Tick... Tick...

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tick... Tick... #1
Posted: 5/14/09 at 12:40pm
BOOM!
So it had it's first night last night, due to f***ing exams, i am only seeing it ONCE! Which is tomorrow (Friday) did anyone see it last night, or is going tonight, or is indeed going any other nights, I havent heard great things bout last night so far, let's hope it picks up!
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Tick... Tick... #2
Posted: 5/14/09 at 2:38pm
I went last night.

tick, tick... BOOM! is my favourite show ever and I have waited years to see it. The music alone makes the show for me which is probably a good thing because it wasn't the best production... I think the main problem was lack of rehearsal tbh. "Sugar" in particular was bad. Julie was fabulous, I love her voice. I could put up with Leon Lopez. I don't know the other guy's name but I don't think he sung particularly well and he messed up a bit (but then I do know the show inside out).

I think (hope) it was just first night problems. I'd be going again and again if I didn't live so damn far away but, like I said, I love this show!
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tick... Tick... #2
Posted: 5/14/09 at 4:21pm
Paul Keating, and that's exactly what I have heard!

BUT, what you ALL wanna see is an Amateur Production that is going to happen 2nd to 5th September 2010 in Christchurch (Near Bournemouth)!
Updated On: 5/14/09 at 04:21 PM
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tick... Tick... #3
Posted: 5/16/09 at 3:07am
Right then,
This is a slow starter, the opening scene has no pace, and this also happened in the opening song. Which is a shame, as it is such a great, up tempo, rock song. I had a problem with paul's singing all the way through, he wasn't strong enough, and on more than one time, he got out of time with the band! But, his acting was MARVELOUS, his final few scenes, had me in tears, he gave such a moving performance, and this man is the first to enter, the last to leave at the end, and doesnt go off ONCE in the middle! That must take ALOT!
Leon Lopez was a brilliant Mike! He has a great singing voice, and in Sunday, along with Julie Atherton, he was HILARIOUS! But his acting was week at times, there's a very sad scene towards the end, when he tells Jon he's dying ,but he put no emotion into it.
The star was Julie, her singing was the strongest, and her acting never once faltered. Her solo song, was the best thing I have ever seen on stage, so powerful, it really sent shivers down my spine, and she was only stood still aswell, this REALLY showed off her voice! Her portrayal of Rosa (Jon's agent) was brilliant, a cross between, Lucy the Slut, Mrs Thistletwat, and Joey's agent Estelle off friends!

I personally liked their set, and will be stealing a fare few key points of it for my productio! (But dont worry, I wont produce a carbon copy of this show!)

In general, this is not the best show I have seen, it is not the most powerful show, but itis easily the most beautiful show I have ever witnessed!
luceecool
Understudy
Understudy
re: Tick... Tick... #4
Posted: 5/18/09 at 7:51am
I went Saturday matinee.You're right, the pacing was really patchy- 30/90 was so static and the band really weren't loud enough, the pace picked up a bit after that. The direction was great in some numbers (loved No More) but then really stale in other numbers (Louder than Words really should have had a great impact than it did). I didn't like Keating as Jon (and yes his tuning did seem a bit off and he fluffed a line or two), I didn't like the direction he took the character in- I always saw Jon as a bit geeky with a vulnerablity about him. Keating's Jon was really too aggressive. Leon Lopez was great as I expected, he was one of the few good aspects of Rent Remixed. I'm in two minds with Julie Atherton, really like her acting but her voice confuses me. The tone of it makes it sound like shes not putting any effort in yet she is so powerful but controlled with it, as shown in Come to Your Senses.
The set, for me, didn't radiate the squalor that Jon lives in. Although the grand piano worked really well as part of the set in creating levels surely he wouldn't be able to afford a grand piano?
I still love the show (would love to direct it) but I was slightly disappointed by this production I think I just expected more.