Page: 1

West End Advice

Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Advice#1
Posted: 1/23/09 at 3:54pm
So I'm making an impromptu trip to London for a few days at the end of February to see my partner (a reunion this soon is unprecedented for us, so it's sort of a big deal). We're definitely seeing Oliver as we had so much fun watching the entire series of I'd Do Anything (I adore Jodie, she was my pick from the very beginning). We have time for one more show, but are unable to decide. We were thinking about the Sunset Boulevard scaled-down revival at the Watermill, which has received raves, but I'm really not into the whole actors-playing-instruments thing. What are the hot plays at the moment? Any suggestions?
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
JOak Profile PhotoJOak Profile Photo
JOak
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: West End Advice#2
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:03pm
You have Hairspray (amazing cast), La Cage Aux Folles, Carousel.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#2
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:28pm
I've seen three (kinda four) actor-musician shows, and I personally reckon that Sunset Boulevard did it best. And that includes Company, which I adored. If you buy the super-cheap tickets for way up at the back of Sunset, they'll probably relocate you to a more expensive seat in the name of not opening the balcony. It's... not massively well attended in London. re: West End Advice

I can't think of much I'd recommend playwise right now. War Horse is awesome but 1) requires queueing up in the early morning for day seats and 2) appears to be having a short break at the end of February. The Woman in Black will always be one of my favourites, but I feel you've already seen it? It'll always be around, anyway. Twelfth Night is pretty awesome, but it's all personal taste really.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#3
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:42pm
I called a friend of mine in Gillingham who said Sunset Boulevard is on TKTS every day, so we may go that route. Believe it or not, I have not seen Woman in Black. I love that idea! My mother saw the show and loved it. Hmmm...I wonder if I can talk my partner into see it. Since English is not his native language, sometimes the plays are a bit harder for him to follow and Shakespeare is pretty much out. I'll look into War Horse. Since we're only there for essentially a long weekend, I really wish there were more Sunday performances. re: West End Advice
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#4
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:48pm
Shame Shakespeare's out then, Twelfth Night does Sundays. XD

I saw The Woman in Black in Japanese last year. It helped that I'd already seen it and there were surtitles, but the really fun parts are the creepy, atmospheric bits with little-to-no dialogue, so not being a Japanese speaker wasn't a problem. :3 It's a fairly straight-forward ghost story anyway, so shouldn't be too hard to follow; the real brilliance is in *how* it's told. :3
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#5
Posted: 1/23/09 at 6:00pm
Gillingham! Thats like 2minutes down the road from me :)
I'm off to see The Woman in Black again in March, we have stalls, row c aisle seats..i'm not looking foward to this!! :S

If your partners English isn't really great, Twelfth Night is probably gonna be a problem, because there are a couple of moments of fast repartee that i had trouble understanding and i am english! Also the jokes and laughs come a lot from the language etc...have fun whatever you do :)
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#6
Posted: 1/23/09 at 6:20pm
Hairspray, Plague over England, and whatever's at the National.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#7
Posted: 1/26/09 at 12:52pm
Ok, so once my partner learned of Graham Norton in La Cage, it was a done deal. We booked La Cage and Oliver and really looking forward to both. I only wish we had a longer visit to catch some more shows.

legallysam - I was in Gillingham last Easter. It was utterly charming and we drove out to Rochester to check out the castle, cathedral and the Haversham house. I also remember having dinner at the great restaurant, though I can't remember the name. It had to do with a mini-stonehenge in the area. We loved it, though. If we had more time, we'd be staying in Gillingham again.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#8
Posted: 1/26/09 at 1:52pm
Did you just say Gillingham was...ch...charming? You obviously didn't stay very long...its a hell hole!

Rochester is lovely though, especially in the summer! In my 17years, i've never been in the cathedral or castle...my lasting memory of rochester is after we got our exam results we all went down to the castle grounds with various alcoholic drinks in brown paper bags, and just stayed and did all the silly kiddy things like frisbee and It :P ahh good times!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#9
Posted: 1/26/09 at 4:14pm
I thought Rochester was nice when I was there a few years back - the castle is very impressive.

There were some trashy kids hanging around doing strange things with brown paper bags though.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#10
Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:14pm
Oooh Scripps! Was that you in the bushes with the binoculours?
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Advice#11
Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:20pm
leagllysam - For an American who has never been to Gillingham and only stayed a couple of days, it was charming. It helped that I have some wonderful friends there with a lovely home. I really cherish the time I get to spend with them. We spend hours gathering around the piano and singing showtunes together.