Page: 1

Hot Mikado Tour

Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Hot Mikado Tour#1
Posted: 6/25/09 at 7:10am
As someone vaguely mentioned on a thread about something else months ago, the Watermill actor/musician production of Hot Mikado is doing a short tour this autumn, starting at the watermill itself o n september 3rd. the rest of the dates now confirmed are listed below. Really looking forward to seeing this at the Lowry. I knw its not the general opinion on here but i've not yet seen an a/m production i didn't love.

21 Sept - KINGSTON, The Rose Theatre
28 Sept - GUILDFORD, Yvonne Arnaud Theatre
5 Oct - SALFORD, The Lowry
12 Oct - OXFORD Playhouse
19 Oct - EASTBOURNE, The Devonshire Park
2 Nov - ABERYSTWYTH Arts Centre
9 Nov -IPSWICH, New Wolsey Theatre
16 Nov - GIRONA Temporada Alta Festival
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#2
Posted: 6/25/09 at 7:41am
Hmmm i think im all actor/musician out lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#2
Posted: 6/25/09 at 5:49pm
I saw the original Watermill production back in 2006 and it was great. I'll be seeing it again on tour (probably in Aberystwyth as that's the nearest to me) - one of my best friends is in it!

This is the first touring production by Craig Revel Horwood and Sarah Travis's new company set up to stage actor/muso shows - so there will be more to follow!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#3
Posted: 6/26/09 at 10:40am
re: Hot Mikado Tour
Great production at the Queens back in the 80s. Alison Jiaer on top form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AVHrPAlCcI
It could work as an a/m set up as it will mean the actors will be playing some really cool music themselves.
Updated On: 6/26/09 at 10:40 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#4
Posted: 6/27/09 at 4:42am
I loved this show 100% but I think it fell between 2 audiences: the traditionalists didn't like G&S messed with. Everyone else wasn't interested because it was G&S trying to be more modern. Pity.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#5
Posted: 6/27/09 at 5:50am
I absolutely HATE G & S and was dragged by my pony tails to see 'Hot Mikado' and loved it.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#6
Posted: 6/27/09 at 6:52am
Show us the pony tails!

And Alison J was worth the ticket alone, but I also liked Sharon Benson playing a role with some humour.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#7
Posted: 6/27/09 at 8:31am
Same here, mama - I detest G & A with a vengeance. lol I only went to see the 2006 Watermill production because my friend was in it - and I loved it. It was Craig Revel Horwood's first actor/muso show with Sarah Travis at the Watermill and it was a superb production, setting the standard for Martin Guerre & Sunset Blvd that followed. It's an ideal show for a/m and I think it could do really well on tour (the Watermill production was a sell-out).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#8
Posted: 6/29/09 at 9:01am
Not even Uplands Arts Club Bob?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#9
Posted: 6/29/09 at 9:22am
I was in a concert a few years ago which included 25 minutes of Uplands Arts singing G & S. Half way through I thought I had died and gone to hell. lol
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hot Mikado Tour#10
Posted: 6/29/09 at 10:01am
I also hate G&S a rational hatred compounded by a little madam in a student production of 'Pirates..' telling me musicals had no 'proper' music in them.

That and the fact I had to wear what was basically a bed sheet on stage in the same production.

I'd be willing to give this production a go though if I find myself around Aber at the time it's on.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#11
Posted: 6/29/09 at 10:11am
Go, its fun.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Mikado Tour#12
Posted: 6/29/09 at 1:23pm
Oh dear. I saw a big splashy regional Equity production of Hot Mikado in the mid-90s that I think was toying with the idea of a Broadway transfer. I absolutely hated it. The score had some pleasant moments with the new orchestrations when they were in the big band period, but it was rather inconsistent and to me, came off as a sloppily constructed mess.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian