Page: 1

Mayflower Pantomime! Santa Clause It Is (again!)

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Santa Clause And The Return Of Jack Frost'

Oh please!
....yea! thats really traditional!

So much for the big announcement on Friday- this has been on the site since early evening Thursday!

http://www.mayflower.org.uk/event.asp?show=SANTA09

Sorry CONair, would you like a glass of water (or gin even!) and a sit down in a darkened corner.

I cant believe i joked about this in your original thread!
SORRY!

Updated On: 4/23/09 at 07:43 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
God - it's depressing thinking about ANY panto as early as this in the year!

Maybe they could do "Who killed Santa Claus" and have the murder ivestigated by detective Jack Frost.

Or what about Herman's Mrs. Santa Claus? There was talk some years ago of a stage version of that but it never seemed to happen.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember when pantos used announce the next years production on the closing night. The theatre manger would stop the curtain call and everyone waited with baited breath- would it be 'Puss In Boots'? 'Cinderella'? 'Aladdin'?.
Just the shows name would be mentioned (unless they knew that had a big name already) and then you would wait till September to know who was the top of the bill.
It's all too hyped now to get the latest reality TV personality etc or soap queen/king.
And you can book for next year before this year even opens!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No no no no no!!! This is a sequal to Santa Claus the musical! argghhh!! I love The Mayflower but they need to break ties with Michael Rose, and its not exactly a star cast! Very disappointing. I dont know anyone who saw Santa Clause the musical who actually liked it
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh and check out those prices!!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who Killed Santa Claus.... If The Mayflower are not careful... ME!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Starring Stephen Mulhern (WHO?!?!) Robin Cousins MBE (WHO?!?!) and Atlas for Sky One's Gladiators! OMG! Give me strength, But this must be the first time in years of having no Matthew Kelly or Gary Willmot!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a small blessing!

Love Gladiators, but not enough to make me fork out £35 to see it. Wheres Qdos when you need them!! John Barrowman in cardiff is only £25, make make the trip there instead!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roy Barrouclough, one of the UKs best ever traditional dames.
Give him a spectacular 'Aladdin' or 'Jack And The Beanstalk' -dame driven pantos that are traditional and what the public want.
re: Mayflower Pantomime!  Santa Clause It Is (again!)
Very, very disappointing and it makes me wonder if Dennis Hill is at all sane these days.
I bet they will use a lot of the old set from the original 'Santa Clause' -it is Miichael Rose after all!
Updated On: 4/24/09 at 03:43 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They need to move away from Michael Rose, they really do. I applaud trying something new, but this isnt it. And those prices for panto are so high. The productions of the late 80s and the 90s were brilliant there....oh those were the days!
angelgabriel Profile Photoangelgabriel Profile Photo
angelgabriel
Swing
Swing
I have to say having seen the comments above that credit hasn't been given where it's due. I saw Santa Claus the Musical and I must admit that before hand I was a bit apprehensive to see it but after the show I couldn't stop myself from singing its praise. Gary Wilmot brought that likeability factor to his character and played the role wonderfully. Roy Barraclough as Santa Claus was magically majestic and for that reason alone I will gladly part with £35.

I myself am a traditionalist and like Pantomime's, however I tire of hearing their jokes over and over again, some scripts literally haven't changed for years and let us not forget that Qdos also use the same sets as the year before so Michael Rose wouldn't be doing anything out of the ordinary. In fact I applaud Dennis Hall and Michael Rose for having the courage to move away from traditional panto but at the same time it would be nice to have a Christmas musical one year and a panto the next, just to mix it up a bit.

I would say that Michael Rose and his shows are a safe bet for an enjoyable evening. He brought the good people of Southampton White Christmas, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wizard of Oz and last years musical pantomime Cinderella. If any of you saw the version of Cinderella at the Kings Theatre in Southsea then you will know that is was a huge pile of panto pants and the Mayflower's version like a top notch West End show compared to it.

I am very much looking forward to watching Santa Claus and the Return of Jack Frost. I think Stephen Mulhern (Presenter of ITV 2's Britain's Got More Talent) will be a sure fire hit with the children and bring his cheeky charm to the role but admittedly Sam Bond (Atlas from Sky TV's Gladiators) will have to prove his worth whilst Robin Cousins MBE (ITV's Dancing On Ice) will no doubt make a fine baddie for the kids to boo. As I've said before Roy Barraclough (Coronation Street) brings the part of Santa alive with all the majesty and magic that you'd expect of the real deal. Panto at Cardiff? Not for me, my money's definitely on the Mayflower this year.

Updated On: 4/24/09 at 05:16 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glad you enjoyed Santa Claus first time round, but you are literally the first person ive heard that did (one of the few Mayflower xmas shows ive not seen). I agree Michael Rose did a great job on Chitty and White Christmas (both suburb productions). And I applaud them taking risks and trying something new to. However I just dont think the recent ones (Wizard of Oz and Cinderella) were that good.

I also know many people who would normally go but becasue of recent outings are wary, and now with this one its a definate 'no'. even someone I work with who loved Cinderella said she wouldnt take her kids to Santa Claus coz it sounded 'naff'.

Im sure there are lots of people that WiLL go and have a great time (not having Matthew Kelly again is a big plus in my eyes). But there are also a lot of people that wont be. Remembering myself the shows from the 90s and even the early naughties (peter pan) the recent ones just havent lived up to it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds like youre connected to Michael Rose actually!?!?
Encore! Profile PhotoEncore! Profile Photo
Encore!
Understudy
Understudy
I thought that it was Peter Pan that lost Qdos Southampton-what was wrong with it?

Over the christmas period the Mayflower published past panto info on its website. there were some truly brilliant shows. did anyone attend these shows and have any special memories.

I have never seen Santa Claus the musical but the promo vid looked good. even if the sequel isnt great Southampton has that wonderful show which is Scrooge.-I loved that!
angelgabriel Profile Photoangelgabriel Profile Photo
angelgabriel
Swing
Swing
hahaha No connection to Michael Rose at all I'm afraid. If you look on the website there are comments from lots of people who enjoyed the show. I don't understand how someone can put down a show just because you haven't heard anyone say they liked it and you didn't even see it! Santa Claus the Musical must have done well for Michael and Co to think about a sequel so they must be doing something right.

I agree that not having the same cast members as previous shows is a good thing as it keeps things fresh and after all part of going to see a show is because you want to see a celebrity name as well as be entertained.

I too think that White Christmas was a superb show although it didn't have much to offer children but the Wizard of Oz and Cinderella were by no means second rate shows.

The late pantomimes of the 90's and early naughties included a lot more audience participation and in my opinion the audience love to feel part of the show. Peter Pan had this with the throwing of the foam bricks and Cinderella had it with the water pistols. It brings the fun factor to the audience and makes them feel that they're getting their moneys worth so hopefully Michael can incorporate this.

Page: 1