Least favourite UK theatre

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Least favourite UK theatre#1
Posted: 3/27/09 at 6:31pm
Could be the Playhouse in Edinburgh.

Plymouth Theatre Royal is a lovely stage, yellow(!) auditorium and hideously unfocused exterior.
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Least favourite UK theatre#2
Posted: 3/27/09 at 6:48pm
Apollo Hammersmith
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#2
Posted: 3/27/09 at 6:48pm
Theatre Royal Plymouth. Its always baffled me- the seating that goes up the side from stalls to circle- but only on the right hand side -very strange?
re: Least favourite UK theatre

Updated On: 3/28/09 at 06:48 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Least favourite UK theatre#3
Posted: 3/27/09 at 7:50pm
I really didn't like the Cambridge theatre when I saw Chicago, not enough rake in the stalls so from the back I could see hardly anything and the people behind me complained loudly that I was too tall.
murron Profile Photomurron Profile Photo
murron
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Least favourite UK theatre#4
Posted: 3/27/09 at 9:41pm
Apollo Victoria. Feels like one giant concert hall, too vast and impersonal for a theatre. Mind you, I didn't like the show either (sorry Wicked fans)
WestEnder2
Swing
Swing
re: Least favourite UK theatre#5
Posted: 3/27/09 at 10:05pm
What don't you like about the Playhouse devonian?
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Least favourite UK theatre#6
Posted: 3/28/09 at 5:39am
The Playhouse in Edinburgh is an odd theatre. Two good things -when it is packed the atmosphere is great. 3300 people enjoying a show like Mamma Mia for instance. It is fine if you sit in the front part of the stalls.
However the downsides - Upper Circle is miles away. It is a difficult theatre in which to get the sound right.Also they really need to spend some money on redecoration.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#7
Posted: 3/28/09 at 6:34am
I don't like Her Majestys, purely for the sightlines in the gallery. The worst seat I have ever had in the West End.

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Least favourite UK theatre#8
Posted: 3/28/09 at 6:45am
I agree Mark E .. the Her Majesty's can be a pain at times..
I love the Drury Lane just because of its sheer size and the foyer is gorgeous..
I also love the Prince Edward and I LOVE the Mayflower :)
And CONAries, the Regent Centre is a lovely intamite theatre :)
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#9
i hate the new wimbolden ! its just so awful !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Least favourite UK theatre#10
WOOPS!
Got the two theatre threads mixed up.. sorry guys x
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#11
Posted: 3/28/09 at 10:26am
New Victoria Woking.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#12
Posted: 3/28/09 at 3:53pm
You hit the nail on the head keith- sound is usually appalling and the whole place is dirty- you feel like you don't want to touch any surfaces. PLUS they project Pearl & Dean adverts before the show! Unreal.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#13
Posted: 3/28/09 at 4:05pm
Its a trip back in time to when theatres in the 50s and 60s were never cleaned and just left to rot. A true barn of a place for anything other than a huge show.

Other Edinburgh theatres are pretty well looked after.

Same with the dreadful Alex in Birmingham.
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Least favourite UK theatre#14
Posted: 3/28/09 at 5:39pm
I agree about the Her Majesty's. I saw Phantom a couple of years back on a whim, and was on the first row of the balcony. I had the worst, worst leg cramps due to the awful lack of legroom. I have issues with a lot of the Really Useful Group theatres, largely because they just don't seem to be properly cared for. I remember seeing the Woman in White at the Palace, and was sitting in the Balcony, or Upper Circle, and an entire block of seats was disused, covered with a large array of tarpaulins which were held down by dirty workman's tools. I got upgraded to the Stalls anyway at the last minute, and the decor down there was fantastic in comparison. When I went back to the Palace to see Spamalot, I expected, from seeing evidence of work, that the Upper levels would have been tarted up, but no such luck. I cannot understand ALW's attitude to his buildings. Cameron Mackintosh takes such pride in his set of theatres, and they are truly enjoyable venues in London. I wish the same could be said of the Palace and TR Drury Lane, to name but a few.

