Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#1
Posted: 6/22/09 at 4:25pm
If you live on the London/Kent borders like I do Heathrow is not the easiest of airports to get to.

Good News.....So when I fly out to New York, I am flying from Gatwick with BA.

Bed News.............they are axing the route in October.

Good News........BA is starting a new route in September from London City Airport to New York twice daily, only up the road from me.

Bad News........The flights are priced form £5000.

Bad News........I guess I will be heading back to Heathrow.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#2
Posted: 6/22/09 at 4:54pm
ouch !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#2
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:02pm
The London City Airport BA flights are business class only, no economy. They will stop off in ireland on route to NY but fly direct back to the UK.

I flew from London City Airport yesterday for the very first time- what stunning airport.
Heathrow -T5 4/10
London City -10/10

NO, it wasn't business class i flew.
Updated On: 6/22/09 at 05:02 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#3
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:11pm
Did you use the BA flight to Barcelona? Think the flight is about 09:00 in the morning, great time too.

I like City Airport flew to from Madrid from there earlier this year, have used this before as it is close to home and easier than ever with the DLR going to Woolwich Arsenal, but I will not be flying to New York for £5000!!!!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#4
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:14pm
Have a great time PoL. I'm really looking forward to hearing about Billy. I'll be expecting a review each for both performances.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#5
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:17pm
They have changed the flight to 1.15 to BCN and it leaves BCN at 6pm -brilliant timing.
The DLR is rather fab too, 35/40 mins from the West End.

sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#6
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:41pm
Have a great time! Can't wait to read your reviews!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#7
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:53pm
Thank you for all your kind comments, I am flying out tomorrow at noon from Gatwick, should be landing at 2:15 fingers cross, hope to drop my case off and get down to TKTS for either Little Mermaid or Mary Poppins, seeing these tomorrow as they start at 8pm, see the other one the next Tuesday for the exact same reason, as I will be coming up from Washington D.C.

Got thickets for Billy Elliot for Wednesday matinee, see whats available from TKTS for the evening. Booked to see Hair on Thursday and Friday got my ticket for South Pacific.

Thank you again for your kind comments x
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#8
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:54pm
I guess it's the reverse for you to what it is for me - Heathrow is much more convenient from South Wales and I try to avoid Gatwick. (Had to fly back there from Vegas on my last trip and the journey home took forever lol.) However, I absolutely detest LHR Terminal 5 - ridiculously oversized. So now try to avoid BA unless the price is very much cheaper than Virgin. VA from terminal 3 is my preferred gateway.

Anyway - wherever you fly from, a trip to the Big Apple is always more than worth it - so have a great time!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#9
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:56pm
Hair and South Pacific would be on my list as well.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#10
Posted: 6/22/09 at 6:13pm
No Next To Normal on your list, phantom? I really cannot stress enough how fantastic a show that is. I urge you not to miss it. Great as some of the shows you mentioned are, NTN is seriously better than all the others on your list combined IMO. I can't wait to see it again when I'm there in October. And I can't stop playing the CD!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#11
Posted: 6/22/09 at 6:15pm
Thanks for your kind comment Bob. x

Well terminal 5 does not sound to good, I be flying into terminal 5 on way back, as the Gatwick flight leaves at 6pm and would mean I miss the matinee (which I have booked to see West Side Story), so unfortunately I will have to cross London from terminal 5, good thing about using terminal 5, is that I can keep my eye open for Mama's laptop!!!!!
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#12
Posted: 6/22/09 at 6:54pm
do have a fab time ! i reccomend shrek and 9 to 5 ! and the DLR is lush !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#13
Posted: 6/22/09 at 7:27pm
I use City Airport whenever possible, it's so relaxed there it's like getting a bus! You even get to walk across the tarmac to your flight, just like in the old days (is anyone else watching The Secret Life Of The Airport on BBC 4?).
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#14
Posted: 6/22/09 at 9:17pm
Disney!?
Do 'Mermaid' before 'Poppin'sĦ cos 'Mermaid' wont be done in London!
Have a fab and wonderful time.
WiFi is free at London City!!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#15
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:52am
Some shows start at 7:00 P.M. on Tuesday so make sure you double check at TKTS.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#16
Posted: 6/23/09 at 6:13pm
Thanks for all your kind words, I feel humbled, love you all.xxxxx

I am in the Times Square centre (a place that serves no real purpose),using the free internet service, going over to see Mary pops soon, good to see this great show again and be good to see the New Amsterdam Theatre too.

