WAKE UP with BWW 5/26/14 - Memorial Day, SUBMISSIONS ONLY and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: It's Memorial Day! Chill out and catch up on SUBMISSIONS ONLY, and have fun partying with friends and family.
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Laura Osnes, Jenn Colella and more guest star in today's new episode of SUBMISSIONS ONLY. What better way to spend your day off than catching up with your favorite characters? Watch it HERE!
- And if you want to catch a Broadway show tonight, check out our Memorial Day calendar.
- Plus, on May 21, the Tony Awards held their annual Creative Arts reception -- check back for BWW's interviews with the nominees later today, and keep catching our exclusive coverage of last week's STARS IN THE ALLEY concert!
WHAT YOU MISSED THIS WEEKEND:
- Ryan Murphy and Larry Kramer's movie adaptation of THE NORMAL HEART aired on HBO last night. Who watched it? What did you think?
- We learned more about this year's Tony Awards ceremony; read who will be performing and watch a new promo!
- Wow! FROZEN has become the No. 5 highest grossing film of all time with $1.219 billion globally and $818.7 million overseas.
- Strange news across the pond this weekend -- Lindsay Lohan wants to be onstage in the West End...
- We also got a first look at London's THE PAJAMA GAME, as well as IN THE HEIGHTS at Southwark Playhouse (here), and a sneak peek in rehearsals with the new West End cast of MAMMA MIA!
- STOMP is looking for new West End theatre after news that Cameron Mackintosh will take over and revamp their current home, the Ambassadors.
- Eden Espinosa has been nominated for a 2014 Independent Music Award...
- Broadway actor Matthew Cowles passed away last Thursday at the age of 69.
- The final season of GLEE will likely not be running for a regular 26 episodes...
- And finally, tickets are now on sale for our next Joe's Pub concert 'THE LORD & THE MASTER', featuring songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Stephen Sondheim!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Hello, summer! Enjoy a toasty, rain-free Monday for your Memorial Day festivities. Partly cloudy with a high of 84 degrees.
Quote of the Day: Flaws simply spawn more creativity...
What we're re-reading and looking forward to: Mark Haddon's THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME. After last week's casting news for the Broadway production this fall, we can't wait to see the novel played out onstage!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Helena Bonham Carter, who turns 48 today!
Carter's upcoming films include Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella, as well as Suffragette. She will also be reprising her role as the 'Red Queen' in Through the Looking Glass for Disney's Alice in Wonderland sequel. Among her recent big screen credits are The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, Burton and Taylor, The Lone Ranger, Tom Hooper's Les Miserables, Great Expectations, the Harry Potter series, The King's Speech and more. She is known for collaborating with her life partner, director Tim Burton, in many films; she played 'Mrs. Lovett' in Burton's adaptation of Sweeney Todd, opposite Johnny Depp in the title role. Bonham Carter also starred in Trevor Nunn's film version of Twelfth Night in 1996.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!