Page: 1

Hi from NY - 3 days, 3 shows

TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hi from NY - 3 days, 3 shows#1
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:02pm
Just thought I'd post a quick hello from NYC. Arrived Sunday afternoon and saw Accent on Youth that evening - a very genteel comedy, nicely played by the three main leads (David Hyde Pierce esp, although I am open to a charge of bias where he is concerned - one of my all-time favourite actors). However the play could perhaps do with trimming down / tightening up a bit before opening night.

I finally saw 9-5 last night and it lived up to all expectations. The staging and choreography were very creative and I thought all three leading ladies acquitted themselves wonderfully. Standout for me was definitely Alison Janney - she was sublime (and so friendly and gracious at the stage door too).

Off to see God of Carnage from Standing Room shortly - really looking forward to this one. Will report back later/tomorrow if anyone's interested. Hi from NY - 3 days, 3 shows

Btw, it's a horribly wet and windy evening here at the mo. :-<
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 06:02 PM
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows#2
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:14pm
It most certainly is a horribly wet and windy afternoon TIGG re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows

Glad to hear you loved 925. Would you recommend Accent on Youth? I'm looking for a play to see tomorrow night and would either do SRO at God of Carnage, rush Exit the King or rush Accent on Youth.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows#2
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:20pm
You are my main man at the moment, I am relying on you to be my eyes and ears, for when I go over.

Glad you are enjoying yourself.

How are you keeping yourself entertained during the day?
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows#3
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:35pm
The people that are in the city now....when will you be leaving?
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows#4
Posted: 4/15/09 at 12:20am
I leave Sunday night, Musical-Matt leaves tomorrow morning, not sure about UKTheatreKid or TIGG though.
Claire De Loone  Profile PhotoClaire De Loone  Profile Photo
Claire De Loone
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows#5
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:27am
Thanks Tigg for Accent on Youth insight - Im actally seeing that in June for the same reason - David Hyde Pierce - Are you see Blithe Spirit, Reasons to be Pretty ( Neil Labute a fav for me) or WSS at all ??

Post more re what you're seeing as very interested as seeing most over there in June re: Hi from NY - 2 days, 2 shows Stay warm. Im sure Ill think is freezing when I hit London next week coming from OZ.
"Of course, sometimes I get carried away"
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh what a night!#6
Posted: 4/15/09 at 7:32am
I tried to post again last night but my hotel's wi-fi went a bit screwy.

boyfromoz: Much as I adore DHP, I'd probably recommend God of Carnage over Accent on Youth purely because SRO is such a bargain and you can see everything perfectly. It's a much more high-octane piece and is the finished article, whereas, like I said above, AOY probably needs some fine-tuning. It really depends what you're in the mood for. I haven't seen Exit the King, not really a fan of absurdism.

Have to say I had a wonderful time last night. You can always find interesting people to chat to in SRO / rush / lottery queues and stage door crowds in NY and the last 3 nights have been no exception. As I said, SRO at God of Carnage is well worth doing and the performances from all 4 actors are top-notch. I even managed to snatch an autograph and a picture with Mr Gandolfini afterwards. :)

Because GoC let out so early I decided to toddle round to the AoY stage door afterwards. I didn't get to see DHP on Sunday, so thought I'd try and get my playbill signed last night instead. There were only 5 other folks waiting and security actually let us wait inside the stage door out of the pouring rain - very nice of them. When DHP eventually arrived he chatted and posed for everyone and made my night by recognising me! The man is a class act, on and off stage.

Off to see 9 to 5 again tonight and have splashed out on a discounted balcony ticket for Blithe Spirit tomorrow. Good times! Oh what a night!

Some pics:

[IMG]Oh what a night!

[IMG]Oh what a night!

[IMG]Oh what a night!

[IMG]Oh what a night!

[IMG]Oh what a night!

[IMG]Oh what a night!

Btw, if anyone's looking for recommendations of things to do away from theatre, I'd thoroughly recommend Scott's Pizza Tours (www.scottspizzatours.com) - I love walking and I love pizza, so this was perfect; a 3 hour guided tour of some of the best pizzerias in Little Italy (with free slices thrown in), plus a look at some of the associated businesses instrumental in pizza history. Very quirky but great fun!

P.S. sgv123: I leave Sunday
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 07:32 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh what a night!#7
Posted: 4/15/09 at 7:53am
'God Of Carnage' is simply stunning, a brilliant play BUT it is back in London next January.
SO try and see something that may not make it across here ever!
Hell, if that fails, go see '9 To 5' again' I most certainly would!

When I had a long holiday there when 'Victor/Victoria' was playing, every night we couldn't make up our minds on a show we went back to see Julie -4 times!
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 07:53 AM
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh what a night!#8
Posted: 4/15/09 at 10:10am
Is GoC returning to the UK with a different cast?

Mama, totally agree about 9 to 5 - I've already gone three times and plan to go again tomorrow night.

TIGG, also totaly agree about NY theatre crowds at stage door/rush etc. At 9 to 5 last Friday I met a BroadwayBoarder and we ended up hanging out between the rush and the show as well as since.

Will report back on Blithe Spirit this afternoon