WhatsOnStage Theatregoers Choice Awards Results

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WOW, how WRONG can one set of awards get it!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone want to listen what is happening with Whats On Stage Awards they have a feature now on LBC, with Cristo (97.3FM), they have a correspondent at the awards and will soon be talking about theatre prices.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Best Actress for Katy Stephens and Best Actor for Kenneth Branagh? Can't say I'm disappointed there! A little disappointed that McNally didn't get Supporting Actor, but Hiddleston was aces too. Disappointed that Margherita didn't get Supporting Actress (Musical), but Tracie Bennett really did turn in a scene-stealing performance. Some of the choices are making me go D: but considering these are "let any fool who can work a PC decide!" awards, it could've turned out a lot worse than it did.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just annoyed as Jersey won pretty much EVERYTHING, and in my opinion it didnt deserve too! I am also annoyed Imagine This didnt get best set, people may not have liked the show, but the set was exceptional!
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think it's weird that Tracie Bennet won, but obviously she had enough people voting for her! I love Jersey Boys so I'm happy with that tbh! C'mon, 40.6%!!
=)
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm so about to get slated over on WOS!! And maybe here?
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awh, you know we don't slate people here Sparkles...we just search for them in the phone book, and tell the police they have military secrets on their computers, hence your computer is removed and you are locked in a prison cell for all eternity :)
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Awww that's so sweet =) :P
Seriously though, WOS are going to rip me apart, guess which post is mine :P
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think i've guessed...

"Just because you get an email saying "Vote for us" doesn't mean you have to, you can actually think for yourself!!"

by any chance? :P
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hehe, yeppers =)
Wow people are actually agreeing with me, that's a first!!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
awh..well tbh, i get so many emails from all the west end shows when its award time telling me that i can vote for them (as though its some priviledge i've earnt) and i vote for who i think is worthy, not who i got the most email from. it's silly to think that thats how Jersey Boys won!
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Best set designer? Jersey Boys? With two sofas for a car and those f*cking cartoons?! I love the show but that result has just made me vomit up my banana.
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yeeah, that one was pretty weird...there were quite a few weird results I think..These awards are more trouble than they're worth =P
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
im sure half the people who vote for these things haven't actually seen the show

LMAO at Jersey Boys for Set Design
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey boys didnt deserve best set ! imagine this did ! and west side story for best revival ? i dont think so !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They probably have seen the show. As great as it is for the public to vote in these type of awards, the fact is the many people will only see a handful or possibly one or two shows a year, and these will normally be the big openings. Also its simple maths, a show in a big house like the Prince Edward, been open nearly a year, will have been seen by more people thus get more votes than by something in a smaller house and/or less well known.

People will have looked at the list and probably only have experience of one or two shows and vote based on that.

I agree JB didnt deserve set design (and nor did Imagine This in my view - im surprised so many people thought it was so impressive), and neither did they deserve the acting awards - hey ho!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was at the awards show - and it was a fantastic night! Some great performances - absolute highlights were Jimmy Johnston singing "Who I'd Be" from "Shrek" (great song and Jimmy was awesome); Kim Criswell singing "I Want The Good Times Back" from "The Little Mermaid"; and Ramin Karimloo & Leila Benn Harris singing "When You're Gone" from "In The Heights".

Presenter James Corden was fantastic too - and seriously nuts LOL. The funniest moment was when Sheridan Smith announced that the next award was for Best Lighting and James Corden quipped in jest, "Are we really giving an award for that sh*t?" And then the lighting guy switched off all the lights!

As for the awards themselves, just about everyone I voted for did not win (so what do I Know? LOL). It just means that any awards simply come down to the personal tastes and opinions of whoever votes - in this case the members of the great British theatre public who bothered to fill in an online form. (The only awards I seriously disagreed with though were Best Actor in a Musical and Best Supporting Actor in a musical - great as Ryan Molloy is in JB, I can't believe Douglas Hodge didn't win - and I thought Jason Pennycooke should have won too.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 2/16/09 at 04:27 PM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is an absolutely farcical way to conduct awards. I chose not to participate in the voting because, for some of the categories, I had not seen all the nominated shows and/or performers. How can the results possibly be fair and true unless all voters have seen all the performances on offer?

Let's just hope the Oliviers are a bit more grounded in reality.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
These are the *theatre-goers' choice* awards. Anyone who was expecting anything other than a bizarrely-skewed popularity contest deserves to be mocked, and that includes you, hotjohn. re: WhatsOnStage Theatregoers Choice Awards Results If you want theatre awards that allegedly mean something, stick with the Oliviers or start up your own.

What's with all these people being surprised all of a sudden that awards voted for by the general population are so... well, general and populist? :P
jcdenton08
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
These particular awards don't and never have had anything to do with critical analysis of talent and performance.

If they did, Elena Roger would've won for Piaf and certainly not Kenneth Branagh for his bland Ivanov.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jersey Boys sweeps the awards and spends a small fortune on advertising all over the website. Hmm..