Foreign Cast Recordings of Show

boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#1
Posted: 2/27/09 at 10:56am
Last night, while going through my iTunes, I realised have nearly equal numbers of cast recordings in foreign languages as I do in English. Am I alone in my obsession with hearing musicals in Hebrew, Korean, Spanish and Dutch (to name a few)?
Updated On: 2/27/09 at 10:56 AM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#2
Posted: 2/27/09 at 11:54am
i can only speak for myself, but i don't have any Cast recordings in any language other than english...ive always thought that if i have the money to buy a new one, i'll just buy another english one.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#2
Posted: 2/27/09 at 12:31pm
I have several. What's nice is, if it's a language you're not familiar with, you don't think about the lyrics -- just the music and the performer's voice.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#3
Posted: 2/27/09 at 12:38pm
On LP i have every cast recording ,worldwide, of both, 'Little Shop Of Horrors' and 'Evita'
childcatcher2 Profile Photochildcatcher2 Profile Photo
childcatcher2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#4
Posted: 2/27/09 at 2:32pm
Mama, do you have the Sue pollard little Shop ?
whats it like ?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#5
Posted: 2/27/09 at 2:51pm
Its not great. Very cheap sounding.....rather what it looked like on stage!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#6
Posted: 2/27/09 at 3:11pm
I've got the French Les Mis, which is a precursor to the original London production. It's interesting to note the changes and I enjoy it very much.

I've also seen Miss Saigon and Fiddler on the Roof (Anatevka) performed in Dutch, which wasn't a problem since I was familiar with both shows.

Some of the Broadway cast recordings are quite good too - in fact some of them are very good. re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#7
Posted: 2/27/09 at 3:12pm
lol

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#8
Posted: 2/27/09 at 6:57pm
I have Wicked in German and Les Miserables in French.
I have also seen the Lion King in Paris (in French).

I would love to extend my collection, I usually listen to two albums a day while commuting so need some variety, but the cost is usually a bit much for me, it isn't like you can pick them up in the local music shop.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#9
Posted: 2/27/09 at 7:38pm
Ah the Stuttgart recording of Wicked rocks - except the album producers were too cheap to rerecord the orchestrations, so we're pretty much stuck with the OBCR and different voices over the top re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#10
Posted: 2/27/09 at 7:48pm
It was nothing to do with being cheap, it was contractual rules with the musicians.
Its the same system that denied us a London 'Hairspray' recording!
Updated On: 2/27/09 at 07:48 PM
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#11
Posted: 2/27/09 at 7:53pm
Really? So even in Germany the have a musicians union? Or was it the Broadway Musicians Union not allowing any other tracks to be recorded?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#12
Posted: 2/27/09 at 8:55pm
mama, do you have 'UNE PETITE BOUTIQUE DE HORROR'?
childcatcher2 Profile Photochildcatcher2 Profile Photo
childcatcher2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#13
Posted: 2/28/09 at 2:04am
I keep picking up the Norway (?) Witches of eastwick when i'm in the Dress circle but cant bring myself to spend £24 on it. Does anyone know if its worth buying ?
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#14
Posted: 2/28/09 at 4:51am
I have Wicked in German and Starlight Express in German, both very good but there are lots of other foreign recordings I want!
Salene Profile PhotoSalene Profile Photo
Salene
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#15
Posted: 2/28/09 at 10:18am
I keep picking up the Norway (?) Witches of eastwick when i'm in the Dress circle

No such thing. You mean this one?
http://www.dresscircle.co.uk/product.asp?StockID=33270
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#16
Posted: 2/28/09 at 1:31pm
@alterego

I have the recording of La Petite boutique des horreurs, not of the film, but of the Paris cast from some point in the 80's, a guy sent it to me off of youtube. It's quite interesting, but I prefer the translation they used for some of the songs in the dubbing of the film, compared to the ones on this recording, skid row specifically. The voices aren't anything that special, to be honest, and the sound quality's a bit hit and miss.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#17
Posted: 3/3/09 at 11:39am
I have several German recoridngs, but not of English musicals as such. E.g. Tanz, Glockner, Elisabeth. Currently downloading the Gereman Tarzan in preparation for April, and I also have the German Wicked Cast Album; absolutely incredible cast, but the album is utterly ruined by the auto-tuning. I still hold the Glockner album as one of the favourites I own, absolutely stunning beyond explanation! I also bought Buenos Aires form the Dutch Evita on iTunes! lol!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#18
Posted: 3/3/09 at 4:09pm
Some foreign recordings are wonderful to experience for their differences. The Dutch recording of Titanic more accurately represents the musical direction of the Broadway production as I saw it performed. The unique orchestrations of the 1980 Madrid cast recording of Evita are gorgeous, while conversely, the 1981 Korean cast is astonishingly awful (quite possibly the worst cast recording of all time, with the the vocals mysteriously going completely out of sync with the instrumental accompaniment at times).
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#19
Posted: 3/4/09 at 6:16am
I'm surprised at myself for not having more then two... I have Wicked in German and Mamma Mia! in Spanish. I'm actually an enormous fan of foreign language recordings of songs I know best in English... I've got recordings by Abba in Swedish, German, Spanish, French, Japanese and even an Abba tribute band who sing in Hindi. I urge anyone to listen to Al Andar from Gracias Por La Musica... in English, that song is diabolical but in Spanish, it's divine.

Actually, only this morning I was listening to the Spice Girls' Spanish version of 2 Become 1 (it's sh*t) and Blondie's Spanish version of Call Me and French version of Sunday Girl.

Here's a question I bet Mama knows the answer to... are there any foreign cast recordings of Hair?
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#20
Posted: 3/4/09 at 6:55am
Scrap that... I just found a list, plus a site with Japanese mp3's!! Will have to inulge in those babies when I get home. Swedish and Russian are he ones I'm really after though.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#21
Posted: 3/4/09 at 7:05am
The site linked below has a fairly comprehensive database of cast recordings, complete with purchase links where available.
http://www.castalbums.org/

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#22
Posted: 3/4/09 at 7:14am
Thanks for that... will have to cheekily check it out in my lunch hour!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#23
Posted: 3/4/09 at 10:10am
I'm surprised there hasn't been much more discussion of Glockner- a stunning recording!

In my weaker moments I love to listen to Starmania- whatever you do don't watch the skin-crawlingly bad dvd though!

Le Petit Prince by the same composer as Starmania is also very melodic.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Foreign Cast Recordings of Show#24
Posted: 3/4/09 at 10:18am
I've got a tonne of international recordings, particularly of Joseph and Rent, but a few others as well including a rather nice German disc of Man of La Mancha.