Those little town blues are melting away - I'm off to New York, New York!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Right, I'm all packed and ready to go! Will be leaving tomorrow morning for London (seeing Sister Act tomorrow night) and then flying to NYC on Friday. I'll be seeing 7 shows while in New York:
Rooms
Billy Elliot
Shrek
Hair
Next To Normal
Happiness

Once I leave I will have little or no internet access while away - but will report back my views on the shows after I get home (which will be the 22nd - I head to Vegas from New York b4 heading home). I'm sure the board will survive without me LOL.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
put me in your suitcase damn it lol

Have a great trip, you will love Next To Normal and im dying to hear your thoughts on Happiness and 1776
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
looking forward to your observations, you can do the groundwork.

Because everyone says next to Normal is awesome and its nominated for a Tony, I think I will pay this show a visit.

Are you going to hook up with Mama? Think he isin New York same time.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks SADM and Phantom. I'm really looking forward especially to Next Of Normal. And I just read that the cast are doing a "performance and CD signing" at Barnes and Noble next Tuesday at 4 pm - so I'm hoping to get there for that too!

mama and I were planing to meet up on Saturday lunchtime but now he's not flying out until Sat morning, so we'll have to give that a rain check. (I'll be staying out in Queens for a few days with friends so I won't be back in Manhattan again until after mama goes back home.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
have a brill time ! Shrek is brilliant !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm afraid your trip coincides with Kerry Ellis' last performance in Wicked. You must rearrange.

If you can't, have a wonderful time and please try to convince someone to bring Hair over here!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What are you seeing in vegas?

Have a great time.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Matt, lovepigeon & jacs!

"What are you seeing in vegas?"

Not planning on seeing any shows while there. Hoping to take some trips out to the Canyon, Lake Havasu City and perhaps Monument Valley. Plus a little gambling!

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 11:36 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shame you might not meet each other really, hope you have a great time. broadway does not seem the same now that Hairspray and Spamalot are not there.
Updated On: 5/6/09 at 12:44 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have a great time Bob.

Looking forward to a Brit perspective on the Broadway production of Billy Elliot.

And a historian's perspective on 1776!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Have a great time - please report back on 1776 and Happiness inparticular, would be very interested in hearing first-hand reviews.

Would also be keen to hear your views on BE in NY - I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be (thought I'd be blown away by it, so maybe I set my sights too high?)

I'm quite jealous about the Next To Normal signing - it was an unexpected highlight of my recent trip and I would love it to get the 'Best Musical' Tony nod. I don't mean to be disloyal to a great British musical like BE, it just didn't feel that fresh or exciting when I saw it in New York last year. re: Those little town blues are melting away - I'm off to New York, New York!
Seen some shows in my time....
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have a nice time bob ! if you get a spare chance and your feeling down ! 9 TO 5 will uplift you ! wish i had seen next to normal instead of lil mermiad but hey ho ! lol
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep I leave on Saturday morning. Land at JFK at 11.30am.
I will do all possible to get to a matinee on that afternoon.
It should be '9 To 5'.
I hope the traffic isn't bad on a Saturday late morning. Staying midtown so fingers crossed.
'Next To Normal' on Saturday night and 'Blithe Spirit' Sunday matinee!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt - thanks for the advice re 9 to 5 - but I thought long and hard about booking it and decided, after hearing the songs on the website (which I hated!) that it is just not my kind of show. But I'm really excited about all the shows I have booked!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mama - have a great time on ur trip! Maybe I'll even see you flash by as u rush to get to 9 to 5! lol

I'm now about to set off for the station - so will post a report when i get home.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope you enjoy your trip!

I have seen some of the shows on your list, and I think you will really enjoy them!

PS- Just saw Blithe Spirit yesterday and I loved it....first play ever!

~Sam
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have a wonderful time, both. Weather has been very changeable; check a long-term forecast before packing.

Alice Ripley is giving an astonishing performance. I hope you both enjoy it. And I'm eager to hear what you think of "Blithe Spirit" (I had a blast).
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I am soooo jealous!

Note to self - save and go back to NY!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jesus! I'm ****ed!
Awake at 4am for 9am flight!
Arrived in New york at 11.55am this morning (Sat), taxi to friends apartment by 12,30 and straight to the 2pm matinee of 'Next To Normal'.

Just having a wake up shower and back to the Shubert for the 8pm performance of 'Blithe Spirit'!
Can I stay awake?
Start taking bets guys! Im not too sure.

Didn't get to meet Bob due to me maybe not arriving on time but Broadway is a brighter place with us here. LOL

Will report on the shows a little later but 'Next To Normal' was OK. Just OK.

'9 To 5' at 3pm tomorrow.

Wish you all were here!
The weather is gorgeous, not sunny but very warm- tshirt weather and the place is heaving.
x

PS 'Sister Act' was pretty amazing on Friday night!
I'm munching on some of my words in recent months BUT it still isn't half the fun that 'Priscilla' is.
Will put a full report on the 'Sister Act' thread!

Updated On: 5/9/09 at 06:15 PM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey Mama,

Warn the big apple before my arrival next week! I'll be arriving on Wednesday the 20th around 8pm and hitting the newest, sleazy joint (in the East Village) from 11 (hopefully minus my clothes!). Thursday I'm at "33 Variations", Friday -"Blithe Spirit", Saturday - "Hair" and "9 to 5", Sunday - "Shrek" and "Next To Normal". I also intend to put the city that never sleeps to the test with plans to hit the nightspots on Friday (Splash), Saturday (The Eagle) and Sunday (The Cock). That's why God invented Starbucks! Have fun!
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Will you be there that Monday?
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm leaving late Monday afternoon, mainly because there's not much happening on Broadway on Monday night.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh, ok. I saw you were going to Splash and I would have suggested musical Mondays. They have Broadway performers there, they play nothing but showtunes, and they have this big screen that plays pro shot production clips from old and new shows, and they show clips from the Tony Awards as well. It is a very popular place to be on Mondays.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll be doing Musical Mondays tomorrow.

The weather here is simply stunning.
It almost seems a crime to sit inside a great big Broadway theatre and watch a great big Broadway musical called '9 To 5' but Dolly's a calling!
Updated On: 5/10/09 at 01:08 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mama hope you are having a wild time, shame you did not meet up with Bob, hope he is too.

Now Next to Normal have opened and Rock of Ages there are 2 credible new shows to see on a Monday evening now, Phantom, Chicago and Avenue Q also play Monday night, good to see some choice on a Monday now.
Updated On: 5/12/09 at 03:29 PM