The Curve Theatre, Leicester
On sale at 12 noon.

The Light In The Piazza -Public Dress Rehearsal 30th April

Updated On: 4/29/09 at 08:33 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why don't I like this show? I know I should.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't like it in New York.
Tedious and left me feeling I should have seen something else that night.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's a relief. I wonder if Leicester can work their magic on it.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At this strange new place, The Curve, I'm not too sure.
In the old days, yes, as was proven with many shows it did in the 80s and 90s, but this new building has been seeing a few problems.
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i love this show and am making a trip to Leicester to see it. been waiting for it to come over here for so long! can't wait.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
We're there on Saturday....

What are the problems with the building? The pictures, at least, look quite impressive.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is an amazing show! One of the most beautiful scores I have ever heard. And I adored every single second of the production at Lincoln Center. Piazza is def in my top ten all time favourite musicals. I'm gutted that the Leicester production is clashing with my trip to New York and I can't fit it in!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've tried and struggled to like this listening to the CD. I'm hoping seeing the whole show at Leicester will prove more enlightening.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I adore Adam Guettel, even Myths and Hymns, so I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing this. :3 When's everyone else going?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Post deleted.
Updated On: 5/3/09 at 06:58 PM
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
may 9th, evening! anyone else?
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
We were there last night for the 2nd preview, 3rd performance.

I like the theatre/surroundings. A drum in the middle with the theatres inside and bars/cafe around the outside, open to the street with glass to the floor. The scene dock opens up to the outside..it's different.

The seats are great, comfortable and plenty of leg room. We were in the stalls (raked and off set) but wandered up to the mezz in the interval which seemed fine even from the v back..with a steeper rake.

The car park next door costs a bunch though..I think they do a reduced price for this when you book, which I didn't realise. The old Haymarket car park was cheap.

The show...good:

Performances (pretty much all of them).

Generally great singing

Costumes

15 piece orchestra

Sound

Not so good:

Big and clunky set which hardly looked solid.

Lighting..often from low at the side of the stage which caused glare..and pretty random otherwise...some really bright bits in the second act for no discernable reason.

Silly book..All I'll say is..shetland pony, six years and a bit simple.

I thought MR was a bit too old (but sang great and still looked good!) although my other half didn't.

The score was fine and listening to it today makes more sense, but I really (on the basis of the recording and this performance) can't see how it won all the Tonys.

It would never tour, and wouldn't last more than a month in London
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Piazza has probably my favourite "traditional" score of the past few years - it's glorious, IMHO. If Fable doesn't make you cry then whoever's playing Margaret in Leicester just isn't doing it right, frankly. Even if the lyrics are occasionally a bit wishy-washy, the music was infinitely more sophisticated than its co-nominees that year at the Tonys (Spamalot, Spelling Bee and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) - all of which have their strong points but are nothing like Piazza if you ask me.

If you saw the original staging there was nothing clunky about it - the set and lighting were sheer elegance, it was utterly beautiful. There's footage from the Live at Lincoln Centre broadcast on Youtube - you can see how it looked there, it was marvellous.

I'm probably not going to make it up to Leicester to see the show, which is a real shame. Didn't make it to Myths and Hymns a year or so ago either, or Floyd Collins at the Bridewell whenever that was - I'm a BAD Adam Guettel fan re: The Light In The Piazza -Public Dress Rehearsal 30th April
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Floyd Collins at the Bridewell was superb. The score is an amazing piece of writing. "How Glory Goes", in particular, is a truly fantastic song.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***