WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Friday, April 11, 2014 - DISASTER! Fades, BOOK OF MORMON Tweets, LADY DAY Opens and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle this weekend...
- TONIGHT: Off-Broadway's DISASTER! closes off-Broadway, leaving a destructively fun run in its wake!
- TONIGHT: The stars of BOOK OF MORMON, Nic Rouleau and Ben Platt are set to live-chat with fans on Twitter this evening.
- TONIGHT: BULLETS OVER BROADWAY opened last night, so please check out our Review Roundup here, and come back later for curtain call pics and party interviews!
- On SUNDAY: LADY DAY, starring the incomparable Audra McDonald, opens on Broadway, so be sure to tune in for our Review Roundup!
- Also on SUNDAY: TIL DIVORCE DO US PART ends its off-Broadway run at the DR2 Theatre.
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- Vineyard Theatre announced its 2014-15 season, featuring the World Premiere of the musical BROOKLYNITE, helmed by Michael Mayer, and more!
- This news came out of left field but not in a bad way! Stephen Colbert will be replacing David Letterman after he retires as the host of THE LATE SHOW!
- Two April readings announced starry casts: THE CHOCOLATE LEGACY with Keala Settle and more (here), and NOBODY LOVES YOU, with Jarrod Spector, Rebecca Naomi Jones and more (here)!
- Sarah Ruhl's THE OLDEST BOY will get its World Premiere this fall with Lincoln Center Theater.
- Off-Broadway's THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES - or, LOS MONOLOGOS DE LA VAGINA - welcomed its first Spanish-speaking stars today.
- The suspense is building! The Tony Awards Committee will meet for the final time on April 25.
- We got a first look at highlights from BULLETS OVER BROADWAY and Paper Mill Playhouse's SOUTH PACIFIC (click here) in New Jersey!
- ONCE beat SPRING AWAKENING's record with 860 performances on Broadway...
- The ALADDIN cast will make an appearance on THE VIEW on Tuesday, performing 'Prince Ali'!
- SPIDER-MAN 2 star Andrew Garfield surprised the audience at a performance of Punchdrunk and the National Theatre's THE DROWNED MAN, appearing in the ensemble while in the UK to promote his new film.
- And finally, BWW has added an updated feature for our New York City cabaret listings - learn more here!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Today is little gloomy for a Friday - a high of 63, cloudy, with showers off and on. The rain continues into Saturday, but temperatures rise to 67, finally peaking at 70 with mostly sunny skies on Sunday!
Quote of the Day: An interesting perspective from one of Ireland's best (and bloodiest) playwrights...
"Theatre was an art form that I didn't really respect, and because I wanted to shake it up and do different things on stage, I was able to combine all the things I'd learnt through writing on my own."
-- Martin McDonagh
What we're looking forward to: HBO's adaptation of THE NORMAL HEART, airing late next month. Check out those handsome men on the cover of THR... It's been a highly coveted project for years, ever since Babs wanted a crack at taking the play to the big screen. And no wonder, considering how important and relevant THE NORMAL HEART is today. We can't wait!
Video of the Day: With the great news still ringing in our ears, watch Stephen Colbert's most recent guest appearance opposite Dave Letterman on THE LATE SHOW. We'll have to see if he can shed the character and show us the real host. What do you think of the choice?
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Joel Grey, who turns 82 today! A prolific stage actor, Grey has starred on Broadway in The Normal Heart, Anything Goes, Wicked, Chicago, Cabaret, The Grand Tour, Goodtime Charley, George M!, Half a Sixpence, Stop the World - I Want to Get Off, Come Blow Your Horn, The Littlest Revue and Borscht Capades. He won the 1967 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for Cabaret, and won Drama Desk Awards for 1997's Chicago and 2011's The Normal Heart. He has appeared in movie versions of George M!, Cabaret and The Fantasticks. Grey's recent TV credits include appearances on CSI, Warehouse 13, Nurse Jackie, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Brothers & Sisters, House, Alias, Crossing Jordan, Law & Order, Oz, Buffy and many more.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!