One of the all time great british musicals opened this year in Japan

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK i lied
Desperately Seeking Susan the musical opened in Japan earlier this year and wait for it....people liked it!!!

Review Snippets
Stage Performances Rating (Nikkei Newspaper) February 19, 2009

Although it is not easy to combine music and drama in a rock musical, but this production is one of the rare successful examples.

G2 translated and directed the stage version with Blondie?s songs based on the movie ?Desperately Seeking Suzan?.

The revolve stage is used so effectively, and it moves around the glaring night town. Chizu Hosaka is on the up. I saw Tatsuki Koju?s Suzan, and was impressed that she was playing a wild woman so well. The supporting players? songs are also comfortable to our ears. Playing until March 5th at the Theatre Creation. ????

Self-searching Journey of A Woman -- Distinctive Feature of the Theatre
6th February 2009, Asahi Newspaper

I have never thought that the film "DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN" (1985) would be adapted for stage. Moreover, although a catalogue musical with tunes of a certain artist has achieved success, I have never even imagined that a musical with songs of Blondie, an American rock band very popular in the 1970s and 1980s, would be put on stage.

However, in 2007, the musical premiered in London (written and conceived by Peter Michael Marino). This Japanese premiere version by G2 (Direction, Translation of Book and Lyrics) is a very fascinating production with a unique rendition, which tactfully combines the story with powerful hit songs, such as "Call Me," "Heart of Glass" and "The Tide Is High."

Susan (played alternately by Tsubasa Makoto and Tatsuki Koju) is a beautiful, free-spirited woman and Roberta (played by Chizu Hosaka) is an ordinary housewife. Fascinated with Susan by reading the strange newspaper personal ads looking for her, Roberta follows after Susan whom she has found at the meeting place, and buys a jacket Susan has sold at a second hand store. The main highlights of this musical are the adventures of Roberta, who is mistaken as Susan, and the fuss caused by the identity confusion.

It is amusing to see mature actors -- Hosaka who sings and performs with a great deal of expression, Koju who performs naturally and gorgeously, Kazuhiro Yamaji who plays Roberta's husband as a frivolous snob, and Keigo Yoshino who gives a peculiar performance as a musician, Susan's boyfriend -- let themselves cut loose. Direction by G2 puts emphasis on the motif of 'self-searching of a mature woman.' His intention worked well, and reality and modernity can be seen through the portrait of the glitzy way of life in New York in 1979.

Stage Review "Desperately Seeking Susan" (Theatre Creation)
Fascinating Tsubasa Makoto in "A Fairy-tale For Adults"
by Takashi Kimura (Sports Nippon)

A musical made by fitting pre-existing hit tunes tactfully into a story is called a jukebox musical, but in most cases it does not create much impact, for some reason. The story of "Desperately Seeking Susan", a musical set to the hit songs of the U.S. rock band Blondie, is based on the film of the same title starring Madonna. The musical was premiered in the U.K. the year before last. It is said that the songs used in the musical make the disco generation feel nostalgic, but I, being of a musically-challenged generation, have no special feelings toward rock music and do not even know Blondie. However, fortunately, my concern proved to be unfounded. I found out that each of the Blondie songs is catchy and unique.

We, people, tend to ask too much. We often feel unsatisfied with our present state and think "Perhaps, I could have lived a different life." The standards of happiness can change in an instant, from moment to moment. Roberta, played by Chizu Hosaka, is an ordinary housewife living a boring life with her husband. She happens to know there is a free-spirited woman called Susan who is living for her own pleasure, and becomes totally fascinated by Susan. The house wife makes a move as she wants to see Susan. It is like a little "adventure" for her. Also it seems like a world of a fairy-tale which strongly appeals to the mass market, so to speak. Tsubasa Makoto is perfect for the role of Susan (alternately played by her and Tatsuki Koju), as there is nothing domestic about her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEYQadh05U&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux9YuJUG7Rs&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auCSqwCO_F4&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewZHxuTUSI&feature=channel_page
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...yea but they like raw fish!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lolololol
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL THEY LIKED IT ! what where they on !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They also like committing hara kiri. Maybe mass suicides will follow the final curtain. lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*giggles*

I bet Lovepigeon is in Japan watching it

I have to admit i did not hate the London production, i thought it was fun and entertaining and had a good cast, but it was just OK, it wasn't horrid like the reviews made out but it wasn't great either, it was great at being mediocre. I think the London critics were too harsh though, it should have tried touring 1st.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happened to LP?

