Brian Conley and 'Hairspray' Gel at Last!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brian Conley and 'Hairspray' Gel at Last!#1
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:48am
At last its been confirmed from the producers themselves.
His first performance is to be July 27th.
They have, cheekily dropped hints that in the final two weeks of Michael Balls run, Mr Conley 'may' do the Mondays that Mr Ball doesn't, as a audience tester /preview.

Brian Conley and 'Hairspray' Gel at Last!

Updated On: 4/15/09 at 06:48 AM
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i just don't know about this one... i don't really see it for some reason re: Brian Conley and 'Hairspray' Gel at Last!
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He is a top comedian with a great voice.
He is more of a household name than Michael Ball to the normal theatregoer who comes to London on coach tours once or twice a year.
Whereas Michael only ever does rare West End musical appearances and a concert tour every few years, Brian has had 4 or 5 major TV series, done straight theatre as well as many musicals in the West End and all over the country. Also does a lot of recording with an armful of albums.
Joe Public will love him in 'Hairsrpray'!
He will bring a whole new side to Edna and I think he will win this one hands down.
He has only signed till the end of January.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont get why people cant see him in the role, to me it is brilliant casting, and can picture it much more than I could Michael ball.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not saying he wont be good... i'm just having a bit of trouble seeing this one. Brian Conley is pretty much Brian Conley whatever he does.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had such a very hard time trying to picture Michael Ball as Edna.... BUT the second he walked on stage at the open dress I was blown away, and still am.
Brian Conley will be brilliant, in his own take on the part, but brilliant!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ill probably get shot for this, but I feel the same about Michael Ball, Beergoogles.

I think it will be great to have a comedian in the role this time.
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Oh I think Michael is definately Edna on stage, I forgot it was him after a few mins and bought into the character completely.

Not a fan of Brian Conley myself but I hope he does well. I'll be there July 25th for Michael Ball's last shows and may well just make a return journey to see Brian Conley. Is Adam Price staying on??
aka Ria
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 06:22 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He'll be a big hit. Perhaps they should move him into Sister Act to give that a boost!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording!
Cast Recording!
Cast Recording!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tough act to follow the great Mr Ball, all I remember is Brian Conley prancing around the stage as a hapless Jolson!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved 'Jolson'.
I also saw the US national tour of it in Philadelphia (yes, I went all the way from NY to see it!) and it was dire. Every am dram I've ever seen put together was better than that production that they tried to pass as a show on its way to Broadway!
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 07:24 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^You on about Jolson and Co the Musical?

Im seeing it in Newcastle tomorrow night. Got free tickets hehe.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, thats a brand new show your seeing.
Please send us a report on it.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^Will do :). Never realised it was a new show, just assumed it was the Jolson musical that won the Olivier award all those years ago.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The connection is Andy Stewart.
He was Conleys alternative at the Victoria Place for Mondays and holidays.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This will be a terrific show that will show Mr Conley off in what he does best- a good old fashioned variety show.
Add the fact that he will be on a high about going into 'Hairspray' and it will be a fabulous night out.
http://www.brianconley.com/Stage/brianconleytourdates.html
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brian Conley was fantastic in "The Music Man" at Chichester last year - it's a shame it didn't transfer to the West End. It was the epitome of a feel-good show - I could just picture it working perfectly at The New London Theatre.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ive never been a fan of Brian Conley, but am excited about him as Edna. My opinion o fhim changed seeing Music Man last year. A brilliant brilliant production with a perfect cast. He and Scarlett Strallen were sublime
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ive never been a fan of Brian Conley, but am excited about him as Edna. My opinion o fhim changed seeing Music Man last year. A brilliant brilliant production with a perfect cast. He and Scarlett Strallen were sublime
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mmmmm. Just been told that with his tour has now been out 2 weeks and with another 3 or 4 to go, theatres are reporting /complaing that it isn't selling at all well. Many are reporting capacitys of less than 50%
Hope this doesn't mean that he's now out of favor with the public just before he needs al the support he can get with 'Hairspray' only 2 months away!

I really think he will be a knockout 'Edna'.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hmmm, although a solo concert is a different animal to a west end musical. Theres lots of people id see in a musical, but wouldnt be fussed about seeing in a solo concert (eg John Barrowman)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought this tour would sell as its not going out as a one man show. Its a full variety show, the likes of which the public love hoim for on the TV.
Why aint they going???

Michael Ball is the only performer I'd see in a one man concert at the moment.

Except of course, Shirley Bassey, Liza Minelli, Dolly Parton etc etc but we aint gonna get them here again any time soon!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know it's always been played by a woman. But can someone explain to me why Edna has to be played by a man. I think that's one of the reasons I hated this show so much. I just found it so bloody silly and more likem a pantomime than a musical. (I know people will now want to shoot me LOL - but I found this show so annoying and boring and I think this is one reason why.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its just that it started with Divine in the original 80s movie and it was what John Waters wanted when the show was developed and its worked ever since. He's very protective of the concept.
re: Brian Conley and 'Hairspray' Gel at Last!
Its a gimmick, yes, but a very clever one and one that the public expects.
I think it would lose a lot of its camp obsurdity if it wasn't played by a man.

Updated On: 4/21/09 at 08:30 AM