Page: 1

Help with trip to London!!

Just_John Profile PhotoJust_John Profile Photo
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Help with trip to London!!#1
Posted: 4/11/09 at 8:17pm
I'm visiting London mid-May and I want to see some shows while I'm there. I want to see Oliver, A Little Night Music and something else maybe La Cage? I'll take any recommendations.
Anyway, I wanted to know the best way to buy tickets for Oliver. It looks like I can get A Little Night Music at TKTS as well as something else.
Is the TKTS in London just like in New York, where you can buy a ticket 5 minutes before a show and still have time to get to any theatre, particularly ALNM? I was looking up tickets for Oliver and it seems like there's only horrible seats or it says to call to make your order. Is the show such a big sell out that I wouldn't be able to get tickets day of? Or do they have cancellation lines like they do here in NY where there's a very good chance you would get a ticket if you waited on line?
Also are there any student tickets or rushes? Just wondering what's the best way to get a decent seat at a decent price? Thanks!! =]
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#2
Posted: 4/11/09 at 8:55pm
SUNSET BOULEVARD is a must see! Although ALNM is a better show than Sunset - Nunn's production of ALNM is average at best while Craig Revel Horwood's new production of Sunset is seriously stunning and Kathryn Evans's Norma is probably the best performance in any show in town right now.

If you choose La Cage, you won't be disappointed there either. But this production of Sunset is VERY special.

I'm assuming you are from the US and have already seen Spring Awakening - but the UK cast are, I think, even better than the New York cast. And this is the best musical I've seen in the West End in a good many years.

As for walking distance of theatres from the Leicester Square TKTS - not all theatres are within just 5 minutes but most are reasonably close. ALNM is certainly just 5 minutes away though.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#2
Posted: 4/12/09 at 12:26am
Thanks so much for all that info. Yes, I live in New York and have seen Spring Awakening and it's not one of my favorite so I don't want to see that so badly. I HAVE to see ALNM because my cousin is in it but I'm going to try to see Sunset Boulevard and then La Cage if I have time. I also want to see Oliver because of Rowan Atkinson and I've never seen it on stage so is it always sold out?
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Help with trip to London!!#3
Posted: 4/12/09 at 5:00am
Believe Oliver is still selling strongly so best to buy direct.
The cheap seats are not terrible if you can get towards the middle.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#4
Posted: 4/12/09 at 7:49am
Personally I would pick La Cage over Sunset. Have seen them both and La Cage was just that bit more special.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#5
Posted: 4/12/09 at 8:27am
The recommendations above are spot on and would be the ones I would suggest, also I would always urge someone coming over to see Blood Brothers.

All shows are at tkts, you said about getting a ticket 5 minutes before a show, but remember tkts closes at 7pm and most shows start at 7.30.

Hopefully you could recommend something for me, as I am going to New York in a couple of months.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#6
Posted: 4/12/09 at 10:32am
whatats can i get for hairspray in discount ticket shops? Sre they good
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#7
Posted: 4/13/09 at 1:56am
Thanks so much for all your help! Phantom of London, you asking this has made me realize all the great things either come from London or move to London. So what I would recommend that hasn't been in London is 9 to 5, In the Heights and Blithe Spirit.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#8
Posted: 4/13/09 at 6:13am
^ I agree with Phantom that you should definitely catch Blood Brothers if you haven't seen it.
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#9
Posted: 4/13/09 at 10:44pm
I didn't think of this before but do any shows in London do student rush or lotteries? Especially the shows that I mentioned.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#10
Posted: 4/17/09 at 2:02pm
La Cage is a brilliant and charming production. The best production of the show I've seen yet.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#11
Posted: 4/17/09 at 2:19pm
La Cage does mid-week student tickets for 20, excludes Fri/Sat.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#12
Posted: 4/17/09 at 7:09pm
re: Help with trip to London!!

If I were you, I wouldn't leave buying from TKTS until too late in the day - they open at 10am after all.

The genuine half-price TKTS ticket booth in Leicester Square is the free-standing brick building on the south side of the square. Don't get fooled by the many other businesses in the area advertising themselves as "Official Half Price Theatre Tickets" or similar.

hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#13
Posted: 4/18/09 at 8:20am
Don't forget, broadwaybox.com also has a London section. For instance, I just bought tickets for "Enjoy" at The Gielgud next month, paying just a couple of quid over the TKTS price but at least I know I've got good seats and won't waste a trip into the West End.
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help with trip to London!!#14
Posted: 5/13/09 at 7:14am
So Thank you all so much for your help. I'm in London now having a great time. I saw A Little Night Music Monday night which we got great seats at TKTS, which I thought was great but my friend did not. Last night we saw La Cage through the student rush which got us second row seats, which we both loved. And today we have tickets for Oliver and Sister Act.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Help with trip to London!!#15
Posted: 5/13/09 at 7:50am
Glad your here and enjoying the shows!