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i dont know but i miss them...come back!!!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I meant Love Pigeon NOT Long Players!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats who i meant but i didn't know if he was a he or a she so i put hem lol
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'it'!

..if he's in japan and they have street gutters then thats where he'll be, bottle of gin in hand!
Singing Blondie songs!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lolol sounds about right
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Further prove the Japanesse have no taste, but prove of this could be found with how well Wicked is doing!

MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
They love pretty much everything coming over from Europe!
And musicals are just the latest thing in Japan apparently as we were told by the Japanese creative team of Marie Antoinette when they had the cast presentation last year I attended.

The last three Kunze/Levay musicals Elisabeth, Rebecca and Marie Antoinette were extremely successful in Japan, so was Tanz der Vampire.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not quiet the latest thing- they have been having major musicals over there for decades. 'Starlight Express', 'Phantom', 'Les Miz' the lot, were there within years of opening in Europe.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sure, but it got that far now that shows as Marie Antoinette actually have now their world premieres there.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe cos its know they wouldn't work in the UK.
'Lautrec', 'Leonardo', 'Napoleon' all failed in London.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
But some work (especially when written by Levay and Kunze) in the rest of Europe and in Japan. :P But then we get into the discussion why some musicals work in some countries and some others not.
Updated On: 4/22/09 at 02:46 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I demand 'Elizabeth' etc get done in London but I know they wont.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I'd be happy if they start with Rebecca, after all the novel is by Daphne du Maurier.
Updated On: 4/22/09 at 03:14 PM
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The primary audience for TOHO's shows is female, and the marketing has heavily played up the Susans AND the show's connection to Madonna (Blondie don't have a similar presence over there) - given the somewhat repressed treatment of Japanese housewives I suspect it's the kind of show that really appeals to them.

It's also their own production staged at TOHO's Theatre Creation, which is much smaller than the Imperial where the big shows like Mis, Saigon, Elisabeth etc. play - DSS was reputedly a much better show in workshop format before it went all big and West End, and perhaps TOHO have managed to capture that on stage now.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What theatres in London would these shows need to play???
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
By and large I can't bear the pomposity of most Euro-musicals, and recently they haven't even had scores of great distinction- sorry, I can't bear Rebecca. Tanz der Vampyr and Glockner were a different league, but many shows come of as amateurish, not in execution, which is normally spectacular, but just in the maturity of the content.

I loved the score of Starmania, but the show is just plain silly. Even Lloyd Webber's most banal moments come across as quite sophisticated compared to the silliness of the spectacular but nonsensical Ich will Spass!
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh my twatting Lord, how did I miss this little beauty?! Oh SADM, thank you for sharing this enormous nugget of joy! Sorry for my absence... I've been nursing a hideous ear infection (which has now made a lovely job of viciously slashing through my eardrum) and spent most of last week lying on my side watching repulsive daytime TV while not being able to hear it.

Now I'm back at work but I'm not allowed to go to the theatre for TWO WEEKS. I'm actually going to Wicked on 9th May and La Cage on 11th... what Dr MacCallum doesn't know won't hurt her, however much it hurts me. Anyway, that bloody awful 6 per day statutory sick pay won't help me save for my ticket to Tokyo will it...
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wasn't interested in seeing this even when it was in London. So I'm certainly not considering a trip to Japan to see it. lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***