Regionally, the Theatre Royal in York is a very odd Theatre, what with the suspended girders and walkways in the foyer. The auditorium reminds me of the Dominion Theatre in Edinburgh, which has very odd upper tiers, with only about 20 seats on one!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Least favourite UK theatre#15
Posted: 3/28/09 at 6:45pm
The sheets were over the side blocks in the balcony at the Palace as the view of the projections from those seats was (apparently) vomit inducing.
When I sat in the Balcony the first time for the Woman in White several people moved to the side anyway, so that nobody would be in front of them, and moved the sheets away.
I do remember the route up to the balcony was greatly in need of repair, has it still not been done?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#16
Posted: 3/28/09 at 6:55pm
It seems the Lords path of restoration at the Palace is from the pros arch outwards. In the last few years (between shows opening and closing) the restoration to clean the marble work has grown from a small corner under the Dress Circle boxes as an experiment to discover what was there, to what can be seen now, the full arch in all its splendid marble glory.
The entire auditorium is that beautiful golden marble right out through into the front of house.
The blue/grey (which is actually very well done) of the auditorium you see now is a temporary color when they took away the dreadful burgundy paint that was used way back in 1959.
It will be many a long year until the Palace will be anywhere near completed.

The completed pros arch restoration can be seen in my 'Priscilla' video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_vAve21FE

The Palace under undergoing restoration recently.
The blue/grey of the main auditorium can be seen clearly on the front of all 3 tiers. The cleaned up marble pros arch can be seen on the left of the picture. One day the whole of that glorious auditorium will be that color.
Updated On: 3/28/09 at 06:55 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#17
Posted: 3/28/09 at 7:17pm
***The Kings Theatre Edinburgh only last week was given 500,000 for repairs. Maybe they could give some of the change to the Playhouse.
TheGreenBean
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Least favourite UK theatre#18
Posted: 3/28/09 at 7:21pm
To all who have mentioned the Edinburgh Playhouse - when was the last time you were there?
I've been 20 times at least in the past year, and can't complain about it's condition...
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Least favourite UK theatre#19
Posted: 3/29/09 at 6:38am
In London I dont like the Savoy, its got beautiful interiors, but the whole weird layout design and lack of marquee space goes against it. Also dont like the Dominian at ALL. Cambridge I found souless, and the Apollo Victoria up until Wicked arrived I didnt like, but since its had a bit of a clean up I dont mind it so much.

Oh and hate The Old Vic!!
Updated On: 3/29/09 at 06:38 AM
Trekkie Monster Profile PhotoTrekkie Monster Profile Photo
Trekkie Monster
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Least favourite UK theatre#20
Posted: 3/29/09 at 10:13am
The Theatre Royal, Plymouth is my local theatre and I have often wondered what people thought of it.

I personally love it.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Least favourite UK theatre#21
Posted: 3/30/09 at 3:23am
Oh my Lord, the Assembly Hall in Tunbridge Wells. It feels like you're in assembly but that's probably because, bizarrely, the auditorium has windows.
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Least favourite UK theatre#22
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:52pm
Two weeks ago - it is defintely in need of a bit of a tart up. I don't think like Mama that it has been left to rot but it just needs a bit of care and attention.
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Least favourite UK theatre#23
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:55pm
Am I missing something - like a theatre!?!
There is no Dominion Theatre in Edinburgh. There is a cinema of that name - great cinema by the way, still an independent. The owners greet you in dinner jackets. Classy and friendly.
Anyhoo - which theatre did you mean?
WestEnder2
Swing
Swing
re: Least favourite UK theatre#24
Posted: 3/30/09 at 2:52pm
I think they're talking about the Dominion in London..

I love the Edinburgh Playhouse.
I agree there are bits that are need some attention but all in all it's lovely. Size goes against it at times, becuase it can sell 1500 tickets and seem like it hasn't sold too well whereas for other theatres that would be it packed out. It is not left to rot at all and is very well looked after, it's just old and hasn't had any proper work done to it in a bit.
It's a gorgeous theatre and the staff are all great.

I don't see how it could be anyones least favourite theatre based on the fact that it's old and areas need attention..
I always find there's a great atmosphere about it.

Page: 1