Can someone be my bitch and find out for me when Stephanie J Block will be back in 9-5. cheers x

Post back soon.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#17
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:48am
Mary Poppins****

I was at the New Amsterdam Theatre to see Mary Poppins again, I only seen the show before, just the once at the Prince Edward Theatre, which I loved, forward now to the New Amsterdam last night, what really hit me is that this is the wrong theatre for this show, the proscenium seemed way to high.

This Mary Poppins maybe familiar to some of you in London as she was being played by Scarlett Strallen? Burt being played by a Australian Adam Fiorentino, both capable leads.

Put me in front of the Mary Poppins DVD and I would hate it and probably hate you too, but hey dosen't this show just work on stage? Where you have some illusions, Mary flying off everywhere, Birt walking upside down on the proscenium, just great theatre. This show has Cameroon magic all over it and yes I enjoyed!

Today

I am going to take a walk across central park to the Met and occupy my morning in there, my matinee has already been arranged for Billy Elliot, this evening TBA at TKTS.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#18
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:51am
POL, the Times Sq Visitors Centre is one of the oldest cinemas in New York. At least its still there.

Haha, i know exactly where you are standing- along the back wall with the free Yahoo booths.
That is where i had my first BWW account set up when I was called Wickedboy2 - just been to see Wicked and my friend made that name for me!
Its a great place for picking up fliers if you collect like I do.
Updated On: 6/24/09 at 07:51 AM
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#19
Posted: 6/24/09 at 11:08am
Who did you see as Jane and Michael?

According to Broadwayunderstudies.com Stephanie is back today.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#20
Posted: 6/24/09 at 1:38pm
I know you wont be reading it for a while but Phantom I'm so jealous that you got to see (or really are about to see)Keean as Michael!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#21
Posted: 6/24/09 at 1:44pm
"I am in the Times Square centre (a place that serves no real purpose),using the free internet service."

And I thought you were posting from your mobile.

I guess you're just about to go into Billy now.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#22
Posted: 6/24/09 at 2:09pm
Billy just started and he is seeing David Alvarez as Billy and Keean Johnson as Michael. Keean is an understudy who very rarely goes on but is supposed to be phenomenal!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#23
Posted: 6/24/09 at 11:33pm

Billy Elliot*****

WFW2 You are correct I saw the original Billy, David Alvazez and by the sounds of it saw a new michael also. people who post on here regular know what my opinion on Billy is, so won't do a rerun, want to point out some changes to the London production.

It has been moved from Durham to Arkansas, with the state Governor Clinton, in dispute with the trade federation, over closing slate pits, phew, they could of done that.

1, After the first dance class in the beginning, Billy does a few moves by himself in the hall, big silhouette of Billy is on the back wall.

2, When talking of ballet dancers being gay, Wayne Sleep out and replaced by Ruldolp Noureff?

3, Cross dressing scene remains mainly unchanged, except where it gets glitzy, instead of having 1 glitzy back drop, there is about 5 with LED lights.

4, Scene at the end of the first half, (angry dance) when Billy is dancing in his room three silhouettes appear on the back wall, rest as per the Tony's.

Second half

5, Start of second half, Santa Clause and assistant that stand outside the curtains for the raffle has got the chop.

6, Senator Michael Hestletine is no longer a 'wanker' that?s been axed.

7, He could be a star, completely reworked instead of Tony stopping his dad going down a pit, he catches him up later at a cafe, they have a bloody punch up, song still stands.

8, A new song added where the strikers give Billy money in a hard hat in the social club, goes a bit like "have this and this".

9, A more flashy curtain for the Royal Ballet, which is mainly silver, when Billy does his 1st audition, a curtain of a empty theatre is behind him.

10, Electricty goes on longer, with more movement.

11, For final bow, a big sign of Billy comes down on stage.

Glad to see "a cornish pasty from the Co-op" still in, sounds better than "a bagel from Duane Reade".

Playbill has translations for terms such as, Michael Hestletine, NCB, A Geordie, A Pasty and the Co-op.

Billy loved at the Victoria Palace, London and at the Imperial, New York.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cleared to take off to Broadway!!!#24
Posted: 6/24/09 at 11:37pm
Shrek***

What can I say, like your favourite candy, but becomes annoying when it sticks to you teeth, family show, not as good as The Lion King, Beauty or Mary poppins, but fun.

Brian D'Arcy Jame, Sutton Foster and Christopher Sieber outstanding, Donkey annoying as hell!!!!