it down for Spring Awakening- I imagine they offered her the o2 concert- as Eponine was the last one to be announced and they were probably trying to court her.

I am for this movie being made- but it IS a movie, and therefore it needs strong strong actors. Im not feeling the Boe love, sorry.

I am loving Hugh Laurie for Thernadier (Or Patrick Stewart for something totally different.... actually, Patrick Stuart 10years ago for Javert!)

I also agree that Miss Saigon would be a STUNNING film, the landscapes and locations would be epic.

And yes, Evita (though lower) is a damn good film.

:) My two cents.

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2011-02-24 09:27:45

I think Lea Michele would be brilliant casting as Eponine...I was so expecting her to be cast in the concert.

Posted by Borstalboy 2011-02-24 09:39:25

BWW says Tobe Hooper is in talks to do this! I can't wait!!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-02-24 09:50:54

I think Tobe Hooper is naturally the only living director with enough guts to tackle this project. Look at his body of work and tell me that he can't rip apart these characters to get to the meat of who they really are.

Amazing choice.

Posted by Borstalboy 2011-02-24 10:02:29

Oh, and can you imagine the ending with all the dead characters coming back, floating in the windows like the kid in SALEMS LOT? SO psyched!

Posted by jdtp12 2011-02-24 10:05:18

Eh, it said Tom Hooper, not Tobe Hooper..

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-02-24 10:06:55

Eh, I read Tobe Hooper, not Tom Hooper..

And when they all come floating back, Fantine's the one with the chainsaw and this time...it's personal.

Posted by bryan2 2011-02-24 10:27:23

Hugh Jackman - would be amazing

Posted by willep 2011-02-24 12:06:47

My friend and I were discussing this last night and decided we would like to see Tim Curry as Thenardier.

Posted by TimFan 2011-02-24 12:11:19

Thanks for the insider info, I've been waiting my whole life for a Les Miserables film. They better shoot in France (or Europe, at least)!

ALSO there's a ticket contest going on for the touring production of 'In The Heights', it would mean alot to me if you could click to vote for me to win. Thanks! http://www.beintheheights.com/timwalker

Posted by ClapYo'Hands 2011-02-25 09:59:56

Posted by Urban 2011-02-25 21:36:38

Catherine Tate as Mme. Thenardier.

I would die happy. :)

Posted by sueb1863 2011-03-06 11:18:19

Hooper is also interested in doing a film about the tulip mania that gripped Europe in the 1600s. He might do that one instead, guess we'll see! I loved 'The King's Speech' but not sure how Hooper would do with a musical. There are going to be some big challenges here.

I wonder if this means William Nicholson's done with the screenplay?

I'd love for Hugh Jackman to play Valjean. This is going to be a hugely expensive movie and I can't see them sinking money into it without having a known name to play Valjean. I think Jackman could pull it off. He can do tender *and* menacing (I can see him doing a pretty good Wolverine glare at Javert), and we already know he can rock the muttonchops. :)

As for other casting, I'm betting they'll try Sacha Baron Cohen as Thenardier, I thought he did very well in Sweeney Todd. Or, is Alun Armstrong too old for the part? He's done film work and it'd be great to have one original cast member in there somewhere! He seemed pretty spry at the 25th anniversary show...

Posted by SporkGoddess 2011-03-06 14:20:10

I think Hugh Laurie's too dignified to play Thenardier.

Posted by aasjb4ever 2011-03-06 14:24:51

Has anyone considered the fact that Johnny Depp is probably the first choice for Thenardier?
The character is literally Jack Sparrow in France.
Scuse me while I go vomit.

Posted by sueb1863 2011-03-06 18:50:42

While I'm sure Depp would have a ball playing Thenardier, I doubt they'll go in that direction. It's a relatively small part and Depp would break the bank, and distract from the main characters. If they were going to get him at all, it'd have to be for Valjean or Javert, and I can't see him being interested in either one. They aren't quirky enough. But hey, we'll see!

I do hope that whoever they get can do the menacing, sinister side of Thenardier as well as the comedic side. It's sort of a shame that they couldn't keep his fate from the book in the show. In the novel, Thenardier takes the money Marius gives him and becomes a slave trader. It's just the sort of thing a scumbag like him would do!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-11-28 21:16:20

*bump*

This thread is a fun read now that the movie has finally been made.